Lets talk -- sewer hose supports - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We have found curbs in front of drains, drains that are sideways, drains high off the ground. In each case the support made draining possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill?
I don't think so - the trailer's outlet must still be above the dump site, but a support can get past those obstacles without creating a trap between the trailer and the drain.

If you really need to drain uphill, the solution is a macerator pump... but no RV campground or dumpsite should require that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill? We have never found a way to do that.
Well, not exactly uphill, but pretty close.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I keep my sewer hose stored at camp, and only pull it out when I need to use it. I don't really care to have it laying about when not it use. Rinse and store after dumping takes less than a minute, and you need to rinse every time you use it anyway, otherwise..........
Precisely my approach. It takes all of 5 minutes to hook it up, dump, and rinse it. And even for an extended stay, I doubt I would have to dump it more than once. Like you Jim, I don't care to have it attached when not in use.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill? We have never found a way to do that.
The support never lets it drop below the obstruction. See my comment on the curb. The curb we found was 8 inches high. The drain was on the other side. Without the support the slinky would have been on the ground and then have had to climb 8 inches before reaching the drain. The "stuff" never would have made it. So... We didn't change the uphill, we prevented it from happening.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The sites are Maryhill State Park in Washington (rally happening there next month) have sewer connections that are above ground level. I meant to take a picture the last time I was there, but basically the connection comes out of the ground at a 90 degree angle, the pipe isn't threaded and requires a rubber donut to seal. Anyway... without using some sort of support, you'd have to stand there and hold the dang hose while it drains... ick.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
On our recent trek south we encountered quite a few sites that did not have the drainage thing figured out. Some were as Donna described, with 90's coming out of the ground. Others just had the slope the wrong way. Bent over holding a hose is just wrong even if you come up with a cute name for it We used our shower a lot and we liked it: We needed to dump frequently. I bought an expanding Camco support but haven't used it yet.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the expanding Camco support and use it to keep the hose off the ground, out of the "muck" and when we attach to 90º connections (we only drain our tanks when full but keep the hose attached). Also, surprisingly, we have been in two RV parks (Olde Stone Village, Oregon, and another in Nevada) which required that hoses be on a rack or something similar.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
OK. So as an inexperienced newbie I still get to ask the dumb questions... When you're camped and have a sewer hookup, do you just set up the connection between your sewer hose and the sewer (probably using the wrong terminology!!) but have the black tank closed until you need it? Or do you only set up the connection when you want to drain? What's the benefit of keeping it all set up and having to walk over it when you will only need it every week or so?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
OK. So as an inexperienced newbie I still get to ask the dumb questions... When you're camped and have a sewer hookup, do you just set up the connection between your sewer hose and the sewer (probably using the wrong terminology!!) but have the black tank closed until you need it? Or do you only set up the connection when you want to drain? What's the benefit of keeping it all set up and having to walk over it when you will only need it every week or so?
We usually keep both tanks closed until its time to dump the black. Dump the black first and then the grey as a rinse. We need to dump every two days since we're not economical and love the shower. There are some on who don't use the toilet, or the shower, or the sink, or the stove.... or can do it with only 1.267 millilitres of water. If I've got got sewer, then I've got water, and if I have water, then I've got a hot shower. As far as walking over the hose, that side of the trailer is usually parked tight to the edge of the pad with the power and water connections dangling on that side. I don't spend more time than I have to on that side and if I'm going for a walk I go out through the door instead of the bath window Besides that's the side that the previous tenant spilled their sewage. Our water usage changes when we dry camp, but then we also don't have a sewer connection. From my point of view, if you have a sewer connection, then plug it in so you're not surprised by a sudden need to connect and empty the tanks (we're talking about the trailer here) in the middle of the night. At least if its connected, all you have to do is open the valve.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Don't leave your black tank valve open unless you're dumping. In fact, I like Jim's and other's approach to not bother with connecting the sewer hose UNLESS you're dumping. Nothing should be flowing in it anyway. We didn't bother to hook it up after we'd camped at about 4 or 5 places. We finally figured out that we could hook it up only to dump and leave it at that.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I think it's mostly personal preference ... and, perhaps, dependent on the weather. We've only had our trailer a little over a year, but there have been a few times in the beginning when we thought, "Nah, let's not hook up now." Then, at nightfall, we realized we were "at capacity" and needed to dump. It's much easier to run out and pull a lever as opposed to pulling out hoses, hooking them up, etc. ... especially on a rainy night.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I think it's mostly personal preference ... and, perhaps, dependent on the weather. We've only had our trailer a little over a year, but there have been a few times in the beginning when we thought, "Nah, let's not hook up now." Then, at nightfall, we realized we were "at capacity" and needed to dump. It's much easier to run out and pull a lever as opposed to pulling out hoses, hooking them up, etc. ... especially on a rainy night.
That's a good point. Being noobs we never let the tanks get full or even past half full before dumping on our first week or so out. I think on our next trip we'll just let it get fuller before dumping - after all, we had Horst probes installed so we might as well trust them.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm waiting for a full review of the Horst probes. Like, when the black is half full is it really half full? When it's full, is it really full or can you get another day out of the tank?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:26 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
No need for single shots, caterpillar walk works fine. If one was to sit in a site with FHU's for a couple weeks I can using such. Maybe once we start to snowbird. You are supposed to let the tanks fill up more or less before dumping, which for us is roughly once a week. Ones dump frequency is really a personal choice, as is the need for this gizmo.
We were 5.5 weeks in an RV park in TX Jan-Mar. There was a 3 foot or so 2x6 in our site when we arrived so I used some extra of our wood blocks and set up a sloped drain to the sewer and secured with a bungy. This worked well, emptying at first every 3 days or so but once the carpet in bath was wet because the grey tank filled up so I then dumped every two days, easy peasy just empty grey then black and back to the relaxing snowbird life,

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Whether you leave the sewer hose hooked up is a personal preference. I just see no need to do so. Keeping an eye on the monitor gives us a good days warning for when we need to dump, and we do so only once the tanks are well over half full. When leaving camp, if we are headed home we dump, but if headed to another campsite, and our tanks are well less than half full, we just head out and dump later.

I don't like leaving the sewer hose connected for a few reasons, It can add undue wear to the hose, from sunlight or accidental abuse. It looks butt ugly just laying there. And, it takes but a minute more to connect and store again.

I would bet that well over 75% of the time we dump at a campsite, we do so only once during our stay, so the time saved and convenience of leaving it set up is moot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm waiting for a full review of the Horst probes. Like, when the black is half full is it really half full? When it's full, is it really full or can you get another day out of the tank?
FWIW
I believe the Horst probes use the same holes and wires as the standard probes, levels it reports are the same as those of the standard ones. The only difference one would hope to get is you would not get the errors you get with the standard probes. I have found ETI's placement of the probes is better then that on my previous trailer, at least on the 5.0 TA.
I don't know how common errors are on the Escapes but on my previous I would intermittently see 2/3 full when in fact the tank was empty, or close to it. It's a very common thing on conventional trailers. I know a few folks who swapped to the Horst and over 4 or 5 years reported no errors.
I've not read an actual full review of them anywhere, how much can someone say, they either work or they don't.

If I recall correctly, we didn't see any problems till after a year or 2. I've read about reported ways to clean the probes, Dawn dish soap, Peroxide, etc... no idea if any really work.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #37

In six years I have yet to flush my tanks, and the sensors seem to be still working fine. I don't think I do anything different than others do either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In six years I have yet to flush my tanks, and the sensors seem to be still working fine. I don't think I do anything different than others do either.
Possibly you eat more bran than others on this forum, Jim?

I don't see a whole lot of value in "full hookups" for stays at a campground of less than about 3 days. For those durations, we rarely fill our black or grey tanks and would only need/want to dump as we leave the campground. We generally save the money on full hookups sites and use it for beer or something else. Downside is that all that beer tends to make the black tank fill faster. If we are staying at a site for more than about 3 days, it is nice to have the sewer connection so that you can dump without moving the trailer, but you are definitely paying a premium for a once every three days convenience. That being said, we have stayed at a number of campsites without full hookups where in the middle of our stay I will hook up the tow and make a short trip to the dump station and then come back to the site. A bit of a pain, but not that big of a deal.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #39

Good point, Dave. (not the bran one)

We too opt for no services if at all possible, if the stay is short. Our tanks and batteries last for 4 days, no problem. The only issue with dumping when leaving I have found, is sometimes there is a line up.

Beer gets disposed of in the trees, if at all possible.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
My $.02

More useful purchase is to upgrade the hose. We went with this for our 21.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OUMVWY/...XH624JEQ&psc=1

We also have a sidewinder, and have used it a few time when we have been at full hookup sites for longer duration or when i want to give the holding tank a really good flushing
Amazon.com: Camco 43041 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support: Automotive

a word on flushing...
Prior to our last trip i had installed a Camco 40126 Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser and was very please with the results. After doing a normal dump of a full holding/gery tanks I hooked up the Tornado to the water supply and let it run for several minuets to flush the holding tank ... no more hauling out the garden hose to flush the tank through the toilet makes me a very happy camper
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote