Lithium batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Lithium batteries

Tonight I went to a Batteries + Bulbs store to get a replacement battery for an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that I have. While I was there I asked about the current status of lithium batteries; I told him that I have a travel trailer and will need to replace its batteries at some point.

He replied that the lithiums weren't doing so well. He used to sell lithium motorcycle batteries but their failure rate was too high. In particular, if the batteries drained too low they would not recharge and were ruined. The store finally quit selling them. FYI.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Rats. I thought this might be the year of the Lithium battery for $1 USD per Amp-Hour.

Wishful thinking?

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Yeah, I'm also disappointed. This came up because the battery I pulled from the UPS had a cracked case. When I brought it into the store the man said not to worry-- those batteries were AGMs and wouldn't leak; he could still recycle it.

Then I told him about the trailer and asked if he sold AGMs for it. He said he either would have them in stock or could get them. That's when I asked about the lithiums.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Technomadia has been running Lithium batteries in their rig for a number of years now and reporting on them regularly. This is probably one of the top spots to get real world info on that Lithium Ion Batteries for RV Motorhome House System - LFP / LiFePO4 | Technomadia
Greg A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yeah, I'm also disappointed. This came up because the battery I pulled from the UPS had a cracked case. When I brought it into the store the man said not to worry-- those batteries were AGMs and wouldn't leak; he could still recycle it.

Then I told him about the trailer and asked if he sold AGMs for it. He said he either would have them in stock or could get them. That's when I asked about the lithiums.
I'm loving my 75 amp-hour AGM Sears (rebranded) 7 year old trolling battery. I give it a charge a few times a year and it hasn't let me down.

My two 100 amp-hour AGMs in the trailer should be just as good but they are only 2 years old. They are also "Sears" and I got them at a fantastic price, but Sears no longer sells them (or most anything else) these days. As best as I can determine they were made by Odyssey and buying them directly will cost an arm and two legs.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
well the 787s had some shaky starts that were caused by lithium batteries and galaxy note 7 too...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
well the 787s had some shaky starts that were caused by lithium batteries and galaxy note 7 too...
The lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) used by Technomadia are NOT chemically the same as the lithium ion batteries (LiCoO2) used in a cell phone, or the lithium ion batteries that experienced a thermal runaway in the 787 for that matter. They're perfectly safe when installed correctly, and there's even a case to be made that they pose less risk than a standard flooded cell deep cycle battery.

http://www.newcastlesys.com/blog/lit...iron-batteries
Old 12-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) used by Technomadia are NOT chemically the same as the lithium ion batteries (LiCoO2) used in a cell phone, or the lithium ion batteries that experienced a thermal runaway in the 787 for that matter. They're perfectly safe when installed correctly, and there's even a case to be made that they pose less risk than a standard flooded cell deep cycle battery.

Lithium Ion vs Lithium Iron Batteries
Robert: thank you for clarifying this. I didn’t think we were talking apples to apples and were unfairly condemning the lithium batteries one would use in an RV.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I'm loving my 75 amp-hour AGM Sears (rebranded) 7 year old trolling battery. I give it a charge a few times a year and it hasn't let me down.

My two 100 amp-hour AGMs in the trailer should be just as good but they are only 2 years old. They are also "Sears" and I got them at a fantastic price, but Sears no longer sells them (or most anything else) these days. As best as I can determine they were made by Odyssey and buying them directly will cost an arm and two legs.

--
Alan
Just as a point of reference, we have a cabin in Central Washington, where it can easily get above 100 degrees in the summer, and in the teens and lower during the winter. In June 2007 I installed a pair of Trojan 105 Ah AGM 12v batteries (connected in parallel), a 120w solar panel and a MorningStar ProStar charge controller. I limit the depth-of-discharge to 25%. The last time we visited the cabin (Sept. 2017) the batteries were fully charged and still going strong, a little over 10 years of service! Needless to say, I'm very happy with the setup, and have duplicated it in our 19' Escape, with the exception being a 160w solar panel.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Sounds like a durable setup Chuck. I'm curious though - wouldn't a pair of Trojan 6V AGMs give you a little better performance in the same space?

https://www.thesolarbiz.com/trojan-s...RoCSU8QAvD_BwE