Has anybody installed an iSeries tank monitor? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Ordered 17b...
Has anybody installed an iSeries tank monitor?

Hello all. In the process of ordering an Escape and new to RVs in general. After months of self education I have come to the conclusion that nearly everybody hates their tank sensors on most RVs.

I started researching and found the iSeries which seems to solve most of the issues because it reads without having an interior probe. Has anybody used this system?
Scriptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I-Series uses a capacitive sensing method that has the advantage of no probes, but it also has the disadvantage of the sensing tapes sometimes becoming unstuck and falling off the sides of the tanks. That's what happened to mine - they'll also give a false reading if anything sticks to the inside wall of the tank where the sensors are installed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
On my 17b I'm able to monitor tanks visually with out using the sensors. The black tank can be viewed by shutting off the water pump for a sec and looking down the bowl with a flashlight (I know, yuck) and the fresh can be viewed from the outside because the fresh tank is somewhat translucent. The grey tank on our rig is almost exclusively used for hand washing and I'm okay with filling a 5 gal bucket and dumping.
We do use the ETI sensors but as a back up we rely on visual.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback... I think I'll pass and resort to the visual method.

I may at some future point look into using Max Sonars chemical resistant sensors if it becomes an issue and home build a system.

I use them in my water softener to measure the salt level and in my water reservoir to measure the water height.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Has anyone used the Horst Miracle Probes? I am thinking of asking if ETI can install them on the new 21. If you you have the under trailer foam, you can no longer see your tanks (except for the black water tank), and I think it is difficult to install aftermarket. On the other hand, the sensors in our 17b still work fine as long as we rinse the tanks on occasion, so I am not sure it is worth it
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Personally I've not tried them but I know of a few who went with the Horst Probes, no complaints.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

I appreciate the input from everyone... I don't want inaccessible tape coming off and the Horst sensors get good reviews so I am going to see about shipping some up for my build.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are going to change probes, or add the capacitive external sensors, I'd have it done during the build. Getting at the surface & wiring for the black tank, at least in my 17B would be very difficult even without the insulating foam package. The wiring & probes for the other two tanks are accessible...
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #9

I am going to talk to them tomorrow. It hit me this afternoon. I have a friend that owns a marine service company and he does everything under the sun to these boats, adding rooms, bathrooms, etc. He said the SeeLevel system is great and he has never had one brought back. I actually got a load of information from him, like he recommends 6v group 29 batteries, clueless on those other than noting they are not inexpensive, but he said he can get them for me at his cost, something about some mineral bacteria stuff for the tanks.

My head is still spinning.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Working on my build list
My thoughts have been going down that same path. I have found several external tank monitors. The iSeries, the SeeLevel, SensaTank II, and more.

The SeeLevel seems to be mentioned most frequently online both as reviews and on various RV forums. If you have existing tank monitors it can be installed and use the same wire so you don't have to fish one. I read that it is standard equipment on some high-end motorhomes. I'm leaning that way just because of the number of favorable mentions I've seen compared to the others.

They are more expensive but I am hoping if I can get it installed by ETI instead of doing it as a replacement later I can save the cost of the factory system. I know so many people who have spent so much time and money dealing with monitor problems and all sorts of strange methods to clean the sensors. I'm thinking in the long run it will save me a lot of hassle. I regard my time as valuable too especially between now and when I can retire. If I can't get my Escape with it I may do it myself. Here is a thread from another forum of a guy installing one. SeeLevel Tank Monitor installation in Tiffin motorhome - iRV2 Forums It looks well within my skill level.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

Great link and it has more information than the manufacturers site! Google is sometimes not my friend, I never heard of Seelevel until yesterday and the site I found was devoid of information.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We are headed up to Chilliwack on June 16 for a visit at the factory... I will try to see if the SeeLevel can be installed in our build, especially because we're ordering the under-foam. I'll report back.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Although I am happy with the factory tank monitors, it appears that the gray and fresh tanks have good locations for Seelevel sensors, at least on a 15. The black tank seems
inaccessible.

The Seelevel uses exposed circuit boards that are made for inside applications. Think about how you would protect or cover them in an Escape where two tanks are open to the road.

Also, it looks like the display is on constantly. Personally, I would install an on/off switch to keep the trailer from looking like a space capsule with all the leds for detectors, fridge, etc.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
The user manual says the display only lights up, and stays on for a few seconds, when you touch one of the buttons. You can hold a button for 5 seconds and then it will stay lit for 5 minutes (when you want to monitor while filling or emptying a tank).
Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #15

Excellent points.If the sensors are exposed they say they need to cover in tar or underlayment spray in case somebody talks to Rease first...
Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #16

Trailer: Working on my build list
There is a tech bulletin on the manufacturer's web site that recommends a coating of body undercoat or 3m rubberized undercoat if the sensors are exposed to road spray.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #17

FYI, I got a reply today, they will not install the SeeLevel systems.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just observing the numerous mod posts on this forum, I'd say, at some point Escape has to draw the line with custom builds and installs. Having to ensure that the item that a customer wants installed works as advertised and also learn install instructions and train staff can do little but slow down production.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I couldn't agree more gbaglo.
A lot of these after market mods are do-able for the end user. Youtube.com has tutorials on installing almost every mod I've ever heard of. A time WILL come when the customer will only be able to pick from an ETI list of options. That will speed up the production at the factory.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #20

I am surprised they allow as much as they do and it never hurts to ask. Unfortunately, it was a deal breaker for me because it was that or the under body insulation. But in the end everybody wins, they are compensated for me unfortunately wasting their time and I can get a Camplite sooner.

Great community here amongst the fiberglass crowd...