Lets talk -- sewer hose supports - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We have found curbs in front of drains, drains that are sideways, drains high off the ground. In each case the support made draining possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill?
I don't think so - the trailer's outlet must still be above the dump site, but a support can get past those obstacles without creating a trap between the trailer and the drain.

If you really need to drain uphill, the solution is a macerator pump... but no RV campground or dumpsite should require that.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill? We have never found a way to do that.
Well, not exactly uphill, but pretty close.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I keep my sewer hose stored at camp, and only pull it out when I need to use it. I don't really care to have it laying about when not it use. Rinse and store after dumping takes less than a minute, and you need to rinse every time you use it anyway, otherwise..........
Precisely my approach. It takes all of 5 minutes to hook it up, dump, and rinse it. And even for an extended stay, I doubt I would have to dump it more than once. Like you Jim, I don't care to have it attached when not in use.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill? We have never found a way to do that.
The support never lets it drop below the obstruction. See my comment on the curb. The curb we found was 8 inches high. The drain was on the other side. Without the support the slinky would have been on the ground and then have had to climb 8 inches before reaching the drain. The "stuff" never would have made it. So... We didn't change the uphill, we prevented it from happening.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The sites are Maryhill State Park in Washington (rally happening there next month) have sewer connections that are above ground level. I meant to take a picture the last time I was there, but basically the connection comes out of the ground at a 90 degree angle, the pipe isn't threaded and requires a rubber donut to seal. Anyway... without using some sort of support, you'd have to stand there and hold the dang hose while it drains... ick.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
On our recent trek south we encountered quite a few sites that did not have the drainage thing figured out. Some were as Donna described, with 90's coming out of the ground. Others just had the slope the wrong way. Bent over holding a hose is just wrong even if you come up with a cute name for it We used our shower a lot and we liked it: We needed to dump frequently. I bought an expanding Camco support but haven't used it yet.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
We have the expanding Camco support and use it to keep the hose off the ground, out of the "muck" and when we attach to 90 connections (we only drain our tanks when full but keep the hose attached). Also, surprisingly, we have been in two RV parks (Olde Stone Village, Oregon, and another in Nevada) which required that hoses be on a rack or something similar.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
OK. So as an inexperienced newbie I still get to ask the dumb questions... When you're camped and have a sewer hookup, do you just set up the connection between your sewer hose and the sewer (probably using the wrong terminology!!) but have the black tank closed until you need it? Or do you only set up the connection when you want to drain? What's the benefit of keeping it all set up and having to walk over it when you will only need it every week or so?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
OK. So as an inexperienced newbie I still get to ask the dumb questions... When you're camped and have a sewer hookup, do you just set up the connection between your sewer hose and the sewer (probably using the wrong terminology!!) but have the black tank closed until you need it? Or do you only set up the connection when you want to drain? What's the benefit of keeping it all set up and having to walk over it when you will only need it every week or so?
We usually keep both tanks closed until its time to dump the black. Dump the black first and then the grey as a rinse. We need to dump every two days since we're not economical and love the shower. There are some on who don't use the toilet, or the shower, or the sink, or the stove.... or can do it with only 1.267 millilitres of water. If I've got got sewer, then I've got water, and if I have water, then I've got a hot shower. As far as walking over the hose, that side of the trailer is usually parked tight to the edge of the pad with the power and water connections dangling on that side. I don't spend more time than I have to on that side and if I'm going for a walk I go out through the door instead of the bath window Besides that's the side that the previous tenant spilled their sewage. Our water usage changes when we dry camp, but then we also don't have a sewer connection. From my point of view, if you have a sewer connection, then plug it in so you're not surprised by a sudden need to connect and empty the tanks (we're talking about the trailer here) in the middle of the night. At least if its connected, all you have to do is open the valve.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Don't leave your black tank valve open unless you're dumping. In fact, I like Jim's and other's approach to not bother with connecting the sewer hose UNLESS you're dumping. Nothing should be flowing in it anyway. We didn't bother to hook it up after we'd camped at about 4 or 5 places. We finally figured out that we could hook it up only to dump and leave it at that.