How long does a tank of propane last? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
Sounds as if you get to camp for longer durations than us. Ahhh. someday!
I wish! That's an estimate based on 3 to 4 trips of a couple or 3 days each. But yeah, someday.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We must be an outlier. We refill a tank about once every 8 - 12 days when camping. But, we do use the quick connect to grill, and the wife does like to cook in the trailer as well.
Our experience is similar. We shower, cook, run the heater and fridge and will go through a 20# tank in 8-14 days. (Now if I was backpacking I could make a 4 ounce can of butane last 3 days.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always bought a new trailer before refilling both of my propane tanks, but I have an electric heater and use disposable for cooking, the propane in the trailer is for the refrigerator while under tow.
Is it kosher to have the propane fridge on while towing? I didn't think that was recommended?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Is it kosher to have the propane fridge on while towing? I didn't think that was recommended?
This is a never ending debate between the do's and the don't's. Do what you are comfortable with.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:14 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I do tow with the propane fridge on, but I find it a PIA to stop and shut it down before refueling, and then stopping again to light it. The fridge will stay cold for hours, if nobody opens it.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When refueling, I always keep the trailer out and away from the pump, I use the one on the end and stop at the first pump, fill and exit. I also do an other no-no, leave my motor running while refueling.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
When refueling, I always keep the trailer out and away from the pump, I use the one on the end and stop at the first pump, fill and exit. I also do an other no-no, leave my motor running while refueling.
I too have never shut off my propane when refuelling. I have not travelled all over, but where I have I have never seen a sign saying to do so. Lots of other sources of ignition at the pumps than a pilot light 29' away.

Curious though as to why you leave your engine running for the short period of time refuelling. I know lots of places will refuse to pump if you don't turn it off.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I too have never shut off my propane when refuelling. I have not travelled all over, but where I have I have never seen a sign saying to do so. Lots of other sources of ignition at the pumps than a pilot light 29' away.

Curious though as to why you leave your engine running for the short period of time refuelling. I know lots of places will refuse to pump if you don't turn it off.
For that reason, it is a short period and I grew up with the thought if it is less than 5 minutes off, then leave it running
Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The more important question for this thread is "how long does a good bottle of single malt scotch or bourbon last?"
Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I also do an other no-no, leave my motor running while refueling.
That wastes fuel, and the exhaust fumes are unpleasant for fellow motorists who are also refueling. There are posted signs on the pumps that say shut off engine. Their rationale is a fire hazard, which I think is a pretty remote possibility.

The sign I'm always amused by is the "no cell phone" sign. The theory is that the fumes could be ignited from a spark from the phone. Mythbusters did a show on that and proved its a complete myth. Having said that, they never tested it with a Galaxy Note 7....[emoji23]
Old 12-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Refueling

As long as you don't sit there with a lit cigarette while you are refueling your vehicle I am good. I have seen it happen. That is definitely not kosher.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
For that reason, it is a short period and I grew up with the thought if it is less than 5 minutes off, then leave it running
There is no good reason to do so though, unless it is -40°, or something. Years ago, shortly after getting my Class 1 license, I went to a course offered by a big truck manufacturer, and they dispelled a lot of myths about them. One was that it cost more to restart a truck than leaving it idle for a short while, a lot because of the wear on the starter. Their response to this was that it was false, that the fuel used to start was minimal, and the starter would last a long, long time, something that rarely needed work.

Another myth they busted was that it was better on the engine to let it idle while warming up. Their response was that as soon as the oil pressure was up (a few seconds), it was better on the engine to drive it moderately while it warmed up, as it was faster with better circulation of lubricants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The more important question for this thread is "how long does a good bottle of single malt scotch or bourbon last?"
It should take quite a while, as there should be a selection of a few to taste from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The sign I'm always amused by is the "no cell phone" sign. The theory is that the fumes could be ignited from a spark from the phone. Mythbusters did a show on that and proved its a complete myth. Having said that, they never tested it with a Galaxy Note 7....[emoji23]
I have never seen that, but do agree it is a ridiculous idea. The Note 7 also makes a great campfire starter if nothing else is available. I will be waiting for the Note 8 before I buy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #33

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
propane use

When coming back from Chicago (picking up our trailer ) we put the Fridge on 12 volt with duel batteries and solar no problem at all .Batteries were always fully charged . We have the 2 way water heater and use the 110 option and when hooked up to elec use 110 for fridge also . The only time we intend to use propane is when no elec is available .The 12 volt runs the new fridge just fine .I don't know how it will be this summer ? So we might have this propane for a long time does it ever go bad like gas ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #34

jennykatz,
You may want to update your avatar.....
Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #35

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
And you run with scissors also.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I always run my fridge on propane when driving, and always shut the engine down when refueling. Never problems with exploding propane so I believe that's a non- issue easily discounted.

Thing is, though, I find last couple trips when I get to my destination my fridge on propane wasn't working. It's a nice ice chest, though.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I leave my refrigerator set to auto and will plug it in at home. I've never seen it switch to 12v and have no issues with it running on propane while driving or filling up. The refrigerator is a long ways from my gas tank. It's generally cool where I camp and we use the furnace regularly. A tank of propane lasts me about 2 weeks.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I always run my fridge on propane when driving, and always shut the engine down when refueling. Never problems with exploding propane so I believe that's a non- issue easily discounted.

Thing is, though, I find last couple trips when I get to my destination my fridge on propane wasn't working. It's a nice ice chest, though.
Hi Myron , canned air and pipe cleaners from smoke shop . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sturski, if your fridge works like mine, you have to manually select 12v, auto will not do it for you. They don't want it draining your batteries.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Years ago, shortly after getting my Class 1 license, I went to a course offered by a big truck manufacturer, and they dispelled a lot of myths about them. One was that it cost more to restart a truck than leaving it idle for a short while, a lot because of the wear on the starter. Their response to this was that it was false, that the fuel used to start was minimal, and the starter would last a long, long time, something that rarely needed work.
Years ago, when I drove school bus we had to take a half day course on safety and bus maintenance. We were told to leave the buses idling for short stops because a cost analyses had shown that the cost of replacement starters was greater than the fuel savings. Makes me wonder who was right, your instructor or mine.