Generator for Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Generator for Escape 21

Greetings everyone!

Yes, another question pertaining to generators. As stated above, we have an Escape 21 and we love it! We're in the market for a generator mainly because we travel with four dogs, we travel to secluded areas for fly fishing and to get away from other campers. We have been adventuring on 4-5 day trips, so I'm looking at the Honda2200 or the Generac3000. Any opinions? We're very new to the trailor world, any help is greatly appreciated. Stay safe and have fun!

MoBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you considered a good solar setup? You can have all the power you need short of running the A/C. We just got back from Mexico and Arizona and never felt the need for a genset. The MaxxFan with an open window worked great for the time the dogs were left behind.

If you do need a genset, the Honda 2200 is a great unit.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Generator and Solar

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information. We do have the solar hook up, we're still in the process of purchasing the panels. I will say this, we live 2.5 hours north of Seattle and usually venture out in very shaded areas. Two weeks ago we could not charge out cell phones with our solar charging units. We had to hke to an area where there was sun light to charge our phones. No big deal, but something to take into consideration when charging with solar. Maybe? Again, thanks.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
If you are going to buy anytime soon, you may have to get the Generac. I went to Amazon to compare the two- can't find the eu2200i. Web sleuthing led me to a forum that mentioned a recall of the eu2200i. More sleuthing leads to:

https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...er-generators/
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Generator for Escape 21

We have the Honda 2200 and it works great, runs the AC with no problems.
IMG_3684.jpg
IMG_3685.jpg

As for the recall, it took less then an hour, valve changed, all good. I was told all new stock already has this done.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
This is good news. I intend to buy an eu2200i a bit down the road. Nonetheless, it is not currently- right now- available through Amazon, among other vendors.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The smaller inverter generators are great because they are light and easy to handle. We have the Honda EU2000i and love it. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a EU2200i. I would just check that the recalled fuel valve was addressed. Get the quietest generator you can find. Generac doesn’t publish sound data so hard to say how quiet it really is. The Honda is pretty quiet but still bothersome if close to the trailer. There are more players now in the inverter generator space than a few years ago but you just need to be confident you can have it serviced locally if something goes wrong. With either of the generators you listed you will be able to run your A/C and some other items. You won’t be sized adequately to run the A/C simultaneously with another high draw appliance (i.e. microwave), but that is usually fine for most people. The Honda EU2200i is 1800W rated and the Generac GP3000i is 2300W rated. You will have some more headroom on power with the Generac, but it comes with a price in additional weight and fuel consumption. 46.5# EU2200i versus 59.5# GP3000i. 8.1 hours runtime for a EU2200i at 25% rated load versus 5.8 hours for GP3000i.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Honda Recall

Greetings everyone, Thank you for the great advise. I did hear about the Honda recall, I'm waiting to see what becomes of it. I also like the Generac, I have a couple of weeks before we head out again. Again, thank you for all the tips
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I found this video very interesting on how a guy tested a few generators to find what was the quietest. Worth a look.

https://youtu.be/MzsJ4RksYn4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45B3A388-A66A-4142-AB8E-F2D734551BD2.jpg (127.6 KB, 35 views)

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
You didn't mention what you want to run with the generator. If it's the A/C, either of the ones you looked at will work, I happen to have a Honda but I don't recall many options when I got mine 12 years ago. If you just want to recharge the batteries to run the fan and such, you could get away with a 1000. Might take longer to recharge but being smaller and lighter it'd be easier to haul around.

Personally, I'd install and try the solar first. I've not used my Honda since I got the Escape with solar and the 2 6v batteries, don't even take it along anymore.