How much propane do you burn below freezing? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We go spring skiing in Jasper when the temps at night drop to -10 to -15C. This is dry camping off the grid. The furnace runs on and off throughout the night and keeps us warm no problem. We also use electricity for Laptops etc. Our single factory solar panel charges our two 6 volt batteries no problem. We are very comfortable doing this, and have gone for 4 nights, but could do so for much longer. At times we also carry one of those supplemental re-chargeable power sources for our electronics. The nice thing about having dual propane is that if you run out you can switch tanks and go in for a refill in the next few days. I should add that we have the extra insulation and thermal windows, but no spray foam.

ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
We have an old 17B and the tanks are smaller than current 17Bs (which are still smaller than 19s and 21s). I believe our black is 7 gal and our grey is 12 gal. We're fine with two humans for 3-4 days that way. We conserve water as much as possible, and it's usually the black tank that's the limiting factor (water in = water out, can't get around it unless you pee in the woods, and then I'm caffeinating frogs). If you haven't camped in a trailer before one thing you may not know is the shower head comes with a real easy toggle, so you just get wet, turn it off, soap up, and then turn the water back on and rinse off. I don't think I've used 5 gal on a shower ever in the trailer!
Whoops forgot to mention: I think you'll be fine with two 20lb propane tanks. We've camped below freezing with the thermostat set to as close as we could get to 60 degrees F (15ish C) and it really sipped at the propane. I know the 21 is a larger box to heat, but I can't imagine it'll be that big of an issue. I agree, bring along the extra tank in case, but I'm pretty sure you won't need it.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #33

Trailer: None yet
Dave & Hillary, thanks for the responses - they are all very encouraging.

Dave, I'm impressed that you could camp in those cold weather with 95w panel + 2 batteries and no foams. I'm a chicken so I'll still go with at least 2x95w but I am impressed!

Also good to hear that 5g is more than enough for a shower. My DW and I plan to have some competition on who can shower with the least amount of water some day... lol.
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #34

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I should mention, since ours is older, we don't have extra insulation or thermal windows because those weren't even options then. We did buy and use a portable 85 watt solar panel and the trailer only has one group 27 battery.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #35

Trailer: none
I say great idea to run all your scenarios, plot and scheme now, to minimize surprises after purchase. some enjoyable mental stimulation up front, a good idea of what you're getting into down the road.
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post

Also good to hear that 5g is more than enough for a shower. M.
So "g" does for gallons! That's several times what we use and have used per shower for years on our boat. As others have said, wet, water off, soap, shampoo, water on, rinse. After a while it just becomes second nature.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote