Honda EU2200i Battery Charging - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19 ft
Honda EU2200i Battery Charging

Can anyone tell me approx how long it would take a Honda 2200 generator to charge up the 6 volt batteries supplied by ETI, if they are say 50% discharged?
Casa Loba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Loba View Post
Can anyone tell me approx how long it would take a Honda 2200 generator to charge up the 6 volt batteries supplied by ETI, if they are say 50% discharged?
Using what charger?

These Honda generators (but not the Companion versions) have a 12 V DC charging outlet. It has very low output and poor control, and should not be used.

The better way to charge with a generator is to just plug the trailer into the generator's 120 V AC outlet, and let the trailer's built-in converter/charger do its job. Recent Escapes have a WFCO 8955 Power Center, which includes a converter/charger capable of delivering up to 55 amps of current to the 12-volt system. If nothing else is running on 12 volts (lights, fans, refrigerator...) then to put in the required 115 or so amp-hours will take at least two hours. In reality it will take longer because you won't get the whole 55 amps (if you did a fuse or circuit breaker would trip), so perhaps three hours based on constant charging current. It will even be somewhat longer than that because the charging will slow down in the end (and because charging is not perfectly efficient).

This only requires about one-third or less of this particular generator's maximum output. The generator is not the limiting factor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I assume you intend to use the built in WFCO Converter/Charger in the trailer, and not an external battery charger connected to the generator. If that's the case, the eu2200i will be able to supply enough power to run the charger properly - and it's the preferred method as well. So, in this case, the power source is irrelevant - the WFCO charger is still charging the batteries.

So now the question is, how long does it take to charge Interstate 6V Deep Cycle batteries that are 50% discharged using the WFCO 3-stage charger built in to the trailer? WFCO says the 8955 can charge a "fully discharged battery" in under 3 hours at 13.6 Volts. But, there are alot of variables.

Also note that 50% discharge is often referred to as the maximum amount of discharge you want to allow for flooded deep cycle batteries, because repeated discharges below this level will shorten the battery life.

EDIT: Saw Brian's post right after I posted mine...
Old 08-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

Thanks guys, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I'm going to install a solar system, but with cloudy weather and shade trees being common up here, and many rv parks having restricted generator hours, was wondering how long I might be disturbing my neighbors if we're boon-docking.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #5

Robert brings up an additional (and not generally recommended) possibility, which is to use the generator to power a separate charger. A larger charger could charge the batteries at a higher rate than the built-in WFCO, but higher charging rates are harder on the batteries (and although the generator would be running for a shorter period, it would also be louder). I agree that using the trailer's built-in charger/converter is generally a better idea (and much simpler).
Old 08-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would suggested you do not try to completely charge your batteries via a generator, shoot for something like 90%. As the batteries get closer to full the rate of charge drops down so it's a case of diminishing returns.

I've let my batteries go down to 60% on purpose, the converter/charger took overnight to charge them back to 100%.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Thanks guys, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I'm going to install a solar system, but with cloudy weather and shade trees being common up here, and many rv parks having restricted generator hours, was wondering how long I might be disturbing my neighbors if we're boon-docking.
Casa Loba, You will be pleasantly surprised how well your solar keeps your batteries charged, even in cloudy, filtered shady conditions

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I would suggested you do not try to completely charge your batteries via a generator, shoot for something like 90%. As the batteries get closer to full the rate of charge drops down so it's a case of diminishing returns.

I've let my batteries go down to 60% on purpose, the converter/charger took overnight to charge them back to 100%.

I agree with Bob (Padlin). We have 2 Interstate 6 volts that will power us for 3 days (from 100%) with fairly heavy use of the furnace before dropping to about 50%. So we hook up our generator every couple of days then. When we are camping in milder weather (well above freezing) we run the generator maybe every 4th day. But we never try to get back to 100 % unless on shore power. We run the generator for 2-3 hours. Never more.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
We run the generator for 2-3 hours. Never more. Bob K
....Quoth the Raven.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #10

So based on your comments, looks like we'll be running the generator only occasionally for a couple of hours. If I go with two 160W solar panels and spend the winters in Baja as planned, I may never have to fire up the Honda
Gord
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
So based on your comments, looks like we'll be running the generator only occasionally for a couple of hours. If I go with two 160W solar panels and spend the winters in Baja as planned, I may never have to fire up the Honda
Gord
Well, not unless you need some air conditioning. Baja can get toasty.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

Good point on the A/C. Also thinking of converting the 2000i to a propane kit, anyone have any recommendations on that, manufacturer etc?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Good point on the A/C. Also thinking of converting the 2000i to a propane kit, anyone have any recommendations on that, manufacturer etc?
I like the one from Hutch Mountain, because it doesn't result in a regulator hanging off the case, and all the panels still fit.

https://hutchmountain.com
Old 08-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Casa Loba, You will be pleasantly surprised how well your solar keeps your batteries charged, even in cloudy, filtered shady conditions
I have been impressed with this too. I do have 240W, not the 170W Escape installs, and rarely have I gone past noon in cloudy conditions to top up my batteries. My poor 80W portable is feeling unloved.

And remember, should you have an excessively cloudy day, or even two, unless you are using an inverter for AC appliances, the batteries will not be drawn down that badly. Before using solar I could go 3 nights of temperatures around freezing with enough power in reserve.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'm glad I stumbled on this particular thread.
We haven't been out long enough yet with our 19 with solar to warrant using another source for charging, but I've wondered how much zap would be required to run the onboard charger.
I haven't found specs.
The reason I would like some specs is because I am in possession of an old Honda EX650 generator, which might be a wee bit lacking in output for this. But without some specs I just don't know.
The mighty EX is good for a whopping 4.6A at 120V. Rated for continuous 550W, with a max output of 650W.
Could I be so lucky?
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfielder View Post
We haven't been out long enough yet with our 19 with solar to warrant using another source for charging, but I've wondered how much zap would be required to run the onboard charger.
I haven't found specs.
The reason I would like some specs is because I am in possession of an old Honda EX650 generator, which might be a wee bit lacking in output for this. But without some specs I just don't know.
The mighty EX is good for a whopping 4.6A at 120V. Rated for continuous 550W, with a max output of 650W.
The onboard charger is the WFCO 8955. That's a 55 amp charger, so the output power could at the most extreme be 55 amps multiplied by 14.4 volts or 792 watts. It is not perfectly efficient, of course, and the specs in the brochure from WFCO's website say that it could use as much as 950 watts... far too much for the EX650. In normal conditions it would not need that much power. I suppose my questions would be:
  • Will the charger ever actually need more than 650 watts?
  • If the generator's output is inadequate, what happens? Does it just drop in voltage, and what does the charger with that?