Lensun 100W 12V Foldable Flexible Solar Panel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lensun 100W 12V Foldable Flexible Solar Panel

If I was in the market for portable solar, this unit would be near the top of the list. It uses the same technology as the panels I installed on my roof, which I believe to be the best in flexible solar available right now. It would be easier than putting one together with individual panels.

The Lensun 100W portable Solar Panel review from Gadget Addict, Ideal for Camping van and Rvs | Lensun Solar Panel – Lensunsolar

Bare bones with no controller
Lensun 100W 12V Ultralight Folding Solar Panel with MC4 Connector, Portable for Outdoor Camping

The full kit with a controller and accessories
Lensun 100W Solar Charge Power Kit, Foldable Portable Flexible Solar Panel for Camping Van, Caravan, Motorhomes and RVs
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Jim,
Thank you for sharing the Solar Panel info.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I purchased a Lensun 100W portable Solar Panel without controller to add to my MPPT system. It arrived with a 1/4" dent in the middle panel. I contacted Lensun and they said this sometimes happens in manufacturing but should not affect the performance. My point back to them is that I shouldn't have received a factory second - I expected to receive a panel without manufacturing defects.

I have not received an answer as to what they will do about the panel. "Supposedly" I have a 30 day return policy per their website but they don't seem to want to honor that either.

Did I mention that their US phone number is out of service?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170721_130816.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

As a ps to the previous post - I also ordered two 50 watt panels from Lensun at the same time to mount on the roof of my 21'.

2PCS 50W(total 100Watt) 12V High Quality Black Flexible Solar Panel for VW T4 T5 Camper, Bus

They were received in perfect condition and work fine. Lensun does seem to make good panels - it's their customer service that needs to improve.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
As a ps to the previous post - I also ordered two 50 watt panels from Lensun at the same time to mount on the roof of my 21'.

2PCS 50W(total 100Watt) 12V High Quality Black Flexible Solar Panel for VW T4 T5 Camper, Bus

They were received in perfect condition and work fine. Lensun does seem to make good panels - it's their customer service that needs to improve.
Watching this thread because I was getting ready to pull the trigger . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
I did pull the trigger - the usb port is not working... contacted Lensun and awaiting their reply. My trailer will not be hatched until the first of Sept so will be checking the connects then... hopefully no problems!!
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Lensun does seem to make good panels - it's their customer service that needs to improve.
Sorry to hear of the issue with the panel. I certainly would not want to accept it with that blemish, even it in fact did work just fine. Maybe if they offered some kind of discount.

Customer Service is paramount to any successful business. When I was looking to buy, they were certainly responding well, but I never had to deal with after purchase issues, and this is the critical service.

Too bad, as I really do still believe that the product is a really good improvement in flexible panels.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #8

I think some of the customer relations problems may be due to communication issues. Lensun is a chinese company and may be struggling a little with english. That said, I received an email this morning:

"Thanks for getting back, we will give you some 50.00USD discount for the defective solar panel. is it ok ?
If you don't accept the discount we can arrange to you to exchange."

As I plan on using the panel for a long time and have doubts about the EVA /ETFE top layer on the defect, I replied that I would like to exchange the product.

My point in all this is that all manufacturers will sometimes have product issues - it's how they deal with them that differentiates good companies from the bad ones. With them offering to discount or exchange the panel, Lensun goes back to my good list.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:

My point in all this is that all manufacturers will sometimes have product issues - it's how they deal with them that differentiates good companies from the bad ones. With them offering to discount or exchange the panel, Lensun goes back to my good list.
Lord of truth in this. Glad they did the right thing. I too would have done the exchange.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #10

I received the replacement portable panel today. The panel looks good and tests per specs. But God bless their little hearts, they don't seem to be able to put a panel together without something going wrong. In the pic below, look at the cable seals - one was put in backwards and then crushed. There is no way that will seal out moisture.

I can replace the connector - the point is that I shouldn't have to. Lensun QC seems to fairly lax in that out of two panels - both have defects.

Am I expecting too much for something "Made in China"?
Attached Thumbnails
Lensun-Portable-connectors.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I don't think so... but perhaps you're expecting too much for something made for a company which does not depend on a reputation for high quality, and so does not spend the money or do the work to ensure high quality. I have no idea if there is a brand in the solar business which would be better.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Before Osoyoos I will likely order that folding panel. I'm thinking I'll replace the aluminum (?) bars with dowel or pvc if it'll fit, and maybe drill a 2x4 so that the 3 ground level contacts are more stable. I think my biggest concern will be finding a way to lock it so it doesn't disappear.

On edit--the legs are stainless. So unless they are too bendy, they'll be fine.

Also I may be able to mount w the heavy duty suction cups at the top, with a pvc frame to hold the bottom away from the car or trailer. Less likely to wander.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
TDF I sure don't think you are.

Especially after reading this in a NY Times about potential tariffs " Pacemakers and artificial joints. Defibrillators. Dental fillings. Birth-control pills and vaccines. All are made in China..." I certainly hope that they have some excellent quality control on all those!!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #14

China has the capacity and capability of building to any quality standard we want, unfortunately most folks want things as cheap as possible. Plus, not much choice yet with most solar, as it is mostly made in China. I know the local solar store I deal with has a lot of Chinese product.