How many amps do you pull from the battery? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #1

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
How many amps do you pull from the battery?

Not in the worst case. But more like a coincidence of many items running at the same time, but in a normal situation. To be precise, I'm not asking about an inverter or other major high-drain device (that I probably don't own).

So for example: Its a cold evening and the furnace is running, you are doing the dishes and the pump comes on, refrigerator, radio and a number of interior lights are running. What would be the amp draw in that scenario? (If I missed anything in the standard configuration, please mention it.)

If you have an amp meter in your fancy battery monitor then perhaps you can give me a precise number. But if you have a informed guess than I would appreciate that also.

Thanks!
Alan

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
14 amps is as highest draw I've seen at one time., that was with the refer on 12 volts. Other then that it would be when the pump or furnace kicks in, the only other thing that would be on would be a couple led lights, so maybe 4 amps.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Other than the refer which I switch to propane if not hooked up, your Atwood furnace is probably the biggest drain. But at 2 amps/hour it is the lowest furnace on the market. so over a 24 hour period at 50% use there is about 24 amps. The lights, if LED are minimal, and the pump is not run constantly. I guesstimate an average daily use of 30 amp draw in the winter from my battery before the next solar charging kicks in. In warmer climates about 10/day. Thus your solar if equipped should refill your draw daily.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape
power used by each appliance in 19 ft, 2011
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Worst case for me (not running the inverter) is around 12 amps. That would be charging & running my laptop (9 amps) cell phone amp & hotspot (1 amp) and the furnace (2 amps).

If I'm making a pot of coffee, the inverter draws 65 amps for around 8 minutes.

I generally will average about 25 - 30 amp hours per day.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Worst case for me (not running the inverter) is around 12 amps. That would be charging & running my laptop (9 amps) cell phone amp & hotspot (1 amp) and the furnace (2 amps).

I generally will average about 25 - 30 amp hours per day.
Good to know the furnace only draws about 2 amps.

Anyone know how much the pump pulls?

Inverters, TV, CPAP, and similar I wouldn't consider as included in the base installation, so aren't of immediate interest.

Amp-hours or amp-days are also not my goal with this question. A closer example (but not exactly on target) would be "what master fuse" to use. Or, in other words, instantaneous draw is what I am trying to estimate in an "almost" worst case. 'Frig running, pump turns on, radio on, furnace comes on - perhaps 14 amps as 'padlin' has observed?

Since my wife got a laptop for her birthday I probably should add that to the "likely" load.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

I believe the ETI installed inline breaker is 30A, why do you want to go smaller?
Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Just remember that when your furnace is operating you are probably not using the refer too much since it is cold versus when it is hot and the furnace is off but the refer is running full time.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I believe the ETI installed inline breaker is 30A...
The main AC breaker is 30 amps, matching the 30-amp shore power cord and the most common campsite service - is that what you're referring to, Bob? It looks like Alan is asking about DC loads. The DC circuits are generally fused - is there a main DC breaker at only 30 amps?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The main AC breaker is 30 amps, matching the 30-amp shore power cord and the most common campsite service - is that what you're referring to, Bob? It looks like Alan is asking about DC loads. The DC circuits are generally fused - is there a main DC breaker at only 30 amps?
I thought all trailers have one, my Escape and my Starcraft both had a main DC breaker. This is the one on the Escape, it's between the batteries and the 12v disconnect switch, if you have the 2 6v batteries. Larger left hand cable goes to the batteries, right side goes to the switch, upper thin wire goes to the solar charger via it's fuse, I believe the thinner lower wire goes to the umbilical cord, but I could be wrong on that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edit2 (1075 x 1079).jpg (226.9 KB, 13 views)