Generator for Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Generator for Escape 21

Greetings everyone!

Yes, another question pertaining to generators. As stated above, we have an Escape 21 and we love it! We're in the market for a generator mainly because we travel with four dogs, we travel to secluded areas for fly fishing and to get away from other campers. We have been adventuring on 4-5 day trips, so I'm looking at the Honda2200 or the Generac3000. Any opinions? We're very new to the trailor world, any help is greatly appreciated. Stay safe and have fun!
MoBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Have you considered a good solar setup? You can have all the power you need short of running the A/C. We just got back from Mexico and Arizona and never felt the need for a genset. The MaxxFan with an open window worked great for the time the dogs were left behind.

If you do need a genset, the Honda 2200 is a great unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Generator and Solar

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information. We do have the solar hook up, we're still in the process of purchasing the panels. I will say this, we live 2.5 hours north of Seattle and usually venture out in very shaded areas. Two weeks ago we could not charge out cell phones with our solar charging units. We had to hke to an area where there was sun light to charge our phones. No big deal, but something to take into consideration when charging with solar. Maybe? Again, thanks.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
If you are going to buy anytime soon, you may have to get the Generac. I went to Amazon to compare the two- can't find the eu2200i. Web sleuthing led me to a forum that mentioned a recall of the eu2200i. More sleuthing leads to:

https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...er-generators/
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Generator for Escape 21

We have the Honda 2200 and it works great, runs the AC with no problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	37947
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	37948

As for the recall, it took less then an hour, valve changed, all good. I was told all new stock already has this done.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
This is good news. I intend to buy an eu2200i a bit down the road. Nonetheless, it is not currently- right now- available through Amazon, among other vendors.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The smaller inverter generators are great because they are light and easy to handle. We have the Honda EU2000i and love it. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a EU2200i. I would just check that the recalled fuel valve was addressed. Get the quietest generator you can find. Generac doesn’t publish sound data so hard to say how quiet it really is. The Honda is pretty quiet but still bothersome if close to the trailer. There are more players now in the inverter generator space than a few years ago but you just need to be confident you can have it serviced locally if something goes wrong. With either of the generators you listed you will be able to run your A/C and some other items. You won’t be sized adequately to run the A/C simultaneously with another high draw appliance (i.e. microwave), but that is usually fine for most people. The Honda EU2200i is 1800W rated and the Generac GP3000i is 2300W rated. You will have some more headroom on power with the Generac, but it comes with a price in additional weight and fuel consumption. 46.5# EU2200i versus 59.5# GP3000i. 8.1 hours runtime for a EU2200i at 25% rated load versus 5.8 hours for GP3000i.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Honda Recall

Greetings everyone, Thank you for the great advise. I did hear about the Honda recall, I'm waiting to see what becomes of it. I also like the Generac, I have a couple of weeks before we head out again. Again, thank you for all the tips
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I found this video very interesting on how a guy tested a few generators to find what was the quietest. Worth a look.

https://youtu.be/MzsJ4RksYn4
Attached Thumbnails
45B3A388-A66A-4142-AB8E-F2D734551BD2.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You didn't mention what you want to run with the generator. If it's the A/C, either of the ones you looked at will work, I happen to have a Honda but I don't recall many options when I got mine 12 years ago. If you just want to recharge the batteries to run the fan and such, you could get away with a 1000. Might take longer to recharge but being smaller and lighter it'd be easier to haul around.

Personally, I'd install and try the solar first. I've not used my Honda since I got the Escape with solar and the 2 6v batteries, don't even take it along anymore.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I would consider a dual fuel model. I got a GREAT deal a few years ago on the Champion 3400 watt generator that is non dual fuel because at the time dumb me did not know there was such a thing but other then that fantastic generator.
Their same version in the dual fuel seems to be the #1 rated dual fuel generator available if you do some research. Only negative is it is heavy mostly because of the electric start on that model (93 lbs) but when we start full timing more unless technology has changed by then we will go in that direction. I do not want to haul gas around just for a generator.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBar View Post
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information. We do have the solar hook up, we're still in the process of purchasing the panels. I will say this, we live 2.5 hours north of Seattle and usually venture out in very shaded areas. Two weeks ago we could not charge out cell phones with our solar charging units. We had to hke to an area where there was sun light to charge our phones. No big deal, but something to take into consideration when charging with solar. Maybe? Again, thanks.
I too camp in some shade a lot of the time, and usually still have my batteries charged during the day. If it is overcast and/or shady, I will deploy an 80W portable if needed, but in two years of having roof mount solar, have only had to do that a few times.

I am not following the lack of cell phone charging, as that has nothing to do with solar. As long as their is charge in your trailer batteries, it takes very little to keep a phone charged. We have never once had any issue with this.

I love the freedom solar gives me. My genset stays at home and I no longer look for hookups, and in fact try for camping spots without them.

Some folks love their gensets, but if you took a toll, I would bet the vast majority would rather they not be used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #13

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I would consider a dual fuel model.
Is this the one? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01FAWMM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You didn't mention what you want to run with the generator. If it's the A/C, either of the ones you looked at will work, I happen to have a Honda but I don't recall many options when I got mine 12 years ago. If you just want to recharge the batteries to run the fan and such, you could get away with a 1000. Might take longer to recharge but being smaller and lighter it'd be easier to haul around.

Personally, I'd install and try the solar first. I've not used my Honda since I got the Escape with solar and the 2 6v batteries, don't even take it along anymore.
I have a Yamaha 2400 that I took with me to Quartzite this year. Turns out, I didn't need it as my 300 watts of solar was enough. However, a friend of mine ended up using it to recharge his batteries - the cloudy days had run his batteries down to the point where he was concerned.

Sometimes the sun doesn't shine enough or the only trailer parking is in the shade and a generator comes in handy. Oh, if the weather gets a little too warm - solar can't run the A/C.

Sort of like a spare tire - you may never need it but it's handy to have when you do.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Seems to me if you got the extra solar panel option vs the generator, you would be better off both financially and ecologically.....
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
- the cloudy days had run his batteries down to the point where he was concerned.
Combined with some heavier use of the inverter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems to me if you got the extra solar panel option vs the generator, you would be better off both financially and ecologically.....
This works for me.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Trust me I would much rather live in a world I did not need an air condition but leaving and camping mostly in the south in the summer time they are must have's to run an AC if you do not have hook ups. Our Escape did not come with any solar (wish it did) but plan to add that. One day we will be full timing it more often and see us in areas at times we will want the generator for running the AC.
I understand in Minnesota schools don't have AC, I wonder how much schools in Georgia pay for just that alone every year in added cost?

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Whether or not you need a generator has a whole lot to do with where and the time of year you camp. IF you need A/C, it would mean you need to be hooked up or have a generator. The only other option would be to be hot! Lucky those that can always search out cooler places but that's not always an option.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We have done nicely with just solar, but much of our camping is in the mountainous West but not the Pacific Northwest (PNW) where there's more water, more trees, and much more shade.

With recent developments in our area that include area power shutdowns whenever there are high winds in brush fire seasons, our new plan is to get a Honda 2200i, and add a Hutch Mountain Tri-power kit to it. That will enable us to run the Honda on gasoline (probably rarely), natural gas (to power refrigeration, lights, and electronics at home), and propane (camping with A/C, or even at home).
We are just waiting out the Honda recall process regarding problems with the gasoline fuel valve.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #20

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
We picked our 21 up in June of last year (fitted with solar and dual batteries) and towed to Alaska. Took a Champion 3500 Dual Fuel gen set as a back up (tested it with propane before we left). Seven weeks on the road and never used the generator (sat for the whole trip in the truck bed). At roughly $1000, it's expensive, but provided peace of mind. And yes, it is heavy.

Marv