How much should I open the valve on the propane tank? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape19
How much should I open the valve on the propane tank?

Hi Escape owners,

My dear husband just told me he only turn the propane valve half way for the past 10 days. we are camping nearby ski resort so it is cold day and night. We already filled two empty tanks...

I got an impression that from the orientation video, it mentioned turn the valve all the way on. Should we always turn the propane valve all the way on as best practice, or half way is ok too? I googled the internet and got some saying you have to turn it on all the way and some saying you don't need to.

I wonder what could happen for not opening the valves(of two tanks) all the way on.

Will the propane leak?
Or cause the furnace not working properly?
Or it will cause the pressure regular not able to function properly? Like switch to another propane tank when the propane is not fully used up?

We have a 2018 escape 19.

Thanks a lot,
Jing
jmcrv2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've always opened propane tanks fully. Just don't open them too quickly or you may trigger a valve inside that shuts down if it detects a sudden rush of gas. I open both tanks.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I believe that there are some gas valves that have double seals that fully seal when either fully closed or fully open. When the gas valve is partly open it may not leak at first but the older it gets the more the chance is that it could leak when half open. This may or may not apply to propane valves. Since I always fully open my other types of compressed gases all the way I do it for my propane also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I would open your gas valves all the way . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While the double seated valves are usually on high pressure tanks such as oxygen, I believe some large (ie 500 gallon) propane tanks use them.

In any case, I always thought that just opening the tank a turn or two made it faster to shut one off during an emergency.

When this question came up a couple of years ago, I checked with some of those in the know, including both my local volunteer fire department & a large propane dealer and the answer was that the valves should be opened ALL THE WAY, even on standard single seated valves such as those on 20 lb tanks.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While the double seated valves are usually on high pressure tanks such as oxygen, I believe some large (ie 500 gallon) propane tanks use them.

In any case, I always thought that just opening the tank a turn or two made it faster to shut one off during an emergency.

When this question came up a couple of years ago, I checked with some of those in the know, including both my local volunteer fire department & a large propane dealer and the answer was that the valves should be opened ALL THE WAY, even on standard single seated valves such as those on 20 lb tanks.
Thanks Jon for the post didn’t know the reasoning but did always open all the way . Pat
Old 12-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
do NOT jam them all the way open, however, thats bad for the threads and seals
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
do NOT jam them all the way open, however, thats bad for the threads and seals
Good advice John ! Pat
Old 12-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrv2017 View Post
Hi Escape owners,

My dear husband just told me he only turn the propane valve half way for the past 10 days.
Jing

I'm curious why he thinks propane should only be turned on half way. What has he been told?
Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm curious why he thinks propane should only be turned on half way. What has he been told?
That is a good question. I don't think anyone told him to do this. Probably just like we turn half-way for city water to avoid high pressure? Or maybe just want to save some propane.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
That is a good question. I don't think anyone told him to do this. Probably just like we turn half-way for city water to avoid high pressure? Or maybe just want to save some propane.

Turning city water on half way does not reduce the pressure. It just reduces the amount of flow. You need a pressure reduction valve ( cheap $10 ) to reduce pressure.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Escape owners,

My dear husband just told me he only turn the propane valve half way for the past 10 days. we are camping nearby ski resort so it is cold day and night. We already filled two empty tanks...

I got an impression that from the orientation video, it mentioned turn the valve all the way on. Should we always turn the propane valve all the way on as best practice, or half way is ok too? I googled the internet and got some saying you have to turn it on all the way and some saying you don't need to.

I wonder what could happen for not opening the valves(of two tanks) all the way on.

Will the propane leak?
Or cause the furnace not working properly?
Or it will cause the pressure regular not able to function properly? Like switch to another propane tank when the propane is not fully used up?

We have a 2018 escape 19.

Thanks a lot,
Jing
Thanks for all your explain and answers. He turned both tanks all the way on now.

For the potential leak, it would be outside of inside of trailer? The built-in propane detector never alarmed... We did test it at the beginning of the trip. Guess we should be fine.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #13

Propane detector will alarm if propane is present inside the trailer. It can also alarm if a dog sleeps next to it and farts. You should vacuum the face plate, or wipe it down with a damp cloth regularly ( weekly, says the manual ).
Old 12-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
For the potential leak, it would be outside of inside of trailer?
If being partway open causes a leak, that leak would be at the tank valve. If it's open at all, the position of the tank valve can't affect the operation of anything else, other than causing excessive pressure drop at high flow rates.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Out of habit with most valves, I open them all the way and then back just a little bit. Thinking is if there is corrosion (unlikely with propane) inside the valve, then you have the ability to twist the stem back and forth a little and hopefully free it up. Likely acquired this habit from water valves which can stick due to sediment in the water. Old dog new tricks ya know ….

Tom
Old 12-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #16

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:

Good to know!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Out of habit with most valves, I open them all the way and then back just a little bit. Thinking is if there is corrosion (unlikely with propane) inside the valve, then you have the ability to twist the stem back and forth a little and hopefully free it up. Likely acquired this habit from water valves which can stick due to sediment in the water. Old dog new tricks ya know ….

Tom
When I had the municipal pools (6) and the water systems in our 4000 acre park system we taught the maintenance guys to open the water valves all the way and then close them just a little. That way you could always work them free the next spring if they rusted or had sediment in them. But on gas valves including gas chlorine in 150 lb. cylinders it was always open all the way. Fire hydrants always all the way because of the way they drained back.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #18

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
When this question came up a couple of years ago, I checked with some of those in the know, including bo valves should be opened ALL THE WAY, even on standard single seated valves such as those on 20 lb tanks.
Would someone please define "all the way?"

I was told by my LP gas supplier that you only open them until you feel it getting "all the way" and back off a eight to quarter turn to avoid sticking and ruining seals. I'd like to see an actual documented reason to open them "all the way" and leaving them there.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
most valves, you turn them 2-3 turns, and the orifice is as open as it gets. any more doesn't really do anything. thats true for garden hose bibs, and its true for propane taml valves.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
As a welder who uses gas and oxygen for cutting (including both propane and acetylene) it is a safety practice to open the oxygen bottle all the way, it has a double sealing valve. The gas tank is only opened enough to produce a flow. You turn on the gas last and turn it back off first. Gas tanks don't have double sealing valves. At the torch end it is just the opposite, you open the gas and light the torch then add the oxygen. To shut the torch down you close the oxygen first then the gas.
SkipperClyde is offline   Reply With Quote