Grey tank operations - best practices - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Grey Tank Probes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
We have a 2015 Escape 19. Upon emptying the grey tank, what is the best method for ensuring no subsequent buildup on the sensors or in the tank? We have been putting clean water in the tank together with dish soap and have had no problems. However this approach uses up tank capacity before you even start camping.

What are "best practices" that work for you?

dave
We started having problems with the grey tank sensors reading full even when I knew, after dumping, that the tank was empty. Bought Camco Probe Cleaner and used as directed (add 8 oz to the grey tank full of hot water, let stand for 24 hours, then go for a drive to slosh it around and dump). Probes are indicating properly again. Have never had any odor problems other than when in the process of dumping the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0746.jpg  
etuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Be sure to read the MSDS Sheet.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Speaking of bad smells-- I can still detect some kind of odd odor when I open a compartment in my trailer that has been shut for a while, the main culprit being the storage area under the bed of my 21. After two years, could this still be outgassing from fiberglass or foam liner adhesive curing? I wouldn't think so, but I haven't owned a fiberglass trailer before.

The black holding tank is under the bed, but it isn't leaking as far as I can tell (thank God). I can detect bad odors, but I have problems distinguishing one bad smell from another, thanks to spending a few years raising pigs earlier in life. My sense of smell has shorted out.
Just guessing here but look closely at the junction where the vent tube connects to the top of the black tank. A very tiny crack or pinhole could allow gas to escape into the trailer without leaking any liquid.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think probably so TankTechs can make money. Are you on commission?
No I have never talked to or contacted TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean! although sometime before I get my trailer I probably will, and become a rep for them. Is there something wrong with private companies making money? After all, that's how we pay for bureaucrats to tell us what to do.

I have been a tent camper and every time I camp near a bunch of trailers, campers and motorhomes there is an occasional stench in the air. I used to think it came from the pit toilets, which I detest, at the National Forest campgrounds here in Colorado. After looking into this issue I have decided that the stench is more likely coming from one or more of the trailers in the campground, and the pit toilets are probably much better designed and managed by the Forest Service. Just because the stench doesn't come into your trailer doesn't mean you aren't spreading it around the campground from the vent pipe.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Didn't I read somewhere there is a vent of some sort hidden in one of the walls somewhere, I don't remember it's purpose and have yet to encounter it though so I my rememberer may be faulty again.

Discounting when I dumping the tanks, the only "tank" smells I occasionally encounter are, I think, from the tank vents on the roof coming in through the Maxx or bathroom vents..
Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
We started having problems with the grey tank sensors reading full even when I knew, after dumping, that the tank was empty. Bought Camco Probe Cleaner and used as directed (add 8 oz to the grey tank full of hot water, let stand for 24 hours, then go for a drive to slosh it around and dump). Probes are indicating properly again. Have never had any odor problems other than when in the process of dumping the tanks.
During our 3 month stay in Big Bend with full hookups we started to have problems with the grey tank - sensors stuck on 1/3, then 2/3, plus rotten smells. Tried Happy Camper for a while, taking care that it was all dissolved prior to use - with no luck. Decided that the best cure was to have the tank cleaned - but heard rumors of high prices. So, I went to Ebay and found a 5 foot length of medium diameter, thick wall, surgical tubing for about $15 US. Attached the tubing to a garden hose with an on-off valve, lubricated the tubing with some dish soap and gave the grey tank an enema. There are 3 90-degree turns to snake the tubing through to reach the tank but it worked and I ran the hose at full pressure for 5 minutes. The results were excellent but the procedure was gross with all kinds of mold and sludge coming out the tank. Bottom line - now we try to remove all food before washing dishes and will be switching to low suds soap. And there is always the surgical tube enema if the problem comes back.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My plumber told me that garbage disposals increased his income double due to clogged drains. He said to keep all food out of your sewer system at home.....for the cost of some paper towels, good advice.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just an observation: some complain about odors from grey tank and some don't see anything wrong with dumping grey water on the bushes.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I noticed an increase in outgassing once I got past 65.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just an observation: some complain about odors from grey tank and some don't see anything wrong with dumping grey water on the bushes.
Just curious as to what tent campers, who have drawn water from a lake or creek, are supposed to do with it when in national parks with no facilities?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0
I have found that opening the dumping end of the tank and shoving a flexible black water tank cleaning hose into the grey tank works wonders to flush it out. Be fore warned that it takes a little while for all the water you put into the tank to come out at first so be ready to shut off the the valve so you don't get to much spillage.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Didn't I read somewhere there is a vent of some sort hidden in one of the walls somewhere, I don't remember it's purpose and have yet to encounter it though so I my rememberer may be faulty again.
Yes, on the 19 at least, there is a hidden vent inside the trailer. It uses a "cheater vent" for the bathroom sink. It is located on the wall between the bathroom and the closet. It has the potential to leak tank odors to the trailer interior. Normally it's not a problem.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I noticed an increase in outgassing once I got past 65.
It's the result of all the green vegetables "they" tell you to eat,
so you can indeed live long and prosper.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #34

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
The evidence for probiotics is marginal at best in humans for the various indications which folks claim they are useful. There are very few well designed randomized clinical trials and where there is probiotics typically see no significant benefit over placebo.

I think probiotics in holding tanks is even a greater stretch. Reduce the length of time with contents in the tanks, reduce the amount of organic solids in grey tank if possible, flush and use a tank deodorizer if needed.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Yes, in some models. It is apparently supposed to be an air admittance location for the grey waste system, which would mean it should have a one-way valve on it, so air can go in to allow wastewater to flow but gases don't come out... but the end is just open (and high enough that it doesn't overflow).

Previous discussion thread: How does plumbing vent system work?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
D So, I went to Ebay and found a 5 foot length of medium diameter, thick wall, surgical tubing for about $15 US. Attached the tubing to a garden hose with an on-off valve, lubricated the tubing with some dish soap and gave the grey tank an enema. There are 3 90-degree turns to snake the tubing through to reach the tank but it worked and I ran the hose at full pressure for 5 minutes. The results were excellent but the procedure was gross with all kinds of mold and sludge coming out the tank. Bottom line - now we try to remove all food before washing dishes and will be switching to low suds soap. And there is always the surgical tube enema if the problem comes back.

--
Alan
The Flush King has worked well to rinse out the tanks, and no worry's about the outflow. I try and rinse them out whenever we get stuck paying for full hookups.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We've never experienced those type of buildups/odors, etc. in the grey or the fresh tanks folks have discussed on here. I've changed 30 yr old tanks that have always been in the SW and they're clean. It may be a by-product of the climate in PNW and the dry desert or less humid climates don't experience these buildups/odors. We aren't particularly careful with what goes in the grey tank, but do keep them dumped and dry between trips, so really thinking this is more a climate contributor if your tanks are getting fouled.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
After sanitizing the fresh tank and lines with bleach in the fall and spring, I dump that water into the grey, add some more bleach to it, fill the rest of the grey tank with water and let it sit for a few days. That has seemed to clean all the gunk out and keep our grey tank from ever smelling. I sometimes do the same for the black and it seems to (at least until the first flush with toilet paper) clean off the sensor probes.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, in some models. It is apparently supposed to be an air admittance location for the grey waste system, which would mean it should have a one-way valve on it, so air can go in to allow wastewater to flow but gases don't come out... but the end is just open (and high enough that it doesn't overflow).

]
You're absolutely correct, , mine doesn't have a cheater valve

Difficult to access the area. If I hadn't added a second door under the furnace I wouldn't have been able to squeeze my head partly in and confirm that there isn't even a cheater vent as opposed to venting to the exterior, just an uncapped pipe. As Brian points out, that can allow gases from rotting food etc., directly into the interior living space.

I don't know of any jurisdiction that would allow for this situation. A small line to a skin vent or a cheater vent would be preferable to the existing situation. Certainly the wrong mix of food waste etc. with high temperatures could vent some nasty smells to the interior.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have you talked to ETI about this vent? Could it be an error in the build rather than a design flaw?