Generator-Honda 2000- to keep or to sell? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsherrard View Post
Thank you, thank you!! for this info. I've been about to post a question about this for a while -- we need a generator at our summer cabin: unreliable power grid and a fridge and freezer full of food (not to mention -- the unmentionable sewer pump...). Since we already have propane for the grill, and shortly for the 5.0TA (Tuesday!), and because gasoline is obnoxious, we definitely want to pursue the conversion.
Overall I am very happy with the propane conversion

Just be aware that it runs slightly differently.

Subtle - but I suspect that it may have slightly less "oomph" on propane

Plus I have never run it at high altitude. It may run less well there.

Just be sure to research it - and maybe call the conversion kit company I mentioned above.

And .... I bought a big Tupperware container at Home Depot to fit it al in. Protects the conversion bits that jut out the bottom.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Definitely true. I have a Tri-fuel generator from Northern Tools powered bu Honda. 6,500 wattsxwith surge to 8,000. The manual states that each fuel has a different output, with gasoline having the most oomph, propane in second place, and natural gas having the least.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have a Tri-fuel generator from Northern Tools powered bu Honda. 6,500 wattsxwith surge to 8,000. The manual states that each fuel has a different output, with gasoline having the most oomph, propane in second place, and natural gas having the least.
That's expected with engines like this, which have vapour carburetors. Gasoline is delivered to the engine as a mist of liquid. The propane and natural gas go in as vapour, so they take up space that would otherwise be air. The maximum power produced is limited by how much fuel is burned, and that is limited by how much air can be taken in, and the vapour fuel is competing with air for space. Natural gas (which is methane and some ethane) is less dense than propane, so it takes up even more space... so less power.

This reduced power isn't an efficiency concern: there's less power, but proportionately less fuel burned.

Turbocharging fixes this, but of course small generators don't have turbochargers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Overall I am very happy with the propane conversion

Just be aware that it runs slightly differently.

Plus I have never run it at high altitude. It may run less well there.

Just be sure to research it - and maybe call the conversion kit company I mentioned above.

And .... I bought a big Tupperware container at Home Depot to fit it al in. Protects the conversion bits that jut out the bottom.
Thanks for the pointers -- esp. the idea to put it in a plastic tub for protection. I'll post when we've done it and had some experience.
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just wanted to add that we experimented running the 11,500 BTU Duotherm A/C unit with a Honda EU2000i on a recently acquired 2010 19' and it worked just fine. Granted this is near sea level. Can't run the microwave at the same time though which was to be expected. Can't beat the Honda 2000 for portability, reliability and ease of use.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just wanted to add that we experimented running the 11,500 BTU Duotherm A/C unit with a Honda EU2000i on a recently acquired 2010 19' and it worked just fine. Granted this is near sea level. Can't run the microwave at the same time though which was to be expected. Can't beat the Honda 2000 for portability, reliability and ease of use.
Correction to my post just to avoid any confusion: The A/C unit is 11,000 BTU with 10.5 RLA (rated load amps). For those that don't know the Honda EU2000i is rated at 13.3A (1600W) continuous with a max of 16.7A (2000W) which is recommended for no more than 30 minutes.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #27
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Good info. Will add to my list. I like the idea of a two way generator. May convert my home unit as well.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Good info. Will add to my list. I like the idea of a two way generator. May convert my home unit as well.
The nicest thing about a propane / gas generator is that gasoline goes "off" after 6 months... propane *never* does.

our Honda 2000 sure does run cleanly on propane.

there is a reason that the 2000 is so popular. It is a great unit
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Does the honda 2000i run the air condition if it has been switched to propane instead of gasoline?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Does the honda 2000i run the air condition if it has been switched to propane instead of gasoline?
Great question. It will be interesting to see if anyone has done it. I can say that I wouldn't want to run the 11,000 BTU Duotherm on anything less than the Honda EU2000i running on gasoline. It is right in the sweet spot for constant generator load. Propane has an energy content 74% that of gasoline. A propane conversion website that I found claims (of course) that there is no loss in power and fuel consumption is nearly the same. This is just simply not possible. Even if it did barely run the A/C you would be working the machine very hard. Altitude would make it even worse. General rule is 10% derate for every 3,000 feet. I'd love to hear real-world experience with propane, but absent that I would leave the Honda alone or be prepared to revert to gasoline to run the A/C if you feel compelled to do the conversion.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Propane has an energy content 74% that of gasoline.
Sounds about right... per unit volume. That's the reason that you need more volume of propane to produce the same energy from the engine than with gasoline.

Quote:
A propane conversion website that I found claims (of course) that there is no loss in power and fuel consumption is nearly the same. This is just simply not possible.
No loss of power is not possible without other changes. That site may be assuming changes such as increased compression ratio, which are not done in these simple generator conversions.
The great thing about a statement such as "nearly the same" is that it doesn't mean anything specific. How much more is "nearly the same" - 1%? 5%? 20%?...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #32
GCS

Well the question now is will the Honda 2000i still run an AC if it's been converted to propane as some report that the unit is marginal at best when running on gas.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Well the question now is will the Honda 2000i still run an AC if it's been converted to propane as some report that the unit is marginal at best when running on gas.
I can't speak to the Honda 2000 on propane but I do know that the Yamaha 2000 on propane will not run my Casita AC. It will run it on gasoline. I'm pretty sure the capabilities of the Honda and Yamaha are very, very close to the same. So, I think it may be safe to assume that even if the Honda 2000 will run the AC on propane it would be doing it on the edge of its capability.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I can't speak to the Honda 2000 on propane but I do know that the Yamaha 2000 on propane will not run my Casita AC. It will run it on gasoline. I'm pretty sure the capabilities of the Honda and Yamaha are very, very close to the same. So, I think it may be safe to assume that even if the Honda 2000 will run the AC on propane it would be doing it on the edge of its capability.
Thanks for sharing real-world info Dave. That would have been my guess based on the numbers, but that is assuming a rooftop A/C with considerable draw similar to those on an Escape. Can you share your Casita AC specs so we know what you were asking of the generator?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I forgot to ask.... how do Escape owners transport the generators and the gas? Would it possibly go in that large box at the front?
There is this option you can use :

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tank-6863.html
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #36
GCS

I was afraid of that. I'm sure the output is identical. Guess I will plan on coverting the Honda 3K and mount it either in a top box in the bed of a supercrew or see if I can fab a box for it to ride on the tongue. Then I will know for sure that I'm covered. Best option would be to fab a tongue box. Will use diamond plate if dimensions permit. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I don't really need or want the hassle of carrying a generator with me while camping, I have experienced too many camp sites where noise from neighbors generators bothered me at all hours of the day and night. But if I did ever get a generator for boondocking in the desert heat, I would seriously consider a Yamaha 2400 size as it seems just about right for the Escape air conditioner.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #38

generator specs

For those that might be wondering, the Honda EU2000i and Yamaha EF2000iS that we part of the original thread discussions have the exact same performance specs on paper: 1600W (13.3A) rated, with maximum 2000W (16.7A).

Also another handy feature to keep in mind with these two inverter generators (and probably others out there) is the 12V, 8amp battery charging feature. Might take a little while but if you carry the special cord and your tow vehicle battery dies you should be able to provide enough juice to get started. This happened to me once and I was lucky I could just steal the group 24 12V trailer battery, but this is not possible for those out there running dual 6V or maybe even big 12V that may not fit in the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #39
GCS

Sounds like a good argument for a duel battery setup under the hood. Should be able to fit one in somewhere.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I picked up this one on a one day deal at Woot for $380. Sold out now, but they run it from time to time.
http://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-Sta.../dp/B00SMNLF4M

I had been borrowing a friends Honda 2000, and so far I'd rate the WEN a match in noise level, power, and performance. It has really good reviews around the web and I figured I could buy 3 of these for what they want for a Honda.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote