Hardwired Surge Protector vs Portable - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #21

Trailer: N/A
It 's been my understanding that surge protectors function by diverting overvoltage to a ground. How is this accomplished in practise, as the ground in many electric supply points is questionable?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglong View Post
It 's been my understanding that surge protectors function by diverting overvoltage to a ground. How is this accomplished in practise, as the ground in many electric supply points is questionable?

I’m no electrician and cannot speak directly to your question, but I think that in practice it is a moot point for the following reason. You ask “what if” an overvoltage surge should occur while plugged into an outlet with faulty ground (paraphrasing here as this is how I understand your query). This should be a non-issue if you’re using a Progressive Industries EMS, as the unit tests for ground fault before ever allowing current in. If it finds a fault, it shuts out the current and alerts you with an error code. Unless you bypass the EMS. In which case it still functions as a surge protector, but you are back to your original question, for which I have no straight answer, sorry [emoji52]
Old 09-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglong View Post
The Progressive Dynamics EMS installed by Escape is a multi-mode surge protection device. As such it protects against surges in several ways, not just diverting to ground as in L-G mode. If you want to delve into all the gritty details about surge suppression, the NEMA Surge Protection Institute is a good place to start. Read down to the FAQs on this page where there is a decent write up on the benefits of a multi-mode SPD.

https://www.nemasurge.org/faqs/