Leaking T&P Valve on Hot Water Tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Leaking T&P Valve on Hot Water Tank

We had the new to us unit out for a shakedown trip this past weekend. It is amazing how many things you don't realize you need when switching from a tent to a trailer!

I fired up the hot water heater (what a luxury!) and noticed a small drip coming from the back corner of the trailer. I opened the exterior cover on the hot water heater and there a small drip coming from the T&P valve. It appears that this has been going on for a while as the T&P valve is covered in a blue-green coating. It looks like I might need to replace the valve. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their hot water heater?
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
Before swapping it out, try opening it a few times by pulling the lever and allowing some water to flow as there may be some debris on the valve seat preventing a good seal.

You'll need to ensure your system is pressurized for this to work.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From the Escape manual:

Pressure Relief Valve - Weeping or Dripping
As in residential water heaters, the water heater equipped in recreational vehicles contains a pressure
relief valve, located behind the exterior water heater door. It is designed to open if the temperature of the
water within reaches 210 degrees F or if excessive pressure is built up. When pressure reaches 150
pounds, the relief valve will open and water will drip from the valve. The valve will close automatically
once the pressure falls below 150 pounds. This dripping is normal and does not indicate a malfunctioning
or defective valve.
Also, as water is heated, it expands and with the closed water system in a recreational vehicle, water
expansion will cause weeping at the pressure relief valve.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
We had the new to us unit out for a shakedown trip this past weekend. It is amazing how many things you don't realize you need when switching from a tent to a trailer!

I fired up the hot water heater (what a luxury!) and noticed a small drip coming from the back corner of the trailer. I opened the exterior cover on the hot water heater and there a small drip coming from the T&P valve. It appears that this has been going on for a while as the T&P valve is covered in a blue-green coating. It looks like I might need to replace the valve. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their hot water heater?
Ours always decided to leak at the hot water line in the bath. Several things to consider:
The system is closed and not long and pressure builds up. We found differences by making sure the lines were not still pressurized when first heating the hot water; e.g release pressure if on the pump and have it off or turn off city water until the fist initial heating of water is done.

Ultimately I added an accumulator which gave the heating hot water a place to expand to as well as giving us a quieter pump and one that did not pulse on low volume at a tap. Best recent addition we have made. Should have added it years ago.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
An accumulator sounds like a good idea. What type/brand of accumulator and where did you install it? Is it possible to see a picture of it installed?
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7ztw View Post
An accumulator sounds like a good idea. What type/brand of accumulator and where did you install it? Is it possible to see a picture of it installed?
Bought a Shurflo accumulator (available on-line or almost any RV store). I installed it right next to the pump in a straight line. That way all I had to do was slightly lift the braided flex up and connect it to a longer piece of braid flex coming off of the accumulator. You can see that I bought some 90 degree PEX fittings with the swivel connectors and some fixed 90 degree fittings to make the smoothest transition. The large loop up from the accumulator in picture number two is my addition. Your layout may be different. HINT: the braided "thin wall" flex that ETI uses is difficult to come by. I bought thicker wall braided flex at Home Depot and made some adjustments which I won't go into here. If anyone wants more details they can PM me, but this post will give you some ideas on how to proceed. A search will turn up others who have added an accumulator to solve noise or pulsing problems. I didn't realize that it would solve my hot water heater startup leaking problem as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4938.jpg   IMG_4939.jpg  
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From the Escape manual:

Pressure Relief Valve - Weeping or Dripping
I should have read the manual first... Thanks!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Bought a Shurflo accumulator (available on-line or almost any RV store). I installed it right next to the pump in a straight line. That way all I had to do was slightly lift the braided flex up and connect it to a longer piece of braid flex coming off of the accumulator. You can see that I bought some 90 degree PEX fittings with the swivel connectors and some fixed 90 degree fittings to make the smoothest transition. The large loop up from the accumulator in picture number two is my addition. Your layout may be different. HINT: the braided "thin wall" flex that ETI uses is difficult to come by. I bought thicker wall braided flex at Home Depot and made some adjustments which I won't go into here. If anyone wants more details they can PM me, but this post will give you some ideas on how to proceed. A search will turn up others who have added an accumulator to solve noise or pulsing problems. I didn't realize that it would solve my hot water heater startup leaking problem as well.
This sounds like a great addition! I'll put that on the to-do list. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thanks, Tim.
Been wanting to add that myself. Good explanation and pics.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7ztw View Post

I added a PST-1, what they call a 1 gallon tank that really holds 1/2 a gallon. Would have gone for a 2 gallon like I had in my last trailer but there's not enough room.

Groco, Accumulator Tank
Attached Thumbnails
expansion2 (600 x 337).jpg  
Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
With those accumulator tanks ..... do you have to worry about them freezing .... or do they drain?

Maybe it doesn't freeze in Longview ....

Tom
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know if you have to worry about it but I don't. I've had one for 10 years and it's never frozen and I'm certainly in the freeze zone.

The way I understand it, air pressure on the dry side of the tanks rubber bladder completely empties the tank, or pretty close to it, when there is no water pressure in the system. As the water pump applies greater water pressure the rubber bladder in the tank backs off allowing water in the tank.

I do use RV antifreeze which gets blown out right after I put it in.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
With those accumulator tanks ..... do you have to worry about them freezing .... or do they drain?

Maybe it doesn't freeze in Longview ....

Tom
It is just a line going into a tank with a bladder. It drains when you drain your lines but I always use the anti-freeze as the trailer is outside. Yes, it does freeze in Longview, at times.