How does plumbing vent system work? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The main thing is not to get excited.
Think if little Grandaughter and family weren't there I would have lost it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Reminds me of our first impression of Montana last month unfortunately. After a full day's drive from Kamiah, ID we pulled into Finley Point on Flathead Lake. Long story short, the guy resembling the warden in Cool Hand Luke ambled up in a golf cart, saw our CA plates and asked "California? Did you vote for Nancy Pelosi?" True story, and it just went downhill from there. We wanted to camp in the non electric sites that he had unilaterally deleted and thought we were hung up about cost. We just wanted quiet. When we asked where we could go he said there was a WalMart in Poulson. Also said if he let us stay there he would wake up with a bunch of teepees. Fifteen miles up the road was Blue Bay- a Native American owned campground that was one of our favorites on the trip. "What we have here is failure to communicate"!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #43

The grey tank is vented through the roof just like the black is. At the left side of the door just behind the awning is a vent exactly the same as the black. Below the trap for the kitchen sink is a "Y" that has a flexible hose attached that runs up behind the white fibreglass trim that surrounds the door. This hose is approximately 1-1/2" in diameter. I have no doubt I also have a piece of ABS pipe in the furnace location but I don't have any smells coming into the trailer so I'm not going to worry about it. We travel with the shower drain closed and often return home with full tanks after dry camping. During hot weather I will add black tank deodorizer to the grey tank to minimize odour. The black tank can get a bit smelly, noticeable when dumping, but the grey can be downright nasty!!!

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Now I understand why we occasionally can smell sewer gas in the trailer while dumping. It's another good reason to not be connected to the sewer while camped.
You can leave the sewer hose connected to the sewer all the time when in a fully serviced site - just leave the dump valves closed (so no sewer gas) except just long enough to dump when a tank gets full.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can leave the sewer hose connected to the sewer all the time when in a fully serviced site - just leave the dump valves closed (so no sewer gas) except just long enough to dump when a tank gets full.
I know Brian but the sewer gas was in the air all around where the sewer hookups were outside . I always add chemicals to my tanks . I am just trying to figure how the gas got in the trailer . I didn't even remove the plug in shower yet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #46

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I decided to go with a marine chrome vent on the side of the trailer. On the odd chance fluid comes up the vent I can see it on the side of the trailer, and any odors are routed outside.

The vent is 5/8 so I used 5/8ID hose. By using 1/2" plumbing I could easily push the tubing on and secure it with a clamp. I did add a rubber washer on the outside and a large metal washer to spread the load on the inside.

Looks good on the outside too
That sure does look good! Does your bathroom sink still drain well? I suspect ETI needed this second grey water vent (to get air behind water) for a good water flow down the bath sink drain.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #47

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
When this is done you need a fitting that seals the slinky to the sewer to keep your neighbours happy.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
anyone tried the sewer solution? does it work is the sewer connection considered a sealed connection?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
When this is done you need a fitting that seals the slinky to the sewer to keep your neighbours happy.
Yes. Some connections are threaded and an adapter on the end of the hose screws into it; some are slip-in, and can be used with a foam sealing ring.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
anyone tried the sewer solution?
I just don't want to behind you at the dump station....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
On the 19 the grey water kitchen drain is vented through the roof.

The bathroom sink, being on the other side of the trailer doesn't lend its' self to connecting to it hence the short vertical length to act as a vent to prevent the outgoing water from siphoning out the water in the sink trap. However leaving the pipe open creates a potential problem of odours from the tank entering the trailer.

The side vent is a good solution and a cheater vent is an alternative. Personally, I wouldn't leave it open. Mine came with a cheater vent installed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
On the 19 the grey water kitchen drain is vented through the roof.

The bathroom sink, being on the other side of the trailer doesn't lend its' self to connecting to it hence the short vertical length to act as a vent to prevent the outgoing water from siphoning out the water in the sink trap. However leaving the pipe open creates a potential problem of odours from the tank entering the trailer.

The side vent is a good solution and a cheater vent is an alternative. Personally, I wouldn't leave it open. Mine came with a cheater vent installed.

Ron
At a cost of $6 why wouldn't ETI install the cheater vent in all of the trailers that they produce ?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Anyone know what the difference of these two devices is?

Not sure if I am actually going to install one or not. I haven't had any odor issues so I might just leave it as is.

Oatey 39016 Sure-Vent Air Admittance Valve with 1-1/2-Inch by 2-Inch PVC Adapter, 2-Inch - Faucet Aerators And Adapters - Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-39012-In...WRJH0P60TP52GC
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Anyone know what the difference of these two devices is?

about $13......
Old 06-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Got an email back form ETI. They said the open tee is the normal design and there is a p trap under the trailer. I left the tee as it was and reinstalled the furnace.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #56

I find that it is usually easier to understand products from the manufacturer's website or catalog than from Amazon or (worse) eBay ads:
Both serve the same function, to be an air admittance valve, and are from the same manufacturer.

The second one seems to be their basic model; it's not even listed among their air admittance valves, but as an accessory to the box it could be mounted in. Besides not coming with an adapter, it may also not have as much airflow capacity, or may take more pressure difference to open. Given that it's buried in a cabinet, I would choose the better one...
Old 11-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Is this vent pipe related to the bathroom sink? If the bathroom sink is not installed will there still be this inside vent stack?
I'm interested if this will be on a 5.0 TA without the sink option. Or, are the new models now supplied with the vent valve? I don't see a roof vent for the grey tank, just one for the black.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Is this vent pipe related to the bathroom sink? If the bathroom sink is not installed will there still be this inside vent stack?
I'm interested if this will be on a 5.0 TA without the sink option. Or, are the new models now supplied with the vent valve? I don't see a roof vent for the grey tank, just one for the black.
The vent you see on top is for the power vent. That's standard whether you get a sink or not.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
My question is about the plumbing vent not the air vent in the bathroom. There is a plumbing vent for the black tank which extends up thru the roof of the trailer but I don't see a grey tank vent which also goes thru the roof.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #60
Site Team

The white cap above the bathroom is for the black water tank. The gray water tank vent is on the top over the kitchen sink.