Hot Water Heater Anode Question... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Why could you not winterize via the low point drain as before, but install one of these bypass valves in the water line that feeds the toilet.
Or, if the issue is the valve not draining back, a quick blast with air pressure should clear it.

I have tested the water lines in my Escape after using the low point drain, by blowing the lines out after. All I got was a little bit of a spit, nothing at all that would cause damage. I think they pay good attention to how the lines are placed, ensuring they slope back.

I am more than comfortable using the low point drain, and others do have to do what makes them feel comfortable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Using the water pump in the trailer requires 4-6 gallons of anti-freeze according to that document ( goes in the fresh water tank ).
I use a hand pump that attaches to the city water. Tube from the pump goes into a jug of anti-freeze. I use about a gallon and a half, including filling the traps.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is about right...
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #44

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or, if the issue is the valve not draining back, a quick blast with air pressure should clear it.
When you say the issue is "the valve not draining back' do you mean that the front of the trailer is not up high enough to run all the water down to the low point drain?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
When you say the issue is "the valve not draining back' do you mean that the front of the trailer is not up high enough to run all the water down to the low point drain?
No.. Potable wate supplies are very susceptible to contamination via back flow.. The exterior trailer trailer connection to the city water supply incorporates a back flow preventer to protect the municipal water supply your connected to.. Jim was speculating that the toilet manufacturer may now have also incorporated that feature. They would do that to protect the trailer freshwater system from back flow contamination from that valve. That would in turn prevent that flow back though the pipes to the low point drain. That's a good thing

The compressed air feed in the forward direction from the city water fill should clear any water in that valve into the toilet..
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #46

Thanks for the clarification!
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
V V V Yep, what Robert said. V V V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
No.. Potable wate supplies are very susceptible to contamination via back flow.. The exterior trailer trailer connection to the city water supply incorporates a back flow preventer to protect the municipal water supply your connected to.. Jim was speculating that the toilet manufacturer may now have also incorporated that feature. They would do that to protect the trailer freshwater system from back flow contamination from that valve. That would in turn prevent that flow back though the pipes to the low point drain. That's a good thing

The compressed air feed in the forward direction from the city water fill should clear any water in that valve into the toilet..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #48

Thetford Toilet Vacuum Breaker Defect from 2009

In researching the backflow prevention feature that was added to Thetford toilets and seems to be the reason why Tammy & Reace have modified the winterizing procedure I ran across this 2010 series of posts on rv.net. I was actually looking for discussions on how to make sure there was no water left in that valve and found this thread.
Apparently there had been a series of defective valves starting sometime in 2009 which Thetford was replacing for folks. Here is the link to their thread in case anyone is interested:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24038748/print/true.cfm
Here is one of the posts which includes the phone number for Thetford and how to get the serial number, etc
“Spoke to Thetford today and was very impressed. For anyone with this issue, please note that you don't need to pull the unit or crane your neck to get the SN and MOD info off the label. I peels right off. I temporarily stuck it on plastic to be able to put it back later.

Thetford has an 800 number right on the label sticker(1-800-521-3032). It took about 2 min. on hold to get to a very helpful representative, who took the TT information (make/model/vin#) and the model and serial number on the toilet. After a couple seconds clicking keys, he then told me what my problem probably was and was exactly correct, water shooting out of the top of the valve and also make sure of his assumption that since I was calling myself I would have no problem installing it myself and gave me a confirmation number and said a replacement will be on its way. Very pleasant to deal with.”
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
In researching the backflow prevention feature that was added to Thetford toilets and seems to be the reason why Tammy & Reace have modified the winterizing procedure I ran across this 2010 series of posts on rv.net. I was actually looking for discussions on how to make sure there was no water left in that valve and found this thread.
Apparently there had been a series of defective valves starting sometime in 2009 which Thetford was replacing for folks. Here is the link to their thread in case anyone is interested:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24038748/print/true.cfm
Here is one of the posts which includes the phone number for Thetford and how to get the serial number, etc
“Spoke to Thetford today and was very impressed. For anyone with this issue, please note that you don't need to pull the unit or crane your neck to get the SN and MOD info off the label. I peels right off. I temporarily stuck it on plastic to be able to put it back later.

Thetford has an 800 number right on the label sticker(1-800-521-3032). It took about 2 min. on hold to get to a very helpful representative, who took the TT information (make/model/vin#) and the model and serial number on the toilet. After a couple seconds clicking keys, he then told me what my problem probably was and was exactly correct, water shooting out of the top of the valve and also make sure of his assumption that since I was calling myself I would have no problem installing it myself and gave me a confirmation number and said a replacement will be on its way. Very pleasant to deal with.”
Would be interesting knowing the serial number of the first toilets escape installed containing the vacuum breaker mod to the flush water supply valve. Any earlier units should be safe (from freezing damage :-) using the low water drain method. The rest of us could brave the compressed air or versions of the antifreeze solution to get us through the cooler seasons.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #50

I bought a compressor to use that method, but I found dragging it out to the trailer, hooking it up, and maintaining it after ( draining ) was a pain. I had already used the low point drain and only got a few spritz of water out of the taps.
So, I went to the antifreeze and hand pump through the city water inlet. Only takes a few strokes for pink to flow.
This year, being retired, I might do it all.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #51
ksb

Trailer: _
re the defective valves ~2009....I called Thetford today, the rep stated there are no defective valves (?)
ksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb View Post
re the defective valves ~2009....I called Thetford today, the rep stated there are no defective valves (?)
Here is the post I found on rv.net...that is my only source of information on this:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Thetford toiled valve leak
Posted By: RandK-M on 06/01/10 02:31pm

Discovered a leak on the toilet water valve over the weekend while camping. I have a new Jayco 17Z and there was an intermittent leak on the Thetford Aqua magic V toilet. I called Thetford to verify the part number since it would be easier and cost less in gas to replace the valve myself, rather than taking it to the dealer under warranty.

Thetford said they had a batch of bad valves and they would send me a new one at no charge. Apparently, the Aqua Magic V and several other newer models use this valve and it has a built in vacuum breaker. Some of them develop leaks out of the vacuum breaker, but they have since corrected the manufacturing problem.

I just thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has an issue. The valve part number in question is 31705. They actually call it a water module assembly.

Ray
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #53

Drained the water heater tank today.
This is my anode after five years ( original to the trailer ). Got a ways to go yet. I think it's the soft water and that we only use the heater for maybe an hour a day ( if that ) when camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode at 5 years.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Regarding the winterizing methods that bypass the stock water pump, I recently had to pull my pump because it crapped out. I found that, even though I had drained the system via the low point drain, the pump had about 1/2 cup of water sitting in it. I wonder if this might be a concern for the pump once it freezes solid? I even wonder if that's why my pump failed, from damage done last winter. I'll never know, but I can see the case for including the pump in the winterizing process. Fortunately, mine is still under warranty and it looks like the company (Arterra) is going to make good.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #55

Instructions for winterizing include running the pump for 10 seconds after you've emptied the fresh water tank and drained and bypassed the water heater.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Ah yes, now I remember that!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Okay, so being the good little girl I am, I followed Tammy's revised instructions as posted here to the letter - after doing my usual low point drain thing:-) I drained the hot water tank, opened all the faucets and toilet valve, ran the pump for 30 seconds, then did the compressed air thing. And....... not a drop ran out. Nada. I love the low point drain :-)
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Okay, so being the good little girl I am, I followed Tammy's revised instructions as posted here to the letter - after doing my usual low point drain thing:-) I drained the hot water tank, opened all the faucets and toilet valve, ran the pump for 30 seconds, then did the compressed air thing. And....... not a drop ran out. Nada. I love the low point drain :-)
Christine
Christine,
Did you just do the low point drain on your (our) 2008 5.0 also?
Earlier this week, in anticipation of a freeze here in NM, we drained all the tanks and the hot water heater and opened the low point drain and ran the pump till nothing else came out and then put antifreeze down the drains.
Fran & Dave
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #59

Make sure you open taps if you use the low-point drain method.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Yes, you have to open the taps and toilet valve (and outside shower) or nothing comes out the low point drain. Fran, we only did the low point drain on the 2008 and followed the procedure you did with anti freeze.
We had sub zero temps with no effect.
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote