Furnance shuts down - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Furnance shuts down

Frequently the propane furnance will run until it reaches it's set level and then will not go back on when the temp inside drops below the set level. If I take the cover off the unit and hit the re-set switch, put the cover back on, it works fine. Does this have anything to do with the amount of propane left in the tank? Any other ideas?
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you have the same thermostat we have, I would say that it has to be on Automatic. You see an "Au" when first setting it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Does it try to come back on but not light, or does it not attempt to ignite at all?

If the former, could be a sail switch, igniter issue, or obstruction/debris. If the latter, it could be the motor relay or control board issue. You do have plenty of propane, right?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19
I think I have enough propane. But it seemed to happen more frequently when my tank got low. I put it on the full tank and it seemed to work okay for a few days, then started to go off again. Propane level? Could that be the problem?
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Some times if the battery is less than 50% and you have some lights on or other devices the furnace will not work ,.it needs a certain voltage to work proper .
Old 05-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Propane problems are never really tank level, but rather tank pressure. The connection is that the propane is chilled while propane is flowing out, and if the level is low enough that lowers the temperature (and thus pressure) of the propane too much.

If the problem is propane pressure, it should fit into Robert's "try to come back on but not light" category. If it's not even trying, I don't think it has anything to do with the propane supply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Propane problems are never really tank level, but rather tank pressure. The connection is that the propane is chilled while propane is flowing out, and if the level is low enough that lowers the temperature (and thus pressure) of the propane too much.

If the problem is propane pressure, it should fit into Robert's "try to come back on but not light" category. If it's not even trying, I don't think it has anything to do with the propane supply.
I agree. Not attempting to start after the initial cycle (and requiring a reset to function again), suggests something electronic, like the motor relay or board. But, I'd also check on the battery, as Mike suggested.