How does plumbing vent system work? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
On the 19 the grey water kitchen drain is vented through the roof.

The bathroom sink, being on the other side of the trailer doesn't lend its' self to connecting to it hence the short vertical length to act as a vent to prevent the outgoing water from siphoning out the water in the sink trap. However leaving the pipe open creates a potential problem of odours from the tank entering the trailer.

The side vent is a good solution and a cheater vent is an alternative. Personally, I wouldn't leave it open. Mine came with a cheater vent installed.

Ron
Thanks Donna, now I see a vent for the kitchen on "The Big Easy" photos.
Still......
My question is related to venting the bathroom sink and/or shower drain in the 5.0 TA. On the 19 there is a vent pipe in a cabinet. Is there one in the 5.0 also? Is this because of the bathroom sink which I don't want or is it there to vent both the sink and shower drain?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Steve, someone else will need to answer your last questions. Frankly I don't know and Ten Forward isn't stored at the house so I can't even go out and look.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I'm just wondering if this open pipe behind the furnace has been a problem. Has anyone ever had water come out of this? I have not read where anyone has.

Can't imagine ETI would do it this way if there was high risk of water flooding the interior.

I guess if I was concerned about it I might be inclined to install a HEPVO waterless trap on the end as I would trust it more than the air admittance valves.

Replaced my P trap on my Casita with one years back and worked perfectly. I believe Casita installs them as standard equipment now.
Attached Images

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I'm just wondering if this open pipe behind the furnace has been a problem. Has anyone ever had water come out of this? I have not read where anyone has.

Can't imagine ETI would do it this way if there was high risk of water flooding the interior.

I guess if I was concerned about it I might be inclined to install a HEPVO waterless trap on the end as I would trust it more than the air admittance valves.
The height of the open pipe is about the same height as the sink top so it's unlikely water would back up that high.

ETI's position is that the system has P trap near the tank therefore no smells from the tank will back up into the interior via the open vent. I disagree that their assortment of elbows etc. constitutes a P trap. Personally, I think the proper thing to do is cap the open interior vent with a cheater vent.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
So my question is: If there is NO SINK in the bathroom is that vent pipe still there? Does it also vent the shower drain?
If it is there I would want easy access to it so I can install the Oaty Sure Vent Valve.
I don't have a problem with a vent stack in the trailer as it is commonly used in the RV industry but I still don't want an open pipe inside the trailer, especially one that is difficult to get to.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #66

SFDavis, I would like to know as well as I currently plan on deleting the bathroom sink on my 5.0TA.

It is on my list of questions to ask when I visit ETI in March/April 2018 to better understand this open pipe issue.

They should have the 2017 demo 5.0TA to look at by then.

I removed mine in my Casita I previously owned as I never used it and created lot's of room which a larger guy like me appreciated.

It's a personal preference thing some want and use and some don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
So my question is: If there is NO SINK in the bathroom is that vent pipe still there? Does it also vent the shower drain?
If it is there I would want easy access to it so I can install the Oaty Sure Vent Valve.
I don't have a problem with a vent stack in the trailer as it is commonly used in the RV industry but I still don't want an open pipe inside the trailer, especially one that is difficult to get to.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
It is on my list of questions to ask when I visit ETI in March/April 2018 to better understand this open pipe issue.

Seeing they plan on having the first one done in less than 2 months, when you head there in 16-17 months they certainly would have one done. I sure hope so for my sake anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... It is on my list of questions to ask when I visit ETI in March/April 2018 to better understand this open pipe issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seeing they plan on having the first one done in less than 2 months, when you head there in 16-17 months they certainly would have one done.
I assume that this is a typo, and Kent is planning to visit next spring (March/April 2017) - 4 to 5 months from now - in preparation for buying a 5.0TA to be built later in 2017.

While there will be 5.0TAs complete and delivered to customers (including Jim) by then, there's no guarantee that there will be a demonstration unit... although I expect that there will be.

The hidden vent pipe is not readily visible even in a demo/display unit, but at least Escape staff will know whether one is used, and should be able to answer the question about whether or not it would be used if the sink is omitted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #69

Yep it was a typo, will be 2017

According to ETI, they should have a 2017 5.0TA demo ready in this December, but I'm unable to travel due to work until after March next year.

I was hoping, they would have a demo by this month as I could have gone now, but the business I manage will be very busy for winter ski season from December till end of March.