Hot Water Heater Anode Question... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Why could you not winterize via the low point drain as before, but install one of these bypass valves in the water line that feeds the toilet.
Or, if the issue is the valve not draining back, a quick blast with air pressure should clear it.

I have tested the water lines in my Escape after using the low point drain, by blowing the lines out after. All I got was a little bit of a spit, nothing at all that would cause damage. I think they pay good attention to how the lines are placed, ensuring they slope back.

I am more than comfortable using the low point drain, and others do have to do what makes them feel comfortable.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Using the water pump in the trailer requires 4-6 gallons of anti-freeze according to that document ( goes in the fresh water tank ).
I use a hand pump that attaches to the city water. Tube from the pump goes into a jug of anti-freeze. I use about a gallon and a half, including filling the traps.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
That is about right...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or, if the issue is the valve not draining back, a quick blast with air pressure should clear it.
When you say the issue is "the valve not draining back' do you mean that the front of the trailer is not up high enough to run all the water down to the low point drain?
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
When you say the issue is "the valve not draining back' do you mean that the front of the trailer is not up high enough to run all the water down to the low point drain?
No.. Potable wate supplies are very susceptible to contamination via back flow.. The exterior trailer trailer connection to the city water supply incorporates a back flow preventer to protect the municipal water supply your connected to.. Jim was speculating that the toilet manufacturer may now have also incorporated that feature. They would do that to protect the trailer freshwater system from back flow contamination from that valve. That would in turn prevent that flow back though the pipes to the low point drain. That's a good thing

The compressed air feed in the forward direction from the city water fill should clear any water in that valve into the toilet..
Old 10-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #46

Thanks for the clarification!
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
V V V Yep, what Robert said. V V V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
No.. Potable wate supplies are very susceptible to contamination via back flow.. The exterior trailer trailer connection to the city water supply incorporates a back flow preventer to protect the municipal water supply your connected to.. Jim was speculating that the toilet manufacturer may now have also incorporated that feature. They would do that to protect the trailer freshwater system from back flow contamination from that valve. That would in turn prevent that flow back though the pipes to the low point drain. That's a good thing

The compressed air feed in the forward direction from the city water fill should clear any water in that valve into the toilet..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #48

Thetford Toilet Vacuum Breaker Defect from 2009

In researching the backflow prevention feature that was added to Thetford toilets and seems to be the reason why Tammy & Reace have modified the winterizing procedure I ran across this 2010 series of posts on rv.net. I was actually looking for discussions on how to make sure there was no water left in that valve and found this thread.
Apparently there had been a series of defective valves starting sometime in 2009 which Thetford was replacing for folks. Here is the link to their thread in case anyone is interested:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24038748/print/true.cfm
Here is one of the posts which includes the phone number for Thetford and how to get the serial number, etc
“Spoke to Thetford today and was very impressed. For anyone with this issue, please note that you don't need to pull the unit or crane your neck to get the SN and MOD info off the label. I peels right off. I temporarily stuck it on plastic to be able to put it back later.

Thetford has an 800 number right on the label sticker(1-800-521-3032). It took about 2 min. on hold to get to a very helpful representative, who took the TT information (make/model/vin#) and the model and serial number on the toilet. After a couple seconds clicking keys, he then told me what my problem probably was and was exactly correct, water shooting out of the top of the valve and also make sure of his assumption that since I was calling myself I would have no problem installing it myself and gave me a confirmation number and said a replacement will be on its way. Very pleasant to deal with.”
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
In researching the backflow prevention feature that was added to Thetford toilets and seems to be the reason why Tammy & Reace have modified the winterizing procedure I ran across this 2010 series of posts on rv.net. I was actually looking for discussions on how to make sure there was no water left in that valve and found this thread.
Apparently there had been a series of defective valves starting sometime in 2009 which Thetford was replacing for folks. Here is the link to their thread in case anyone is interested:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24038748/print/true.cfm
Here is one of the posts which includes the phone number for Thetford and how to get the serial number, etc
“Spoke to Thetford today and was very impressed. For anyone with this issue, please note that you don't need to pull the unit or crane your neck to get the SN and MOD info off the label. I peels right off. I temporarily stuck it on plastic to be able to put it back later.

Thetford has an 800 number right on the label sticker(1-800-521-3032). It took about 2 min. on hold to get to a very helpful representative, who took the TT information (make/model/vin#) and the model and serial number on the toilet. After a couple seconds clicking keys, he then told me what my problem probably was and was exactly correct, water shooting out of the top of the valve and also make sure of his assumption that since I was calling myself I would have no problem installing it myself and gave me a confirmation number and said a replacement will be on its way. Very pleasant to deal with.”
Would be interesting knowing the serial number of the first toilets escape installed containing the vacuum breaker mod to the flush water supply valve. Any earlier units should be safe (from freezing damage :-) using the low water drain method. The rest of us could brave the compressed air or versions of the antifreeze solution to get us through the cooler seasons.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I bought a compressor to use that method, but I found dragging it out to the trailer, hooking it up, and maintaining it after ( draining ) was a pain. I had already used the low point drain and only got a few spritz of water out of the taps.
So, I went to the antifreeze and hand pump through the city water inlet. Only takes a few strokes for pink to flow.
This year, being retired, I might do it all.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote