Holding Tank Routine - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Not stupid at all - and you pretty much answered your own question. Take care of all the drinking water pipes, etc and just make sure the black and grey pipes are empty. Anything left in the tanks themselves will have plenty of expansion space. I leave the grey and black tank valves open to help them dry out over winter.
How do you keep critters out with your valves open?
Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #102

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of leaving valves open, I opened my low-point drain a few days ago, along with the fresh water drain.
Today I pumped 2/3 of a gallon of antifreeze in through the city water and out through the low-point drain, which I'd forgotten to close. Not sure where all it went before exiting the plumbing, so I started over.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #103

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

I was told to dump and close the valves to keep the drain flies out of my tanks. They do actually exist by the way. We knew someone who had them. They kept seeing small flies coming out of the toilet when they flushed and the person they took it to dumped some insecticide in both tanks.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #104

On the black and grey traps, I was wondering if it isn't better that they be wet ( from antifreeze ) than the seals be allowed to dry out.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #105

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I coat mine with Vaseline, I've also heard of folks pouring vegetable oil into the tanks. Or you can buy premade solutions for the purpose.

I used to coat the toilet seal too, but haven't done so since I got the Escape.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #106

I note the Odorloss tank treatment says it lubricates valves, but I couldn't find a similar claim for the anti-freeze I bought.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

Too cold for them up in here the North! Drain flies?? We have lots of critters up here, but haven't heard that they are around -- yet!

It's stored in my concrete slab metal sided shed and so far the mice have munched on the delicious mouse bait I have generously left for them and not caused any problems. I generally spray some silicone lube on the seals and open and close them a few times over the winter. Somewhere I read that the ethanol that comes in most antifreeze anymore is bad for seals,

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you really want to keep the caps off your tanks and let them dry out, Little House Customs builds a valve cap with a "garden hose" adapter and screen. No critters or flies.... leave the cap on and let the air flow!
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
I have installed the flush on other trailers that had the black tank outside, but with the Escape tank being inside, the chance of a leak around the hole exists and then you may have a mess inside.
My thoughts exactly!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I have installed the flush on other trailers that had the black tank outside, but with the Escape tank being inside, the chance of a leak around the hole exists and then you may have a mess inside.
Properly installed, there is no reason for concern, just like any other fittings connected to it. As well, it is usually mounted up high from what I remember, and not below the liquid level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I leave the grey and black tank valves open to help them dry out over winter.
I might have missed it breezing through the posts here, but what is the reason for this? I know with home drain lines that sit for a while without use, they tend to clog up easier. And do the tanks actually dry out completely anyway, as there is no flow of air though, unless of course you keep the flush valve open.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I might have missed it breezing through the posts here, but what is the reason for this? I know with home drain lines that sit for a while without use, they tend to clog up easier. And do the tanks actually dry out completely anyway, as there is no flow of air though, unless of course you keep the flush valve open.
I can't speak to the grey as I cannot see anything, but yes the black tank does seem to dry out. Even though there isn't significant air flow thru the tank, the dry winter air should still be exchanged with the moist air inside.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #112

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To install these fixtures a hole is drilled in the tank side very carefully and the hole has to be captured to keep from entering the tank. A fitting is inserted with a sealing washer all of which is hard to accomplish thru the fiberglass hull or working under the bed. A lot easier for access on other trailer models but not the Escape 21. Any leaks would be around the new hole while flushing, not from the contents inside the tank.