Generator-Honda 2000- to keep or to sell? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Generator-Honda 2000- to keep or to sell?

I have a brand new Honda 2000 Generator that I bought to use with my Casita trailer. Last weekend I discovered the Escape trailers and I am now putting my Casita up for sale and wondering if I should sale the generator also. Do many Escape owners use generators and if so what size and brand is the best and can run the air-conditioner? Do more people use solar panels instead? I don't think that we will do much boondocking.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 2015 17B
I suggest that you keep it. You might need it to run your airconditioner during summer when off grid or when there is no available electric hookup. The Escape solar panels, if you have one, and trailer battery do not have enough power to run your airconditioner. I bought Honda 2000 gen to run the AC installed on my 17B 2015 when off grid.
Kryg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Thanks KRG, I notice that you are close by in San Angelo. My husband and I live in Tuscola TX just south of Abilene. We just put our downpayment on our escape on Monday and I am trying to figure out as much as possible on the Escapes and what we should do. We are getting our 17' Casita 2015 ready to sell.
Nancy
Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #4

I forgot to ask.... how do Escape owners transport the generators and the gas? Would it possibly go in that large box at the front?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There is a definite trend away from using a generator, but as Kryg330 mentioned, A/C is about the only reason to use it these days with solar becoming more prevalent, and more cost efficient too.

Nancy, have you put ordered an Escape yet?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

I am glad to answer questions you have. If you wish, you can look at my 17B around after May 7 as I am on convalescent leave this week and then I'll be attending a conference in FL next week.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

I have a truck so I place it on the bed. When it is not smelling gas I place inside the trailer. It does not move much inside the trailer when travelling on flat lands. Tie it when traveling on hills and mountains.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
You can get a propane conversion kit for the Honda so you don't have to worry about carrying gasoline. I originally bought my generator as an emergency back up for the house, but plan to use it occasionally for the trailer.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Yes, I did it first thing Monday morning! Saw an Escape on Friday morn and ordered it on Monday Morn. Walter and I went to our first Casita Rally with our 2015 Casita and saw an Escape and it was all over.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
You can get a propane conversion kit for the Honda so you don't have to worry about carrying gasoline. I originally bought my generator as an emergency back up for the house, but plan to use it occasionally for the trailer.
Honda 2000 propane gas conversion:

A few different make conversion kits... and after a bunch of research I went with Propane carbs: 1-877-425-8383

The conversion works well, and at one point I had a question, and I called them and they were very responsive and helpful. They were as well before the sale.

It was a little fiddly to do myself - but someone who was more mechanically minded than me would find it easy.

I took my time, and did give them a call once to have them walk me thru one step.

It consistently starts on the first few pulls, and fits in a large Tupperware type bin I bought at HomeDepot.

The big plus for Propane + Honda 2000 conversion kit is:

It can still run on gasoline if need be……. but I have NEVER put gasoline in my Honda 2000.

We live in an earthquake zone (SoCal) and a generator is a good thing to have!

Gasoline goes stale and bad in 6-ish months… so I did not want to have to keep gasoline around, and also have to rotate it….

We always have 3 propane bottles around… and propane NEVER goes stale.

There is zero smell, as it has never had gas in it.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
In the past year we had two power outages, one lasting over two days. Our Honda 2000 proved invaluable as we entertained our family staying with us and saved all our deep freeze food from melting. We keep hearing we should be prepared for a big earthquake as well. The generator would be a huge bonus.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the good info.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB

As others have suggested, I would probably keep it. Living in the southwest, there are lots of wide open spaces, and even if you don't plan on much boondocking, you'll have more options if you do. We love camping in BLM, National Forest or other public land for example, and we never really thought we would camp there. The other thing is that a genny is useful at home or in many other situations that have nothing to do with camping.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We have a generator which we keep for power outages at home. So far, most of our camping has been without any hookups and the solar works just fine.

I think there have been posts on this forum that the ETI installed surge protector may not like being hooked up to a generator. Is that right?
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #15

Yes, we have to turn off the power protection when running on generator. Elsewhere on this forum is information on a device that can be built to fool the protection into working with the generator. I'm not sure if that is safe though, should there be a short in the electrical.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you were asking if you should buy one, based on what you've posted as to your camping style... I'd say no. But since you already own it, keep it.

We all know what was in our past. None of us know what our future may bring. You may be surprised where you choose to camp and the generator may prove invaluable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #17

I am not familiar with the air conditioner in the Escape, but can a Honda 2000 run it. I am in Texas and Florida and really need the air conditioner.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #18

Your Honda 2000 generator will run it if you turn the battery disconnect switch to off, so the power goes only to the AC. We have verified this after being instructed to do it by Reace.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I am not familiar with the air conditioner in the Escape, but can a Honda 2000 run it. I am in Texas and Florida and really need the air conditioner.

Short answer yes. Long answer is that you won't be able to power much else. If you want to have reliable AC and power other things as well, then a 2500 or 3000 watt makes more sense. If you ask Dometic, their stock answer is a 3000 watt or higher system.

This is one of those cases where we know it will work, even though the documentation suggests it won't. Reace has tested it and it worked fine.

Be aware however that altitude will have an effect on that. The higher you go, the less power you can produce with it. But, being in Texas and Florida, that's not really an issue.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Honda 2000 propane gas conversion:

A few different make conversion kits... and after a bunch of research I went with Propane carbs: 1-877-425-8383

The conversion works well, and at one point I had a question, and I called them and they were very responsive and helpful. They were as well before the sale.

It was a little fiddly to do myself - but someone who was more mechanically minded than me would find it easy.

I took my time, and did give them a call once to have them walk me thru one step.

It consistently starts on the first few pulls, and fits in a large Tupperware type bin I bought at HomeDepot.

The big plus for Propane + Honda 2000 conversion kit is:

It can still run on gasoline if need be……. but I have NEVER put gasoline in my Honda 2000.

We live in an earthquake zone (SoCal) and a generator is a good thing to have!

Gasoline goes stale and bad in 6-ish months… so I did not want to have to keep gasoline around, and also have to rotate it….

We always have 3 propane bottles around… and propane NEVER goes stale.

There is zero smell, as it has never had gas in it.
Thank you, thank you!! for this info. I've been about to post a question about this for a while -- we need a generator at our summer cabin: unreliable power grid and a fridge and freezer full of food (not to mention -- the unmentionable sewer pump...). Since we already have propane for the grill, and shortly for the 5.0TA (Tuesday!), and because gasoline is obnoxious, we definitely want to pursue the conversion.
Tom and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote