Location of 6V batteries on 2017 19 foot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Location of 6V batteries on 2017 19 foot

Anyone know where dual 6's would be located? I have been very happy having them on the back bumper on my 17B, since they don't take up any interior space or increase my tongue weight, which is fine as it is. Is this an option on the new 19?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
Anyone know where dual 6's would be located? I have been very happy having them on the back bumper on my 17B, since they don't take up any interior space or increase my tongue weight, which is fine as it is. Is this an option on the new 19?
They are in the storage box, or without it on the tongue I believe. Some of this has to do with weight distribution too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The batteries have always on the back of a 17' for balance, because the trailer is relatively long in the front; they have always been in the front of the 19', which is differently proportioned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
Wow, batteries and propane up there? Seems like a lot of weight right there. But I can only assume ETI knows what they are doing. Right?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
But I can only assume ETI knows what they are doing. Right?
Right.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Wow, batteries and propane up there? Seems like a lot of weight right there.
Most travel trailers have both the propane and the batteries on the tongue. With dual batteries and dual propane tanks it can get quite heavy, which is a problem for some owners, because a tow vehicle which would otherwise be suitable may not be able to handle the high tongue weight. This is a common issue with the Casita 17, which is proportioned like the Escape 17' (long in front), but has the battery in front; the Escape 19 design isn't as front-biased as that Casita.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is a common issue with the Casita 17, which is proportioned like the Escape 17' (long in front), but has the battery in front; the Escape 19 design isn't as front-biased as that Casita.
The battery in a 17' Casita is in the back.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Escape manages the tongue weight on the 17 better than Casita with thoughtful design and execution. Based on pictures Escape appears to have the fridge partially over the axle similar to Casita 16. The Casita 17 has a larger fridge that is positioned in front of the axle. That combined with other layout differences and more weight forward of the axle results in the higher tongue weight. Always trade offs.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Interesting... and yet it's still too front-heavy. Thanks for the correction. That excessive tongue weight is one of the major reasons that I bought a Boler instead of the Casita.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Interesting... and yet it's still too front-heavy. Thanks for the correction. That excessive tongue weight is one of the major reasons that I bought a Boler instead of the Casita.
Way excessive tongue weight on the Casita. 100 lbs more than our 19 Escape.

Fridge, bath, closet, door, black water, 2 propane tanks, microwave are all in front of the axle. Ours weight was around 450 lbs.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
There is a picture in the Options section of 19' that shows the dual 6v batteries on the rear bumper. I just ordered a 19 and hope that is the location. I do not want the storage bin filled with batteries.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
They're in the bin, Bob.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
There is a picture in the Options section of 19' that shows the dual 6v batteries on the rear bumper. I just ordered a 19 and hope that is the location. I do not want the storage bin filled with batteries.
Back in 2013 when my 19' was produced, ETI still allowed placement of the batteries under the curb side front dinette seat. ETI will no longer do that due to concerns regarding load distribution in the trailer, and all 19's now have the batteries on the front of the trailer (in the storage box if you ordered one).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
Unfortunately, this image:

... is used in the Options list for every model, and is not specifically for the 19'. It appears to be a dual battery installation on a 17', which is the only model with batteries mounted outside at the rear.

Note that the URL (address) for the image includes "escapetrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dual_batteries.jpg"... it is not named or filed in a way specific to any model. Many manufacturers (such as some making hitches) show "typical" products on their websites; ideally there is a disclaimer explaining that the actual product appearance may vary dependent on your vehicle. Even Toyota showed (don't know if they do now) one hitch receiver image for several vehicle models using quite different hitches.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bob, even with the batteries in the storage box, we have plenty of room for other items like chocks, a patio mat, a bottle jack, levelers, etc. Having the batteries up high in the center of the box also makes them very easy to access, and hooking up any auxiliary equipment to the batteries is a snap-- like when I installed a power jack.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
And--- Like when I added an inverter, a surge protector, and a solar controller with a feed to a remote over the dinette.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Bob, even with the batteries in the storage box, we have plenty of room for other items like chocks, a patio mat, a bottle jack, levelers, etc. Having the batteries up high in the center of the box also makes them very easy to access, and hooking up any auxiliary equipment to the batteries is a snap-- like when I installed a power jack.
I agree, I don't view the batteries in the box as a negative.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If anything the batteries in the box makes them easier to access for maintenance as well as using them for high power accessories like tire inflators that require direct attachment to the battery terminals.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Same for me. Good place for the weight and there is enough space remaining in there for all the outside stuff that rbryan has mentioned. For those who are still wrestling with the low pressure/can't use inexpensive camp stove problem there is space for the wastefull 1 pound throwaway cylinders. UGH!!!
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Planning weight distribution in a travel trailer is really a challenge. So many considerations to work out with the floor plan, and available space to put things. Trailers tow best with central weight mass located close to the axle. So items like holding tanks are best placed there. Batteries are heavy, but also can produce fumes making installation near the center difficult. Space permitting you could design a vapor proof vented compartment to house them, but space is rare at the middle. The front storage box is not too bad a compromise. I would try to mount the batteries down between the front A frame as low as possible and still maintain adequate ground clearance. Cut the bottom of the storage locker out for the battery footprint, and make a cover of wood to protect the batteries from contact with storage items. The batteries may protrude into the locker 4" or so, or you could set them even lower with the bottoms of the batteries a few inches below the bottom of the trailer frame.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote