Inverter question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Nice to know there is an option to switch automatically. The only thing left to remember is to turn off the inverter when it is not needed.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Nice to know there is an option to switch automatically. The only thing left to remember is to turn off the inverter when it is not needed.
No, not just that...you also need to remember to turn off the circuit breaker to the air conditioner and the circuit breaker to the converter charger and any other large load circuit breakers when the auto switch connects the inverter....and make sure the refrigerator has been switched over to propane....and that is why I went with a manual switch because everything is changed correctly when the switch is moved from shore power to inverter power. It involves more than changing the 120 volt supply source.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
No, not just that...you also need to remember to turn off the circuit breaker to the air conditioner and the circuit breaker to the converter charger and any other large load circuit breakers when the auto switch connects the inverter....
That's why the best approach is to split the AC panel into two sections, with only the one supporting stuff you want to be inverter-powered fed by the auto-transfer switch for the inverter. RV electrical systems can get complex.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's why the best approach is to split the AC panel into two sections, with only the one supporting stuff you want to be inverter-powered fed by the auto-transfer switch for the inverter. RV electrical systems can get complex.
Brian, have you wired your trailer like you're suggesting or are you speculating?? With my setup I don't have to chose one or the other. It is customized so whatever I want I can run on either of the AC supplies...not one or the other...like my refrigerator and microwave...and all of the electrical outlets. BTW, it isn't safe to run two different 120vac supplies into a single outlet junction box.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
BTW, it isn't safe to run two different 120vac supplies into a single outlet junction box.
Why? A single outlet JB as in a duplex? The metal tab that connects the outlets is meant to be broken allowing each outlet to have its own 15 or 20 amp breaker. It's allowed in the BC Building code and works great in my kitchen and garage.

Am I missing something?

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Why? A single outlet JB as in a duplex? The metal tab that connects the outlets is meant to be broken allowing each outlet to have its own 15 or 20 amp breaker. It's allowed in the BC Building code and works great in my kitchen and garage.

Am I missing something?
As long as the supply at the main breaker in the RV is turned off both supplies will be disconnected. This would mitigate my safety concern.