Grey tank operations - best practices - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Grey Tank Probes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
We have a 2015 Escape 19. Upon emptying the grey tank, what is the best method for ensuring no subsequent buildup on the sensors or in the tank? We have been putting clean water in the tank together with dish soap and have had no problems. However this approach uses up tank capacity before you even start camping.

What are "best practices" that work for you?

dave
We started having problems with the grey tank sensors reading full even when I knew, after dumping, that the tank was empty. Bought Camco Probe Cleaner and used as directed (add 8 oz to the grey tank full of hot water, let stand for 24 hours, then go for a drive to slosh it around and dump). Probes are indicating properly again. Have never had any odor problems other than when in the process of dumping the tanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (171.6 KB, 15 views)

etuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #22

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Be sure to read the MSDS Sheet.

SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #23

Trailer: Eureka Equinox 6 person tent. (with a broken zipper) 5.0 TA on order July 2017 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Speaking of bad smells-- I can still detect some kind of odd odor when I open a compartment in my trailer that has been shut for a while, the main culprit being the storage area under the bed of my 21. After two years, could this still be outgassing from fiberglass or foam liner adhesive curing? I wouldn't think so, but I haven't owned a fiberglass trailer before.

The black holding tank is under the bed, but it isn't leaking as far as I can tell (thank God). I can detect bad odors, but I have problems distinguishing one bad smell from another, thanks to spending a few years raising pigs earlier in life. My sense of smell has shorted out.
Just guessing here but look closely at the junction where the vent tube connects to the top of the black tank. A very tiny crack or pinhole could allow gas to escape into the trailer without leaking any liquid.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think probably so TankTechs can make money. Are you on commission?
No I have never talked to or contacted TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean! although sometime before I get my trailer I probably will, and become a rep for them. Is there something wrong with private companies making money? After all, that's how we pay for bureaucrats to tell us what to do.

I have been a tent camper and every time I camp near a bunch of trailers, campers and motorhomes there is an occasional stench in the air. I used to think it came from the pit toilets, which I detest, at the National Forest campgrounds here in Colorado. After looking into this issue I have decided that the stench is more likely coming from one or more of the trailers in the campground, and the pit toilets are probably much better designed and managed by the Forest Service. Just because the stench doesn't come into your trailer doesn't mean you aren't spreading it around the campground from the vent pipe.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Didn't I read somewhere there is a vent of some sort hidden in one of the walls somewhere, I don't remember it's purpose and have yet to encounter it though so I my rememberer may be faulty again.

Discounting when I dumping the tanks, the only "tank" smells I occasionally encounter are, I think, from the tank vents on the roof coming in through the Maxx or bathroom vents..
Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #26

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etuna View Post
We started having problems with the grey tank sensors reading full even when I knew, after dumping, that the tank was empty. Bought Camco Probe Cleaner and used as directed (add 8 oz to the grey tank full of hot water, let stand for 24 hours, then go for a drive to slosh it around and dump). Probes are indicating properly again. Have never had any odor problems other than when in the process of dumping the tanks.
During our 3 month stay in Big Bend with full hookups we started to have problems with the grey tank - sensors stuck on 1/3, then 2/3, plus rotten smells. Tried Happy Camper for a while, taking care that it was all dissolved prior to use - with no luck. Decided that the best cure was to have the tank cleaned - but heard rumors of high prices. So, I went to Ebay and found a 5 foot length of medium diameter, thick wall, surgical tubing for about $15 US. Attached the tubing to a garden hose with an on-off valve, lubricated the tubing with some dish soap and gave the grey tank an enema. There are 3 90-degree turns to snake the tubing through to reach the tank but it worked and I ran the hose at full pressure for 5 minutes. The results were excellent but the procedure was gross with all kinds of mold and sludge coming out the tank. Bottom line - now we try to remove all food before washing dishes and will be switching to low suds soap. And there is always the surgical tube enema if the problem comes back.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
My plumber told me that garbage disposals increased his income double due to clogged drains. He said to keep all food out of your sewer system at home.....for the cost of some paper towels, good advice.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Just an observation: some complain about odors from grey tank and some don't see anything wrong with dumping grey water on the bushes.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I noticed an increase in outgassing once I got past 65.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just an observation: some complain about odors from grey tank and some don't see anything wrong with dumping grey water on the bushes.
Just curious as to what tent campers, who have drawn water from a lake or creek, are supposed to do with it when in national parks with no facilities?

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote