Grey tank valve busted - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17B
Grey tank valve busted

I decided to flush the grey water tank on my 17B, but when I went to empty, the rod had separated from the valve, so there was no way to open and drain. I took to a RV repair and had the valve replaced. He checked the black tank valve and replaced as well, it would not have lasted much longer. What a mess that would have been! So glad I found the problem while winterizing and not during travels. Something else to check on older trailers!
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
12 years, not bad! Glad you found it when you did.

We weren’t so lucky a year ago when a jackrabbit made a very bad choice to check out our black valve while we were traveling at speed on a highway in the middle of Nowhere, AZ. Dump valve smashed and inoperative. Jackrabbit same. Black tank was full and toilet therefore inoperative. Found a sketchy RV repair place the next morning, conveniently also in Nowhere. Went for breakfast and when we came back we had new valves and a very surly RV mechanic. He explained that the valve had to be cut off because of...reasons. And then of course...full black tank. I did warn him. It wasn’t a surprise. Or shouldn’t have been. I thanked him profusely and gave him a generous tip, super, super grateful that I could pay him to do that particular job and not have to do it myself. Yuck 🤢

I must be getting “older”. I’m telling stories. Ok, where’s my chair in the porch?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
12 years, not bad! Glad you found it when you did.

We weren’t so lucky a year ago when a jackrabbit made a very bad choice to check out our black valve while we were traveling at speed on a highway in the middle of Nowhere, AZ. Dump valve smashed and inoperative. Jackrabbit same. Black tank was full and toilet therefore inoperative. Found a sketchy RV repair place the next morning, conveniently also in Nowhere. Went for breakfast and when we came back we had new valves and a very surly RV mechanic. He explained that the valve had to be cut off because of...reasons. And then of course...full black tank. I did warn him. It wasn’t a surprise. Or shouldn’t have been. I thanked him profusely and gave him a generous tip, super, super grateful that I could pay him to do that particular job and not have to do it myself. Yuck 🤢

I must be getting “older”. I’m telling stories. Ok, where’s my chair in the porch?

I’ve already had 6 glasses of water (2 more to go) and just poured a glass of red wine. I read this in mid-sip, and almost lost it on my IPad.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
So glad I found the problem while winterizing and not during travels.
Note to self: never live anywhere you have to winterize in August
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Replaced our cracked black tank valve earlier this year. Bought one on Amazon, kind of a PITA to install, not too bad. Bought a second one as a spare for our AK trip. Valve is in a vulnerable position easy to break.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote