Low point drain - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As has been said, it was eliminated because with the new toilet valve, the low-point drain wouldn't remove all the water. One had to use compressed air or RV anti-freeze, so there is no point installing something that doesn't do a complete job.
Exactly. I think folks were expecting it to work perfectly, it didn't... caused problems and left ETI on the hook.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As Mel tried to say, there are other reasons to have a low-point drain. As we also just found, much water was left in the lines after draining the fresh tank which we then got out through the low-point drain.

The toilet valve problem has nothing to do with the low-point drain and everything to do with the absence of an instruction to pump anti-freeze through the lines. No need to eliminate a useful thing in that and other circumstances because the instructions were wrong.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Exactly. I think folks were expecting it to work perfectly, it didn't... caused problems and left ETI on the hook.
Hate to tell you but it doesn't 'work perfectly' ... and no process 'is fool' proof. All because of a toilet valve? Makes no sense.

Let's say a person cares about what is 'added' to their fresh water system? We do.

Do you use a food grade air compressor? Compressed air is compressed toxins with additional compressor debris. After blowing that crap through you pipes then rinse it with some 'safe' antifreeze.

With a low point drain and the fresh water tank valves you can quickly dump most of the water with 1 hand, anytime and anywhere. Then, if you think it will get cold enough, 'chase out' the little remaining water with air.

How much does a low point drain cost to install? Why not give people a 'clean' way to dump the water simply and quickly with 1 hand?

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #104
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hate to tell you but it doesn't 'work perfectly' ... and no process 'is fool' proof. All because of a toilet valve? Makes no sense.

Let's say a person cares about what is 'added' to their fresh water system? We do.

Do you use a food grade air compressor? Compressed air is compressed toxins with additional compressor debris. After blowing that crap through you pipes then rinse it with some 'safe' antifreeze.

With a low point drain and the fresh water tank valves you can quickly dump most of the water with 1 hand, anytime and anywhere. Then, if you think it will get cold enough, 'chase out' the little remaining water with air.

How much does a low point drain cost to install? Why not give people a 'clean' way to dump the water simply and quickly with 1 hand?

Mel
I don't think it's about cost or it would be an option you could choose to buy. Most likely a prior customer complaint that ETI doesn't want to deal with again. Just my opinion - I've dropped products for the same reason.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #105

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm still wondering if they are an option now.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #106

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
We never used the fresh tank for drinking. We do, however, use it for cleaning the dishes and flushing the toilet. That said, what would be wrong with bypassing the hot water tank, removing the plug, draining all tanks, before employing the low point drain. Then add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh tank and run every tap and toilet with the water pump until pink comes out. The fresh water tank does take some time to rinse out come camping season but it does rinse out. Add some pink to the P traps and you're done. The pink RV antifreeze is potable (or at least labeled as such) and has yet to leave any noticeable residue (at least to us) when used to clean dishes.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
We never used the fresh tank for drinking. We do, however, use it for cleaning the dishes and flushing the toilet. That said, what would be wrong with bypassing the hot water tank, removing the plug, draining all tanks, before employing the low point drain. Then add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh tank and run every tap and toilet with the water pump until pink comes out. The fresh water tank does take some time to rinse out come camping season but it does rinse out. Add some pink to the P traps and you're done. The pink RV antifreeze is potable (or at least labeled as such) and has yet to leave any noticeable residue (at least to us) when used to clean dishes.
The biggest problem with this, is that it is near impossible to totally empty the fresh water tank, and the antifreeze added would be diluted.

We do use our trailer water for cooking with too, and I do notice the taste of the RV antifreeze for a bit after cleaning it, as I did use it in the water lines of our last trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #108

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Thats why I like the kit that alows the pump to suck the antifreeze right out of the jug. just drain the fresh water tank, use the pump to push the antifreeze through the rest of the system with the hot water tank bypassed and drained and its done in a couple of minutes. I do find i have to rinse the lines through quite a bit in the spring.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #109

Thanks for your answer Jim. Come camping season we re-drain our fresh tank using the spigot at the bottom of the tank and a hose in the fresh water fill. It does take several cycles but seems to come clean (to us).
http://www.amazon.ca/Camco-40206-Tas.../dp/B000BQLQYM gets added if need be.

Works for us!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #110

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
Were you able to empty the pump feed line from the fresh water supply? That was the one issue I had, otherwise the E-Zwinterizing set up worked great.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #111

Quote:
Thanks for your answer Jim. Come camping season we re-drain our fresh tank using the spigot at the bottom of the tank and a hose in the fresh water fill. It does take several cycles but seems to come clean (to us).
http://www.amazon.ca/Camco-40206-Tas.../dp/B000BQLQYM gets added if need be.

Works for us!
I also like the idea that it allows the pink to get into the pump, the toilet and the entire system.
But, I repeat, we don't drink water from our trailer. We drink bottled water, or store bought refreshments.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #112

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
This is nearly exactly what I do, except my final step is using the low point drain to drain out as much antifreeze as possible. I figure it has done its job of pushing the water out of the system by then. And as I have said in other threads, by the time the system is properly sanitized with bleach solution in the spring, neither of us can taste even a hint of the antifreeze. After a proper sanitation /rinse cycle any remaining antifreeze would have to have been diluted to a few parts per million.

I reiterate my contention that not sanitizing your water system every year is far more dangerous than a few PPM of RV antifreeze. We drink water from our freshwater tank. We always use a good quality RV water filter on anything that ever goes into the tank and a portable PUR filter/container for drinking water.

In between trips I use a solution of peroxide based homebrew sanitizer to help prevent any nasties from getting established in the tank and lines. (Being peroxide based it does not need rinsing)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #113

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If camping in cold weather and it will be below freezing, cannot just empty lines some nights, leaving fresh water tank alone when it will not freeze, if there is no low-point drain. Someone might want to do that. Then use lines again in the day.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #114

Once trailer is winterised and a trip comes up, go camping!

Expensive as it may be, bring drinks in the trailer and flush toilet by adding RV pink to the bowl.
Warm water on stove, sponge bathe, and discard water outside.
Brush teeth outside.

enjoy!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #115

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Warm water on stove, sponge bathe, and discard water outside.
Brush teeth outside.
This is what we do most of the time during summer months, with the exception the hot water comes from the tap if the heater is on).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #116

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most national parks in the US do not allow gray water, nor any water dumping, particularly in bear country. Have to use your on board systems.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most national parks in the US do not allow gray water, nor any water dumping, particularly in bear country. Have to use your on board systems.
Good to know but I doubt a couple cups of water is what they are talking about.
National Parks in the USA are now advising people to not take "selfies" with bears either. It's comforting to know the National Parks are looking after our best interests.

Lake Tahoe officials warn tourists to stop taking selfies with bears | Californi
Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #118

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
National Parks in the USA are now advising people to not take "selfies" with bears either.
My father used to say "God has many ways of getting rid of fools"!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #119
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Good to know but I doubt a couple cups of water is what they are talking about.
That's true, but a couple of cups added to a couple of cups added to a couple of cups... over an entire summer can become a problem. It's different when folks are truly dispersed. But that usually doesn't happen when everyone wants to get the best campsite at a national park.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's true, but a couple of cups added to a couple of cups added to a couple of cups... over an entire summer can become a problem. It's different when folks are truly dispersed. But that usually doesn't happen when everyone wants to get the best campsite at a national park.
Donna D, The post I made referred to winter camping. Campsites, for the most part, in winter, are rather dispersed.