Hoses, Electrical Cords - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hoses, Electrical Cords

Getting ready for our longest trip yet to UT. In an attempt to to keep from taking more then we need I removed the 50' hose leaving just a 25'er, also taking just the removable power cord ETI supplied.

Question, what length do you travel with, or even better, what length have you actually needed?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Mostly use a 25 foot water hose - I carry a 10' also that I have used occasionally and in case I need something longer than 25'.
I do have an extra power cord but have only used that once-
Have a good trip!
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Those things are permanently packed in Ten Forward. The only way to be absolutely certain of what you will need is if you camp in the exact same spot you've camped at before. What are you going to do if one of smaller items comes up just inches short?

If you're trying to save weight ask yourself how many lawn chairs do you really need? Menu plan... do you really need three sauce pans (and lids). Don't pack more food than you're going to eat. Etc., etc., etc.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
A couple weeks ago we meet up with some friends at a campground we had never been to in southern Tennessee near the Alabama line. I have been carrying a 50' water hose and 25' electrical extension for years and never used it. The campground connections were out near the road and not the rear of the site. I finally got to unwrap the cord and cable and use it. I was glad I had it after carrying it for about six years. Maybe it will be aother six years I will use it again but at least I will have it when needed.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Getting ready for our longest trip yet to UT. In an attempt to to keep from taking more then we need I removed the 50' hose leaving just a 25'er, also taking just the removable power cord ETI supplied.

Question, what length do you travel with, or even better, what length have you actually needed?
Hi: padlin... 50' hose and extra 25' 30 amp power cord. Needed the full length of power cords last weekend and we had one of the closest current bushes in the park. Alf pic taken by my wife's ipad!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150831_175220.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I generally carry one 25 foot water hose and an 25 foot electrical extension, 30 amp. If water and power are not at the same point, I park close enough to the water to connect and use the electrical extension. I find the power cords easier to coil neatly than hoses. If necessary, I would fill the water tank and move closer to electric. Never had a problem with this arrangement.
Enjoy Utah!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
At least some of the Michigan State Parks and Ontario Prov Parks, share power posts between campsites and I have needed every inch of my built in plus a 25' to reach. At one in Ontario we needed my built in plus 2 -25' cords. Unless we are going somewhere I know or where we will not have any hookups (most common for us) I take both 30A extension cords along now.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I carry a 10' & 25' water hose that I switch between depending on distance. I also have another 25' buried in the bottom of the front storage box that I've only had to dig out once.

As to electric, I don't carry a 30 amp extension, but have always carried a 25' & 50' #12 cord in my tow vehicle that I've had to use a couple of times. As long as I don't go overboard on power usage, they let me run high wattage appliances one at a time. While rare, I've found parks that place a shared power pedestal located between distant sites, sometimes requiring 50' or more of cord. Seems to happen more often in Provincial parks in Canada, but I've run into a few here in the US as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
At least some of the Michigan State Parks and Ontario Prov Parks, share power posts between campsites and I have needed every inch of my built in plus a 25' to reach. At one in Ontario we needed my built in plus 2 -25' cords. Unless we are going somewhere I know or where we will not have any hookups (most common for us) I take both 30A extension cords along now.
Hi: thoer... Ontario's Provincial Park's only supply one power pole for every two campsites. Most of them, at least in Inverhuron pk. are along the roadway. The park makes free 15 amp. 100' extension cords avail. for loan to campers in need. They also publish the distance to the current bush. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Alf - they did have one of those. I wondered about voltage drop on a cord that thin over a distance like that. I did't have any way to calculate it back then before smart phones and Google! The distance publishing is a good idea - they didn't have that back then as I recall.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As Jon does, I carry an extension cord with an adapter plug. It's sort of a compromise. Avoids carrying a heavy second cord but can still supply a usable amount of power. For the water, I have one hose. If it's too short I just fill a water jug and add it to the tank.

Basically I've found very few situations where I needed more than one of each.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I purchased a 10 ft hose to supplement my 25 footer. It allows us to balance the water filter on the bumper up off the ground and not have the weight of the filter hanging off the camper fitting, I usually hang the filter off of the pressure regulator but once in a while the standpipe for the campground hose bib is low to the ground.
I also have a 12 ga wire drop cord, which, with the adapter, allows enough power for most situations so far. We also carry the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter as well as the 20 amp to 30 Amp unit. If there's power, I'm able to get some if I need it. As Jon V remarked once, sometimes the 30 amp outlet is a little worn out from use but the 50 is in nice shape, that's when it's nice to have an adapter too. We are continually trading out heavier stuff for lighter items that will do the job.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote