How many amps do you pull from the battery? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks, Bob. I thought main DC fuses are more common than main DC breakers, but this is a good detail to know. Because 30 amps seems pretty small to handle the entire DC distribution panel, and happens to correspond to the AC current capacity, it looked like the two might be confused, but I guessed wrong!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... It looks like Alan is asking about DC loads.
Yep, DC load. Normal worst case, if there is such a thing. Example:

Cold evening after dinner. The chief dish washer is doing the dishes and the pump starts running. Frig has been opened a lot so it is still running. Furnace kicks on. Laptop is charging. And of course, a bunch of lights are in use and maybe the radio also. Just for those few minutes when everything just happens to come on.

If there is an answer, it will probably have to come from someone with a high-end battery monitor that was being watched. (And likely not by the person washing the dishes.)

The estimates below seem to be running around 15 amps. (Which would be consistent with a 30 amp fuse/breaker, but that isn't part of this question.)

Thanks!
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Battery life

Hello,
Newbie here with a question on boondocking. We've boondocked once and it was only overnight. Next weekend we're boondocking for 2 full days. Angie, feels we shouldn't use electric tea kettle to boil water like we usually do. She believes even though it's a small appliance, ANY item used to heat requires a lot of amps and will suck the battery dry. That it could potentially damage the battery. She seems quite sure of this and it's easy enough to bring a regular kettle we can use on the range but I'm curious is this true? I've read a few discussions and feel confident boondocking 2 days shouldn't be an issue. What should we do to avoid damaging battery? We have LED lights and our biggest usage is occassionally charging cell phones and tablet. Any advice much appreciated. - Jen
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #14

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
Hello,
Newbie here with a question on boondocking. We've boondocked once and it was only overnight. Next weekend we're boondocking for 2 full days. Angie, feels we shouldn't use electric tea kettle to boil water like we usually do. She believes even though it's a small appliance, ANY item used to heat requires a lot of amps and will suck the battery dry. That it could potentially damage the battery. She seems quite sure of this and it's easy enough to bring a regular kettle we can use on the range but I'm curious is this true? I've read a few discussions and feel confident boondocking 2 days shouldn't be an issue. What should we do to avoid damaging battery? We have LED lights and our biggest usage is occassionally charging cell phones and tablet. Any advice much appreciated. - Jen
True enough: Converting 12v to heat requires a lot of watts. But that said, it is not a guarantee that you will do any damage to your battery. Looking at the problem from the reverse direction - the best way to damage a RV battery is to drain it way down, say to below 11 volts and fail to recharge immediately. If you can avoid doing this then you don't have to worry about severe damage.

If you want to avoid ALL damage then never discharge your battery below the 50% point, which will vary a bit according to the manufacture of your particular battery. But for rough numbers, say 12.5v could be the 50% point. These measurements are taken after the battery has "rested" (no load at all) for a few hours.

That leaves a wide range in-between zero damage and severe damage. Personally, for a nice camping trip I wouldn't worry about the details as long as you didn't make it a habit of stressing your battery every time. Enjoy the trip and recharge as soon as practical.

Hint - upgrade to the 2 battery system and you will have half as much to worry about.

Hope that helps,
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'd just boil water on the propane stove. Actually, that's what I do.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Thanks for the much needed advice. Propane it is and we'll look into getting 2 batteries as we're discovering quite of the places we'd like to visit don't offer hook ups or sites are sold out and we have to settle for those without
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am seeing that the two six-volt battery set-up on the 19's and 21's apparently has them on the bumper now. Don't know if the 17 is the same. That is quite a change from being in the box or in the dinette and guess it requires some tongue weight adjustment.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
Angie, feels we shouldn't use electric tea kettle to boil water like we usually do. She believes even though it's a small appliance, ANY item used to heat requires a lot of amps and will suck the battery dry.
Yes, a useful amount of heat represents a lot of energy. While all heat for cooking can be provided using energy from the batteries, it takes a lot of battery and a lot of solar or other power source to replace it. A small amount of propane provides the same energy as a massive pile of battery.

Burning just one kilogram of propane (about one tenth of a tank) can provide 46 megajoules of energy; storing that much energy in a battery of the type used in our trailers would take about ten of the 12-volt batteries used in an Escape.

As long as I have a propane stove in an RV, I would not use battery power to simply heat anything.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I am seeing that the two six-volt battery set-up on the 19's and 21's apparently has them on the bumper now. Don't know if the 17 is the same. That is quite a change from being in the box or in the dinette and guess it requires some tongue weight adjustment.
If I have this straight the batteries are located...
  • 17' - rear bumper (single on left, dual one on each side)
  • 19' - tongue (possibly only dual, with single inside)
  • 21' - curbside dinette
  • 5.0/5.0TA - curbside dinette
Are you saying that the 21' has changed to bumper mounting on both 19' and 21'? I had not heard that. Can anyone with a recent 19' or 21' with dual batteries confirm this?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is seen in their photos, however, photos are often old.
Ours are in the box. I wonder who just picked up six-volts, any model.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote