How does plumbing vent system work? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
How does plumbing vent system work?

Just wondering how the black and grey tank vent system work in my 2013 19'?

My furnace stopped working so I pulled it out last night and found a open vent inside furnace cabinet. The drain piping is coming from the bathroom sink and there is an open tee on the line. I assume this is the vent for the grey tank? I thought it would have vented to the roof or at least outside somehow. Is it normal for it just to be open like this to the inside of the trailer?

Photo of vent

I leave the shower drain plug installed when not in use so it looks like this vent would be the first point to overflow if the grey tank was overfilled. A very unfortunate place to have an overflow because there is no access.

Does the black tank vent through the round vent cap on the roof of the trailer?
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Not familiar with the 19, but I'd put in an ABS threaded cleanout-style cap to cap it off and send the pic to ETI asking about it. Our 21 has a flex hose venting from the ABS fitting up to the roof vent - maybe yours didn't get installed/connected?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Our 5.0 SA has the same system, vented to the furnace compartment. Capping it would likely cause problems with draining.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
When we picked up our 19 a few weeks ago, Reace told us that there was this pipe and it was needed just in case the tank needed to vent and you closed the floor drain. He suggested that you should always leave the floor plug open when you travel so that water is not sloshed up through this vent and that it was only likely to happen when traveling with a full tank. I didn't ask why it was there without a cap or outside vent but that is a good question.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 19 foot
I found the same open pipe. Easy solution is to purchase an Air Admittance Vent.
berickso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
When I had the 17 we were advised to travel with the floor drain plug CLOSED, so as not to slosh into the floor of the bathroom. That plumbing configuration may have been different, however. With the 19 we've continued the practice of keeping it closed. In looking at the photo, it appears the top of the TEE is well above the floor drain anyway, so it might not be a problem unless, as Reace told you, the tank is full. Is there room to add a length of pipe onto the TEE and still get the furnace back in?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 19'
I remember something about IF the tank is full and you keep adding water to the sink it will backup to this pipe and run over onto the floor? The sink is higher then the pipe exit?

I was told to keep the bath drain tight or back slosh from the gray tank will come out when driving.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Reace told me two weeks ago that he suggests leaving the floor vent open as it is better to slosh into the floor where it is contained than to have water come out the overflow pipe.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Is there room to add a length of pipe onto the TEE and still get the furnace back in?
Yeah, it should be easy to add a ~6" or longer nipple on top of the tee. Might not be necessary but might make me feel more comfortable about it since any water from the shower sink is draining right through this open tee.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Reace told me two weeks ago that he suggests leaving the floor vent open as it is better to slosh into the floor where it is contained than to have water come out the overflow pipe.
Yeah, I will think about leaving the shower drain plug out from now on . Better to have it back up into the shower than the furnace compartment.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemando View Post
Yeah, I will think about leaving the shower drain plug out from now on . Better to have it back up into the shower than the furnace compartment.
So that's our choice? Stinky gray water on the bathroom floor or behind a wall?

I'm going to check out mine behind the wall. I have assumed it had a check valve and air could flow in but nothing out. Like they used in houses under sinks until they banned them years ago (in our city). I do remember you had to have access to the area where it was installed for inspection and replacement.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I saw someone who had sink or shower running and had a lot of water on the floor and was lucky it did not get out of the shower area. We had the vent leaking so would not close the drain. Replaced the vent but still will not close the drain probably.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #13

Pulled the furnace and there it is. About 29" above the floor and is just cut pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #14

Yours appears to be a good bit higher up off the floor than Chemando's...maybe ETI forgot to add a length to the TEE with his. I'll check mine tonight...if I don't have to pull the flippin' furnace!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Pulled the furnace and there it is. About 29" above the floor and is just cut pipe.
I think if you have 29 inches of water inside your Escape you have an EXCELLENT door seal....and probably a leaking valve in there somewhere.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I removed the propane detector and looked through the hole (if you remove the propane detector you will probably need to glue the backing blocks for the screws back on because they fall off when you remove the screws) and stuck my cell phone in and took a picture. Mine looks to go almost all the way up to the bottom of the closet. Should never be a problem with ordors because of the trap installed under the trailer and just another reason to keep my tank flushed out good.

Now how much humidity is in that area from this? Time to bring home a data logger maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #17

I just finished checking mine the same way, and the TEE is extended way up. It would take a very full/overfull tank to slosh out through there, in my estimation. I only saw the one vertical ABS pipe, though.

My propane detector, however, had no backing blocks! Just screwed into the panel.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The picture is taken from the floor looking up. The pipe on the right is actually the furnace vent.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #19

I'm going to extend the vent with clear plastic tubing to the outside shower box. Easy!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 19 foot
It's easier to install the AAV (air admittance vent). It costs around $10 (Canadian or 7.49 US). It allows air in and no odor or moisture out.
berickso is offline   Reply With Quote