Generator for Escape 21 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
most generators are not grounded, so you'l need a 'ground bonding adapter' which ties ground to neutral at the generator, and also ideally physically ground the generator to a stake or steel water pipe... if you do this, the EMS should be fine with the generator power.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #102

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Any issues with the EMS-HW30c (ETI installed surge protector) and generators? Would EMS system need to be in "bypass mode" for generator to work? Read somewhere if running in "bypass mode", would void warranty. Need to check on that. thanks
You can make a bonding plug or buy one so you don’t need to run EMS in bypass:
https://www.microair.net/products/ge...r-bonding-plug

Never heard that bypass mode would void a warranty. The only generator that I’m aware of that supposedly cannot be run with the HW30C is the Yamaha EF2000iS. More info here:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer
Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #103

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I suspect I will need to open it up an make the neutral/ground bond internally.

As to propane pressure, I am pretty sure this will only run on high pressure (direct from the tank), and not function on the trailer's low pressure system. Since I already carry a 5 pound propane tank for my grill, if I get the generator, I'll just switch to carrying a 20 pound tank instead.

Just following up to see how this all worked out, and whether you found a way to adapt your Ryobi to low pressure QR or not? I too have occasionally longed for a small propane fired gennie for those extended stays under solar resistant canopy.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #104

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Just following up to see how this all worked out, and whether you found a way to adapt your Ryobi to low pressure QR or not? I too have occasionally longed for a small propane fired gennie for those extended stays under solar resistant canopy.
I do have the generator. Runs great, but only on high pressure. I did open up the single 120V connector to add a bonding jumper.

Again, this is only a 700 watt generator - you do have to shut down most of the trailer to use the converter if the batteries are down.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #105

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Finally received my Hutch Mountain Propane conversion (took 6 weeks from order) for my Honda 2200. Got it Installed it and it works great!

I like that it can use either fuel and takes no fiddling to switch between gas and propane. The switch at the lower right of the gen now has a 'propane on', 'gasoline on', 'engine off 'positions and that's all it takes to change fuels.

The 'propane on' does not actually turn on propane, it just turns the gas off so you can switch to propane.

Running on natural gas requires pulling the propane hose from its clamp, installing a small fuel jet and pushing the hose back in its clamp. I don't have any plans on doing that.

The carb needs to be dry of gas before switching to propane so you switch to 'propane on' while it's running on gas and that burns the remaining gas in the carb. Turn on the propane and restart. No problem!