Holding Tank Routine - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Years ago there was a columnist at the Vancouver Sun who wrote a piece about making your own cleaning solutions.
Not sure where she got her information, but she came up with a bathtub cleaning solution which was concocted of ammonia and bleach ( as best I recall ), creating a poison gas.

So careful with your creations. And maybe somebody can do a detailed cost/benefit analysis of the Geo method. I tried it once, but Calgon wasn't cheap and the box was bulky and heavy. Not at all convenient.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #42

Just thinking, maybe the title for this thread on recipes should be Holding Tank Poutine.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glenn
I worked in a meat packing plant for several years. One night the night cleanup crew drew the conclusion that an ammonia and bleach concoction would work well on a large conveyor belt. They mixed it up and spread it liberally and about 6 of them promptly hit the floor. A forklift driver happened into the room at that time and was able to get them out. Close call for sure. I'm not much of a chemical mixer. A good friend was a high school chemistry teacher when a student's mismixed chemicals exploded and blinded my friend for life. I hear you when you encourage caution.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Years ago there was a columnist at the Vancouver Sun who wrote a piece about making your own cleaning solutions.
Not sure where she got her information, but she came up with a bathtub cleaning solution which was concocted of ammonia and bleach ( as best I recall ), creating a poison gas.

So careful with your creations. And maybe somebody can do a detailed cost/benefit analysis of the Geo method. I tried it once, but Calgon wasn't cheap and the box was bulky and heavy. Not at all convenient.
Hi: gbaglo... All ingredients for the "Geo" method are home use/laundry safe. Originally concocted of laundry detergent, bleach, calgon and water. Calgon keeps the tanks walls etc. slippery. The dishwasher detergent just combines detergent and bleach.
I'm not that fussy about concocted mixes myself...you can get bad ice!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Alf
I'm pretty much a straight up man. I usually don't use or trust ice. I do like a nice beer chaser after a good shot of American Bourbon or Canadian whiskey. And Thursday afternoon I will give thanks for the great distillers and brewers of the world by sampling their wares.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I guess it won't leave spots on the dishes.

Definitely give it a try as soon as my tub of packets run out. Like that is readily available. I could never find the Calgon in store around here for the Geo.
As usual, Amazon is your friend! (That is where I get it.)
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: gbaglo... All ingredients for the "Geo" method are home use/laundry safe.
That's it. Ammonia and bleach are both home use/laundry safe, but when combined produce a deadly gas. Obviously there are a lot of people who have used the 'Geo' method and are still alive..
Old 11-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I tried the Geo method once, but at the prices I paid for powdered Calgon, it was cheaper to buy the commercial products.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Escape21 black tank sprayer or spray wand questions

Has anyone installed a black tank sprayer in an Escape 21? If so I am very interested in how and where you installed it.

Also, if using a black tank spray wand, how do you run the hose for the wand with the bathroom being on the side away from the dump station?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
http://www.tanktechs.com

Read the site and watch the tube videos. You can order it from Amazon with free shipping. (for Prime members)
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Has anyone installed a black tank sprayer in an Escape 21? If so I am very interested in how and where you installed it.

Also, if using a black tank spray wand, how do you run the hose for the wand with the bathroom being on the side away from the dump station?
Actually, the black tank stretches all the way across the front and is close to the side hatch opening which is on the dump side. But either way, most dumps do not have a water hose hook up, you clean the tank before arriving at the dump.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But either way, most dumps do not have a water hose hook up, you clean the tank before arriving at the dump.
This must be regional as I've never used a dump station that didn't have a water hose hookup. Sometimes I needed to use my own gray water hose, but there's always been a hose bib to put non-potable water in the tank for cleaning.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The dump water available I have been exposed to is via an overhead flexible hose with a rubber attachment to clean off your sewer line, but with people behind you in line, hooking up a separate water hose and flushing your tanks just does not happen, thus no water.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #54

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I carry an extra hose for draining grey water in an emergency, and install my spray wand and bring it thru the door. You can only do this if there is nobody behind you in line. I also always do it when I get home. I add a bag of deodorizer and then 5 quarts of water. My tank looks like it was brand new.
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
If you have not tried it this is some good stuff. I add it after several gallons of water have been added to the tank.

Unique RV Digest It - Unique Distributing
Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Wow, what a relief. At first glance, I thought this thread was about Holding Tank POUTINE! I know some don't care for it but it's not really bad, folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Culture-Poutine-Stephanie-Xu.jpg  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
For those of you using a tank flush system....might watch this video on testing those and how well they work. I was interested because being a newbie I wanted to find out if they were worth it or not.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
For those of you using a tank flush system....might watch this video on testing those and how well they work. I was interested because being a newbie I wanted to find out if they were worth it or not.
Have seen those videos many times. The tornado type sprayer that mounts to the inside of the tank works best by far. If you don't have one installed, or in my case, you don't want to, then a tank wand works just fine. Those clear attachments that go on the sewer outlet and connect to a garden hose are pretty much worthless in actually cleaning the tank. They do clean the drain pipe.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #59

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post

Rewatched the video's . If you want the easiest and simplest way to clean your tanks , the wand is it . We are able to put right down the toilet through are bath window . We have a short clear connection on outside . We dump the valve from toilet then ,close that valve , then dump the gray tank as you should .After the gray is dumped , close that valve . Go back to black tank using your wand in toilet , fill the tank , closing your valve . There is someone inside and there is a shut off on the wand , so no worries . Dump black tank and we usually fill black tank again. Because you fill the tank it cleans the sensors and the tank a lot cleaner . We also use Orderless in the tank . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
I carry an extra hose for draining grey water in an emergency, and install my spray wand and bring it thru the door. You can only do this if there is nobody behind you in line. I also always do it when I get home. I add a bag of deodorizer and then 5 quarts of water. My tank looks like it was brand new.
The way you clean out your black tank is how I'm expecting to clean out mine, by running the hose under the trailer, through the main and bathroom doors. I was hoping to use the bathroom window, but my expectation is that the screen for the frame-less bathroom window does not open.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote