Holding Tank Routine - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed the flush on other trailers that had the black tank outside, but with the Escape tank being inside, the chance of a leak around the hole exists and then you may have a mess inside.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Rather than telling people how their mod is unnecessary and a dumb idea, I just don't post unless I feel I have something positive to add.
Perhaps people are telling you that that mod is unnecessary, not that it is dumb. If you use Odorloss tank treatment and if you don't empty the tank until it is full, you shouldn't need more than the occasional wand.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Looking at the posts I see no one actually being negative. Someone stating their experiences, questioning a need for some specific option/mod is a part of normal discussion. If someone said "wow what a stupid idea" I could see the point, but no one has said anything even close to that.... maybe some humor sometimes, but nothing deserving of this level of affront IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Did something get deleted? I too looked back and could see nothing saying anyone's modification was unnecessary or a dumb idea.

As usually, a few folks chimed in with what works for them, which is a great way of sharing ideas. I can't could how many times members input helped me change direction of where I first thought I would be going with an idea. This is one of the great things about this forum.

Case in point and on topic. I bought a Tornado rinse system 5 or 6 years back thinking it would be the right thing to do. After discussion here and FGRV I deemed it not necessary. I believe I still have it in my garage if anyone would like it. I had meant to bring it to the swap meet at a rally.
I agree, sometimes experienced folks see maybe newer folks agonizing over a decision. Simply saying that in my view, based on my experience, it isn't critical to have isn't negative. Other folks see the posts and sometimes I think that because one person starts saying they've got to have something then others think that it's necessary. It's just feedback and maybe a little boost for having an opening bathroom window.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now, I can add something that some may have very opposite thinking on and actually call it a dumb idea. After 5 years of having a septic tank at our cabin and learning a bit about all this waste disposal, I’ve changed how I dump sometimes. If we have a short trip and don’t use a lot of the tank capacity I won’t dump immediately on return. I let the organisms have some time to break the wate down completely and then dump later. I’ve found the tank dumps easier and more thoroughly requiring less need for maintenance. Haven’t had any issues with odors to date when I do it this way. Anyone else do this?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #85

I've held it after a short trip, rather than pay $20 for using the only sani-dump that is near my house. When I use that dump, that's when I use the wand and take as long as I need to do the job.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Now, I can add something that some may have very opposite thinking on and actually call it a dumb idea. After 5 years of having a septic tank at our cabin and learning a bit about all this waste disposal, I’ve changed how I dump sometimes. If we have a short trip and don’t use a lot of the tank capacity I won’t dump immediately on return. I let the organisms have some time to break the wate down completely and then dump later. I’ve found the tank dumps easier and more thoroughly requiring less need for maintenance. Haven’t had any issues with odors to date when I do it this way. Anyone else do this?
I usually dump after using the trailer, no matter how full the tanks are, if possible. There are lots of times though where we did not dump, had the tanks sit for a while, then late dump, and have had no issue doing that. Either way seems to work fine. You are right that all waste doesn't break down when dumping right away, but I have found no issues either way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
This is an older thread where last year I asked if anyone had installed a black tank sprayer. I was surprised that there were no answers, since quite a number of black tank sprayers have been installed in Casitas.
Had to go back to the first post of the renewed thread. Apparently, last time it was asked, you got no response. This time, you got responses and you're not happy with them.

"Various mods are important to different people. Rather than telling people how their mod is unnecessary and a dumb idea, I just don't post unless I feel I have something positive to add". - richardr
Old 10-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think a lot of what one reads on the web about holding tanks, is written from the point of view of big rigs, very large tanks and often being connected directly to septics and even full timers.

Those kind of setups face an entirely different set of concerns than the small tanks that are usually frequently emptied in our little Escapes do.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have the tank sit for about 5 weeks before dumping (the last campground has no dump station and the black tank was barely filled anyway) and it seems to dump okay.. I assumed if there's no freezing risk, and no odor issue, the tank can just sit indefinitely?
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
We have the tank sit for about 5 weeks before dumping (the last campground has no dump station and the black tank was barely filled anyway) and it seems to dump okay.. I assumed if there's no freezing risk, and no odor issue, the tank can just sit indefinitely?
Most likely the longer it sits, the more whatever smell/decomposition product you use will have time to break down all the solids.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!

Several good videos on this site and lots of information about tank problems and how to prevent them.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #92

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
unless I feel I have something positive to add".
No wonder your tank stays clean
Old 10-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
I added attribution (-richardr ) to make the post more clear.
But, I think I get it.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Hi: Marry... My "Holding tank routine" usually leaves me with something more than a smile on my face. Last time one of the claws on the stinky slinky cracked and I pulled the gate valve all the way out to make a complete flush!!! I made it... happen all over the concrete pad and my white running shoes. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #95

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is a "dump"? Is that where you get your propane tanks filled?..............
Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #96

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've held it after a short trip, rather than pay $20 for using the only sani-dump that is near my house. When I use that dump, that's when I use the wand and take as long as I need to do the job.

If you can get close to your house or have a clean out for a septic system that is accessible a rv macerator pump can be handy.
We picked up one that someone no longer needed and it is nice.
Hook it up, attach a hose that goes into the clean out that is about 45 feet away and soon after it is empty. When it's done I drop the pump into a 5 gallon bucket and coil the hose around it and stick it back in the garage for next time.

We use it for a local state park that does have a dump station but is usually either nasty or has a long line so we empty at home.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #97

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dump sites

At several of our rest areas / welcome centers along Iowa interstates there are free public trailer dump stations. They are not usually busy and are well designed. However, at
Some of our state parks which are crying for public support and traveling users, there are signs at the dump Stations that if you’re not a registered camper you will be fined 116 dollars and change for Using that facility. Politics aside, the management of our state parks ought to have the handle pulled and deposited in the tank with the rest of the sewage. “Welcome to Iowa, we will Prosecute you if we get a chance” I could fix this in about 20 minutes but I’m too busy camping all but three nights this past season season out of state.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #98

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
maybe a stupid question but when winterizing after normally dumping your tanks do i need to worry about freezing in the black /grey tank? - small amount of residual water left after dumping? I'm thinking no because the space is so large (as long as i take care of the pipes plumbing traps etc...)
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #99

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Looking at the posts I see no one actually being negative. Someone stating their experiences, questioning a need for some specific option/mod is a part of normal discussion. If someone said "wow what a stupid idea" I could see the point, but no one has said anything even close to that.... maybe some humor sometimes, but nothing deserving of this level of affront IMHO.
...and did we miss the link I provided where someone actually installed one?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
maybe a stupid question but when winterizing after normally dumping your tanks do i need to worry about freezing in the black /grey tank? - small amount of residual water left after dumping? I'm thinking no because the space is so large (as long as i take care of the pipes plumbing traps etc...)
Not stupid at all - and you pretty much answered your own question. Take care of all the drinking water pipes, etc and just make sure the black and grey pipes are empty. Anything left in the tanks themselves will have plenty of expansion space. I leave the grey and black tank valves open to help them dry out over winter.