Low Pressure Quick Connect Appliances - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
As a long time Weber Q100 user (current available model is Q1000) I looked into the Napoleon and I came up with two downsides to it, one factual, one personal opinion. Fact: It has a larger footprint than the Weber and will not fit in the 5.0TA’s storage compartment.
True. It's large enough to cook a roast or a whole chicken on indirect. So, mine rides on a carpet runner in the aisle of my 17B. But, that's also where the Weber and the Dickinson were transported, so I'm ahead of the game.
I couldn't get the Weber hot enough for searing and I couldn't get the Dickinson off "cremate", even at the lowest setting, and even after they sent me a new regulator.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
so the Weber will fit in the front storage area? i had not tried yet.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My Dickinson with the legs shortened fits too. I would think most portable grills will fit in there. Height is the biggest factor getting it through the hatch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We converted the Weber Q and camp chef fire pit immediately on getting the QC option on the Escape. Added a camp chef Ranger II and a roll up outdoor table. Best, most capable outdoor cook station ever had and very quickly unplug the kitchen and plug in the fire pit for nighttime entertainment.
Basically copied Greg A's setup, and it is freakin' brilliant.

especially the camp chef Ranger II is awesome.

and the QC

and the table.

Highly recommended.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
That portable fire pit that ETI sells (Port-A-Fire) can also be used on a quick connect if you attach a hose to its 3/8 SAE connection. The really nice thing about the Port-A-Fire is that it fits into the front storage box! We brace ours with 2 of the REI blue camp chairs which holds it perfectly in place. I filled ours with black fire glass instead of the lava rocks that came with it.

Port-A-Fire also sells a 20' hose with a 3/8" SAE on one side and 1/4 Quick connect on the other. They don't seem to have a website listed for this, but they can mail one upon request over the phone. I think ETI should consider carrying the 20' hose because it cost a lot to have mine shipped to the USA.

I think this stove also can work on the quick connect. I haven't seen it personally, but I was interested in it because it's lighter weight than the Camp Chef one. I saw some people complain that it's cheaper construction though:
Koblenz PFK-200 Lucero 2-Burner Gas Stove

https://www.amazon.com/KOBLENZ-PFK-2...oblenz+PFK-200

Koblenz México

We have a QC connection on our trailer, but I haven't used it yet since we haven't camped in a fire ban yet. I plan to use the fire pit on it since that's a high consumption appliance. For a fire pit, I think a 20' hose is very nice because you want to have room all around the fire pit, and also have placement options.

We use a Coleman stove that takes 1lb bottles because sometimes the picnic table is farther than a hose would reach, and because a stove is a relatively low consumption appliance compared to a fire pit or BBQ and because the Coleman fits perfectly into the cabinet in our 17 under the furnace and because it's lighter and less bulky than the QC alternatives. There are connectors which would allow you to refill a 1lb bottle from a 20lb propane bottle.

We also have a connection that allows us to plug one of the 1lb bottles into the trailer propane system, just in case we run out of fuel in the 20lb bottles. It's something we'll probably never use, but it's small and easily put into a corner.

We don't have a grill. Maybe someday we'll get one with legs or use a small auxiliary roll/fold up table and use the QC for that too. The legs or table would allow us to keep it near the QC connection.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Fits with plenty of room left over. I store my Ft Knox lock in here for travel also.
Attached Thumbnails
8E07EAE5-3AC4-4488-A2FE-3FF70961224C.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Distance

I am in no way poo pooing the use of the quick connect. We have one and we use it on occasion. We also have the 11 lb propane cylinder in the front box of the 21 which we use often when we want to be 25 plus feet from the camper to cook or have a fire. We haul our Weber Q 120 in the Highlander in a nice clear snap lid tub we got at the container store. It holds the 120, the hose, BBQ tools, spare drip pans, etc. and allows no odor in the tow vehicle. We used to haul a couple 1 cylinders in the tub too but used the last of them and so don't have any one pounders now.
Carry a roll of PTFE tape to seal the regulator when you swap in off of and back on to your device.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
1st Solaire Test - Non meat eaters don't look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those look very nice, and if I was looking would get good consideration. They look great for grilling, but have to wonder how are they for baking or roasting in?

Get out there and get some good use with us, then let us know your thoughts.
Jim cooked first Rib-Eye tonight, this thing puts out some heat for sure, with time I will get it dialed in. The Steak turned out not burned, but with charcoal stripes outside and medium rare on the inside, the flash washed out some of the red in the last picture. Really like it thus far and the steak tasted great!
Attached Thumbnails
1 DSC_1880.jpg   2 DSC_1881.jpg   3 DSC_1882.jpg   4 DSC_1883.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I use a Wave 3 heater by Olympian with my QC connection. The Wave 3 is a catalytic heater. Is uses far less propane than the built in furnace, no electrical connection and is silent. I am currently running the propane hose right vertical up the 21 side, into the bathroom window (have to partially remove the screen). Then the hose runs out into the living area. The original hose supplied by ETI is about 12’. For my use, that was too short, so I had a 20 ft hose made.

My longer term plan is to run the hose from the QC, under the trailer and enter into the trailer on the passenger side, under bench compartment. The hose will then come out the front of the bench and the heater can sit in the aisle anywhere between the dinette and the end of the bed.
Even if you change the way your propane hose is routed to the Wave 3 I would still leave a window open slightly. As I'm sure you know the catalytic heaters are using inside air for combustion and they produce heat, water vapor and carbon dioxide. In reality with imperfect combustion there is likely small amounts of carbon monoxide too. These trailers are very tight which some owners probably know from running the MaxxFan on high with everything closed and then trying to open the door.

Quote:
For circulation, can use a very quiet fan. Plus, I still use the factory furnace. It does work great and is, what, 15,000BTU? The Wave 3 is only 3000 BTU, so not enough in cold climates.
The factory Atwood furnaces are 12,000 BTUH input and 9,120 BTUH output. That makes it only 76% efficient, but it is also nice (and safer) that it takes it's combustion air from outside and exhausts all the byproducts.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Jim cooked first Rib-Eye tonight, this thing puts out some heat for sure, with time I will get it dialed in. The Steak turned out not burned, but with charcoal stripes outside and medium rare on the inside, the flash washed out some of the red in the last picture. Really like it thus far and the steak tasted great!
Good to see it get some colour to those grates. Man, my grill is pretty bad, reminds me I have to give it a good cleaning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Jim, that's just "flavor" enhancers!
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #32

Quote:
I am in search of some form of “port” for the trailer side to run the propane hose through. Using a typical power cord port cover would work, but it is much larger than needed. And I don’t wish to add more plastic ports. So, I’d prefer a chrome or painted metal port, in the approx. 1 inch diameter size. Anyone wish ideas on that?
It's not metal and not specifically designed for the purpose you describe but it is high quality and should work as a pass-thru. Seller on Amazon states 1-7/8" hole for install so should be a little larger than your 1" clear you are looking for.

Connect Charge, Frnt/Rear Mount with PVC Cover | Marinco
Old 03-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Thanks for the tip/lead.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am currently running the propane hose right vertical up the 21 side, into the bathroom window (have to partially remove the screen). Then the hose runs out into the living area.
My longer term plan is to run the hose from the QC, under the trailer and enter into the trailer on the passenger side, under bench compartment. The hose will then come out the front of the bench and the heater can sit in the aisle anywhere between the dinette and the end of the bed.

I am in search of some form of “port” for the trailer side to run the propane hose through...
That seems like a lot of hose and an unsealed opening in the trailer wall to bring low-pressure propane from an outside port to the inside, where all the rest of the low-pressure propane appliances are already located. Why not just add another branch of the plumbing under the trailer, ending at a quick-connect port in the interior? It probably doesn't meet the CSA RV code, but a hose stuck through a port in the wall likely won't, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That seems like a lot of hose and an unsealed opening in the trailer wall to bring low-pressure propane from an outside port to the inside, where all the rest of the low-pressure propane appliances are already located. Why not just add another branch of the plumbing under the trailer, ending at a quick-connect port in the interior? It probably doesn't meet the CSA RV code, but a hose stuck through a port in the wall likely won't, either.
Brian he explains his rationale in post #19
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post239982
Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
I'd prefer not to have a quick connect or a valve inside the trailer space. There is probably a reason they wouldn't meet code. I prefer only threaded/tightened connections inside. My way, if the valve or quick connect leaks, it is still outside. Only flare fittings or crimped hose ends inside. And wouldn't travel this way. I would only deploy the Wave 3 once set up for camp and run the hose at that time.

And yes, I know to vent in outside air (responding to another). I was thinking in addition to the hose pass through port, to have an air port (same as the battery vent fitting ETI uses?), with a vent fitting on the front of the bench seating. Could even put a tiny fan to make sure a bit of air is coming in. And this way, the cold, outside air is coming in at the far end, near the bench, passing the Wave 3 heater in the aisle, before the warmed air reaches the bed area.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #37

Quote:
And yes, I know to vent in outside air (responding to another). I was thinking in addition to the hose pass through port, to have an air port (same as the battery vent fitting ETI uses?), with a vent fitting on the front of the bench seating. Could even put a tiny fan to make sure a bit of air is coming in. And this way, the cold, outside air is coming in at the far end, near the bench, passing the Wave 3 heater in the aisle, before the warmed air reaches the bed area.
Or maybe consider a vented catalytic heater? I'm not criticizing your choice, just food for thought.

Product
Old 03-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Or maybe consider a vented catalytic heater? I'm not criticizing your choice, just food for thought.

Product
That thing isn't so much vented, as a heater with a hole in the wall near the burner. There's no fresh air intake, and no separation of combustion products from the trailer's interior. I suppose it's better than a hole in the wall further from the burner.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Brian he explains his rationale in post #19
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post239982
Quote:
I'd prefer not to have a quick connect or a valve inside the trailer space.
Sorry, I missed that.

The hose will be left permanently connected to the heater - that seems awkward to me, but some people set up their cooking appliances this way, too.

Personally, if I were worried about a connection within the trailer, I wouldn't run an unvented heater inside, but everyone has their own tolerance for different risks.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #40

Quote:
That thing isn't so much vented, as a heater with a hole in the wall near the burner. There's no fresh air intake, and no separation of combustion products from the trailer's interior. I suppose it's better than a hole in the wall further from the burner.
Brian: I was simply going off the description on their site that says:
“Safety System:........................Power exhaust venting removes 100% of combustion by-products. Automatic Safety Shut-off in case of malfunction. No open windows are required. Operates safely at altitudes above 5000 ft.”

I didn’t study how it’s actually built and if these claims are true.