How does plumbing vent system work? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 19'
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by berickso View Post
It's easier to install the AAV (air admittance vent). It costs around $10 (Canadian or 7.49 US). It allows air in and no odor or moisture out.
I agree it would be the quickest/easiest but I am thinking IF the grey tank is overflowing (the sensors are unreliable at times) I would see it running down the side of the trailer......
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If the sensors are inaccurate, it's probably entirely that they indicate more in the tank than there is, not less. I can't imagine the monitor telling you the tank is empty when it wasn't, unless somebody cut the wires.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The correct answer has been posted, the vent should have a "cheater vent" installed. It prevents water from spurting out (doubtful) and allows air in to prevent a vacuum and slow draining of the tank if the traps are full of water and the floor drain is closed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Pulled the furnace and there it is. About 29" above the floor and is just cut pipe.
Now I understand why we occasionally can smell sewer gas in the trailer while dumping. It's another good reason to not be connected to the sewer while camped.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The correct answer has been posted, the vent should have a "cheater vent" installed. It prevents water from spurting out (doubtful) and allows air in to prevent a vacuum and slow draining of the tank if the traps are full of water and the floor drain is closed.

Ron
Alright now you have attention . Is this installation incorrect or a problem ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Now I understand why we occasionally can smell sewer gas in the trailer while dumping. It's another good reason to not be connected to the sewer while camped.
Fumes in the trailer can also happen if you have the powered bathroom vent running at the same time you flush...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fumes in the trailer can also happen if you have the powered bathroom vent running at the same time you flush...
The toilet was not in use. I was referring to dumping with the slinky
Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is the gray water tank. The black water is vented through the roof.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape
Maybe we can get Reace to wade in here and explain this venting system.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Donna what if you don't have a power roof vent and sewer gas is in your trailer ? Pat
Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
This is the gray water tank. The black water is vented through the roof.
Correct. However when connected to the sewer with the grey valve open sewer gas would have a path into the trailer. I believe this is why I smelled the sewer during dumping.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Donna what if you don't have a power roof vent and sewer gas is in your trailer ? Pat
The vent is plugged going out the roof? Truly, it may be worth checking, especially if you have mud daubers and the like. Someone on the CasitaForum mentioned running a water hose down the vent once a year. I don't have the problem, but if I did, I might give this solution a whirl.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #33

My solution to nose pollution ...

I decided to go with a marine chrome vent on the side of the trailer. On the odd chance fluid comes up the vent I can see it on the side of the trailer, and any odors are routed outside.

The vent is 5/8 so I used 5/8ID hose. By using 1/2" plumbing I could easily push the tubing on and secure it with a clamp. I did add a rubber washer on the outside and a large metal washer to spread the load on the inside.

Looks good on the outside too
Attached Thumbnails
Drain vent to side plumbing sml.jpg   Drain vent to side plumbing outside sml.jpg   Drain vent to side Vent part number.jpg  
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If the sensors are inaccurate, it's probably entirely that they indicate more in the tank than there is, not less. I can't imagine the monitor telling you the tank is empty when it wasn't, unless somebody cut the wires.
We let friends and family stay in the trailer whenever it works for them. Most have no RV experience and run water like they are at home... if they can. I like it to be foolproof (excuse the expression).
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Correct. However when connected to the sewer with the grey valve open sewer gas would have a path into the trailer. I believe this is why I smelled the sewer during dumping.
It could have a path into the gray tank but not the trailer if the trap underneath has water in it. It possiably might build up in the tank and if the trap is sucked dry when dumping could allow some in then.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I decided to go with a marine chrome vent on the side of the trailer. On the odd chance fluid comes up the vent I can see it on the side of the trailer, and any odors are routed outside.

The vent is 5/8 so I used 5/8ID hose. By using 1/2" plumbing I could easily push the tubing on and secure it with a clamp. I did add a rubber washer on the outside and a large metal washer to spread the load on the inside.

Looks good on the outside too
Nice fix!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #37

Quote:
The vent is plugged going out the roof? Truly, it may be worth checking, especially if you have mud daubers and the like. Someone on the CasitaForum mentioned running a water hose down the vent once a year. I don't have the problem, but if I did, I might give this solution a whirl.
Donna I believe the black tank vent is over my door on roof . Everything is fine there . What happened we were at a Koa in San Diego with family just got set up and holly cow sewer gas in whole trailer . However it was also outside . We moved 3 times that night until we finally got a spot that didn't stink . In all 30 years of camping never have I had to deal with this problem .I couldn't figure out how this was in trailer . We too were told to close shower plug and that is what we do . Never did this in 2 previous RV's though. Ok I am told to do this I do this to Escape . Now it looks like besides pulling frig I need to check this situation in closet too ? I just want some clarifications here . Anyone who has sum answers or fixes I am all ears. Pat
Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #38
Site Team

Pat, in the 19' the bathroom is across from the door, correct? The vent should be on top of the bathroom, not vented all the way across the top of the trailer to the top of the door.

What I don't understand is why moving 3 times... if the problem was the trailer? Was it the sites? I ran into that one year at the Oregon Gathering... there was a giant sewer cleanout at the back of my site and in the heat it reeked.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Pat, in the 19' the bathroom is across from the door, correct? The vent should be on top of the bathroom, not vented all the way across the top of the trailer to the top of the door.

What I don't understand is why moving 3 times... if the problem was the trailer? Was it the sites? I ran into that one year at the Oregon Gathering... there was a giant sewer cleanout at the back of my site and in the heat it reeked.
Correct . Before we moved 1st time they came out and ran water down the line . Good until they left then stink came back .We were told they need major work to their system . Great . The stink was outside . My ? How was it getting in our trailer ? That was why we moved and moved . Finally we got more to the front in a different line and it was ok . We arrived about 2:30 and finally got settled at about 9pm . I was wrong vent for black is on dinette side ,driver side . Our black tank is under dinette next to wall of shower across from door . I had one of my granddaughter's so I had to stay calm . For all this received a whopping 12. 00 off 1 day and that took a lot of arguing to get that . NEVER will go back . Pat
Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The main thing is not to get excited.