Inside Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,226
Bob,
Did you install the Blue Sky or the Bogart controller for your solar? Both of those units have the ability to charge the dual Interstate 6 volt at the proper rate. Owners with the GoPower controller provided by Escape or those using the WFCO shore power charger will probably never achieve the high voltage charge rates that the above two controllers can.

I think you are correct in that the sulfur odor comes with the high voltage charge and thus the only beneficiaries will be those charging at those rates.

I can sympathize with those having to move a queen or full size mattress to check fluids in the battery. I usually only perform such a task twice a year and for those so affected they could couple it with the vacuum cleaning under the bed.
__________________

__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,817
Hi Paul, I ended up with the Bogart. Like yourself, it doesn't get up to the higher voltage very often, but when it does I get the smell. Was reminded about it today, and hence the question, when this am I used my standalone 10A charger on them in the basement, it goes up over 16v and I got the same smell. Obviously the venting in the trailer is not doing the job it is intended to do, question is what's the fix.
I read that the hydrogen gas rises, my battery boxes are vented on the side. Maybe that has something to do with it, I'll try replacing the closed cell foam and see if I can get a better seal. If that doesn't work I'll have to start looking for a replacement or better venting.

Thanks all.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hi Paul, I ended up with the Bogart. Like yourself, it doesn't get up to the higher voltage very often, but when it does I get the smell. Was reminded about it today, and hence the question, when this am I used my standalone 10A charger on them in the basement, it goes up over 16v and I got the same smell. Obviously the venting in the trailer is not doing the job it is intended to do, question is what's the fix.
I read that the hydrogen gas rises, my battery boxes are vented on the side. Maybe that has something to do with it, I'll try replacing the closed cell foam and see if I can get a better seal. If that doesn't work I'll have to start looking for a replacement or better venting.

Thanks all.
How long is the smell there for.
most controllers will only equalize charge about ounce per month.
how about venting trailer with max fan when smell arrives.
__________________
2015 5.0TA, 2015 Silverado 5.3
TRAILER NAME: " SUNBIRDS EGSK8P "
16 to 18 MPG CDN Towing
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The 21 and 5.0TA are the first to have batteries installed inside aren't they?
The original 5.0 was essentially the same design as the 5.0TA in most respects - I don't recall external batteries, so I assume they are inside on that model as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,036
Hydrogen gas will certainly rise in air (there's no less dense gas than hydrogen), but it also won't smell... the smell is coming from a component other than hydrogen (presumably a sulphur compound), and may be carried up by the hydrogen.

Of course, that doesn't help at all to answer the question of how to better seal the box...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,654
Take off the battery compartment cover on your battery box, I found that the foam seal had come off and it was not completely sealed around the top, check your for this issue.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
How long is the smell there for.
most controllers will only equalize charge about ounce per month.
how about venting trailer with max fan when smell arrives.
The Bogart Controller has a pseudo equalize, not a real one. It goes into the higher "equalize" voltage as the 3rd stage of a 4 stage charge, the last being float, there is no schedule for it. In practice, the solar day is usually over before it gets that far. I've smelled it maybe 3 or 4 times since installing solar in July. And yes, the fan would get rid of it, but I'd like to prevent it.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Take off the battery compartment cover on your battery box, I found that the foam seal had come off and it was not completely sealed around the top, check your for this issue.
I've done this and it was fine. It is kind of strange foam though, one side is stuck to the cover and the other has a rather hard plastic tape on it, kind of like 2 sided tape where they didn't remove the 2nd side. I'm have to look for some thing that will conform to the edge of the box better.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It is kind of strange foam though, one side is stuck to the cover and the other has a rather hard plastic tape on it, kind of like 2 sided tape where they didn't remove the 2nd side. I'm have to look for some thing that will conform to the edge of the box better.
That makes some sense to me, with a durable top surface and foam under it to conform to the top. If you're looking for better alternatives, there are rubber gaskets for automotive use that are available in bulk which might be suitable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hydrogen gas will certainly rise in air (there's no less dense gas than hydrogen), but it also won't smell... the smell is coming from a component other than hydrogen (presumably a sulphur compound), and may be carried up by the hydrogen.

Of course, that doesn't help at all to answer the question of how to better seal the box...
That's true - Hydrogen has no odor. The off-gassing is more likely Hydrogen Sulfide which has a rotten egg smell. Generally the more sulfated the battery, the stronger the smell.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.