Low Pressure Quick Connect Appliances - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Low Pressure Quick Connect Appliances

I have had lots of discussion with folks lately regarding what works with the Low Pressure Quick Connect (LPQC) if selected as an option from Escape, so I thought I would create a thread to discuss how it works, what appliances work with it, and how to set them up.

I personally love using this setup, and have since picking up my 2009 Escape 19. It is real quick to set up. Instead of having to use the small green bottles, a separate larger bottle, or connecting it to the trailer bottles, you instead have a hose (or more if you like). Some worry the hose is a tripping hazard, but I have never once had an issue with that, and I do try to run it out of the way, under the trailer or patio mat if I can, but more for looks than anything.

While I realize that using the LPQC is not for everyone, as you certainly can get by without it, I just ask that this discussion be kept to discussing this setup, and give folks ideas they can use, and to better understand how it works.

Firstly, any appliance using the LPQC must not have a regulator of it's own inline with the gas from the QC. The propane at this connection is after the trailer regulator, and is at approximately 11" water column pressure. All the propane appliances in your trailer are built to operate at this pressure. This means that almost any appliance sold for portable use cannot be connected straight out of the box to this connection.

Most appliances designed for outdoor use are also designed to use a pressure of 11" WC. One exception is most Coleman stoves. There are quite a few options out there that can be easily adapted to use the LPQC.

I use the following appliances with my LPQC;

Dickinson Spitfire 180 Barbeque. I have been using this grill for over 5 years now, and it has seen a ton of use, including whole chicken, smokies, mac & cheese, steaks, fish and cakes. I do use a stone in it for baking and fish. The quality of the build is great. You have to order a Low Pressure Control Valve and remove the regular for us with the LPQC. I see Dickinson has lowered the price online, but contacting them for a quote, or looking for the unit at resellers will find you a much better price.

Camp Chef Ranger II 2-Burner Stove. I have been using this stove for near two years now. The cast burners combined with great control make it a pleasure to use. The burners have an inside ring of ports which make it heat real evenly across the entire surface of the pan, and the controls let you take it down to a low, low simmer, something the Coleman stoves are notorious for not doing. At first I was skeptical of having no wind screen, but the design of the stove allows it to work fine even with fairly strong winds, though I imagine that there could be some losses of heat above the stove. To convert it to LP is real easy, just remove the hose and regulator, then connect to the 3/8" flare connection to a male QC fitting. I used a 3/8" flare 90 to direct the supply straight back instead of to the side.

Outland Firebowl Deluxe. Coming for an "it's got to be wood or it ain't a real campfire" background, I more recently discovered that there are lots of places that do not allow campfires and even places that do have had fire bans in place. I saw that these things, though nowhere near the real thing, still provide a great focal point for a group and also throw off a bit of heat. This unit, like the Camp Chef stove, is real easy to covert to LP. You just remove the regulator and hose, and connect to the units 3/8" flare fitting.

I have ordered hoses and pigtails for Tejas Smokers. While they seem expensive, I found it tough to beat anywhere else, and the pigtails make for a great flexible connection at the appliance. In addition to the line supplied by Escape I ordered another 6' and 12' hose to give me great flexibility in setup.
https://tejassmokers.com/LP-Quick-Disconnect-Hose/35

I also bought this splitter from Propane Gear so I could use two appliances at a time. You can get fittings yourself and using a tee make up your own splitter, but I found it cost even more in the parts alone.
Propane Quick Connect Y Adapter - RV Fitting - propanegear

I recently helped a friend convert his Napolean TravelQ 285 Grill to use the LPQC on his motorhome. This is a nice grill too, with a dual burner if you would like to cook indirect. I had to remove the flexible hose connection from the regulator on it, which has a 1/4" flare connection, then adapt that to male QC fitting. He used a heavy duty cable tie to hold this connection tight to the grill and aimed straight back. It works great.

I would encourage others to post the solutions they have come up with, and for anyone with questions on the setup of appliances using the LPQC to fire away with responses.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use mine with the Weber Q modified for low pressure. I leave the grill 9n a small table just under the loft of the 5.0TA and move it to the tailgate of the truck for use. It stays connected to the trailer unless I want to use the fire ring.

The fire rings do sucks a lot of gas but are very convenient. More ambience from the real thing though.

I also bought my parts from Tejas.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
2nd's on the Weber Q. Took the regulator off and added quick connect. Best portable grill I've ever had.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quick Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
2nd's on the Weber Q. Took the regulator off and added quick connect. Best portable grill I've ever had.
Not to go off topic,but a quick question......does the Weber Q allow for for indirect cooking, or is the entire grilling surface over direct heat?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Weber only has one burner.
You can't cook indirect.
I retired mine and bought the Napoleon 285 'portable'. It has two burners and can cook a whole chicken or a roast indirect. Also good for low and slow BBQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg   chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Weber only has one burner.
You can't cook indirect.
I retired mine and bought the Napoleon 285 'portable'. It has two burners and can cook a whole chicken or a roast indirect. Also good for low and slow BBQ.
Excellent, Glenn! Thank-You!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Not to go off topic,but a quick question......does the Weber Q allow for for indirect cooking, or is the entire grilling surface over direct heat?
There is a good solution for grills without indirect cooking, which is almost all of the portable ones, and that is to use a baking stone. Doing that I have baked a bunch of stuff. It is also nice for a slab of fish like salmon that needs a slow even heat for best results. You can buy these stones in lots of kitchen supply stores, but I was using a piece of marble cut to size. I had taken it out of the trailer a while ago, and we did not have it while on our last trip. For one salmon back, I just found a couple flat(ish) rocks and used them, then when in Home Depot I bought a 9 pack of 4x4" travertine tiles. This is a great solution. 6 of them will do most things, and I think I will cut the other 3 in half to eke out a bit more area if needed. They also work great in our oven.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-...-100178748-_-N
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Jim, what connection/size comes on the factory hose from ETI? (BBQ side). I have a portachef from Broil King and was going to goto BBQ’s Galore in Calgary this weekend to get the right fittings.
Thanks,
Sheldon
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
... what connection/size comes on the factory hose from ETI? (BBQ side).
3/8" SAE flare female
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Solaire

I choose the Solaire Anywhere infrared and purchased the adapter hose to replace the regulator that came with and ability to plug into trailer gas connection. Really looking forward to testing it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Solaire_Go_Anywhere_Grill_DSC_1879.jpg   SOL-SALPC Low Pressure Conversion Kit.JPG  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
As a long time Weber Q100 user (current available model is Q1000) I looked into the Napoleon and I came up with two downsides to it, one factual, one personal opinion. Fact: It has a larger footprint than the Weber and will not fit in the 5.0TA’s storage compartment. Nor will it fit into a large tote unless the tote is one of the extremely long ones that would probably fit the Napoleon as well as the kitchen sink. Since I transport mine with all the hoses in a tote in the back seat the Napoleon would have been “inconvenient” for my use. Personal Opinion: Some Napoleon parts are stamped steel (Weber is thicker cast aluminum). The Napoleon seemed like it would be more susceptible to denting; I would describe it as “tinny.” Obviously, that would not be a concern to some here as much as size might be. But I would concur with Jim. If I wanted indirect heat, I would use a stone on the Weber. I have also slow cooked on the Weber by putting it on low and propping the lid open a bit.
Anyway, just MY comparison observations. We all have our own preferences when choosing a grill.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Dual Fuel Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I thought I would create a thread to discuss how it works, what appliances work with it, and how to set them up.
Thanks for setting up this thread Jim, I've ordered QC option for items like the Camp Chef 2 burner stove and I also plan to try it with my dual fuel generator (Champion 3400 watt). I'll be sure to try it out and update the thread some time after taking delivery of my new 21' on May 23rd.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I use mine with the Weber Q modified for low pressure. I leave the grill 9n a small table just under the loft of the 5.0TA and move it to the tailgate of the truck for use. It stays connected to the trailer unless I want to use the fire ring.

The fire rings do sucks a lot of gas but are very convenient. More ambience from the real thing though.

I also bought my parts from Tejas.

We like the Weber also, that it easily fits in the front storage compartment yet is big enough to cook a small chicken was a factor in choosing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Have used both the Dickinson Spitfire grill and the Outland fire bowl for 3 or 4 or 5 yrs. The initial performance of the Dickinson grill was poor, as mine would not generate much heat and thus was difficult to cook on. After struggling with it for nearly 2 years, I had Dickinson provide a new larger orifice, and that solved my heat issues. Am now a much happier camper. The fire bowl gets occasional use, and is particularly nice when there is a fire ban, or when I don't want to sit out late waiting for a fire to burn down enough to go to bed. Both the fire bowl and the Spitfire grill get connected to the quick connect on my Escape and I find it to be a very well used accessory.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We converted the Weber Q and camp chef fire pit immediately on getting the QC option on the Escape. Added a camp chef Ranger II and a roll up outdoor table. Best, most capable outdoor cook station ever had and very quickly unplug the kitchen and plug in the fire pit for nighttime entertainment.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I use a Wave 3 heater by Olympian with my QC connection. The Wave 3 is a catalytic heater. Is uses far less propane than the built in furnace, no electrical connection and is silent. I am currently running the propane hose right vertical up the 21 side, into the bathroom window (have to partially remove the screen). Then the hose runs out into the living area. The original hose supplied by ETI is about 12’. For my use, that was too short, so I had a 20 ft hose made.

My longer term plan is to run the hose from the QC, under the trailer and enter into the trailer on the passenger side, under bench compartment. The hose will then come out the front of the bench and the heater can sit in the aisle anywhere between the dinette and the end of the bed.

I am in search of some form of “port” for the trailer side to run the propane hose through. Using a typical power cord port cover would work, but it is much larger than needed. And I don’t wish to add more plastic ports. So, I’d prefer a chrome or painted metal port, in the approx. 1 inch diameter size. Anyone wish ideas on that?

I store the Wave 3 and its hose in the under bed storage. And in the warm summer months, just not bring it.

I also have a fire bowl, am researching better grills and would use both with the QC.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
My longer term plan is to run the hose from the QC, under the trailer and enter into the trailer on the passenger side, under bench compartment. The hose will then come out the front of the bench and the heater can sit in the aisle anywhere between the dinette and the end of the bed.
Why not just install a separate QC somewhere inside for this use?

I like the forced air with the furnace myself, as it circulates the heat good.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I choose the Solaire Anywhere infrared and purchased the adapter hose to replace the regulator that came with and ability to plug into trailer gas connection. Really looking forward to testing it out.
Those look very nice, and if I was looking would get good consideration. They look great for grilling, but have to wonder how are they for baking or roasting in?

Get out there and get some good use with us, then let us know your thoughts.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why not just install a separate QC somewhere inside for this use?

I like the forced air with the furnace myself, as it circulates the heat good.

I like the notion that any temporary/QC propane connections are outdoors. Only permanent, tightened connections indoors. And less connections overall, the better, less things that can fail/need attention. I actually would prefer the ETI QC to have been nearer the rear, rather than the front, but they did not offer alternate locations and discussion on the forum here hinted that ETI would encounter certification difficulties with moving propane connections around.

Plus, when I do install a port for propane hose use, that port can serve double duty like running an extension cord or phone line or who knows what. You never know what you’ll use it for. Hmm, I believe I have a 120v outdoor outlet, so nix that. But I did meet a camp host once who had a land line for his use and he had to run that out some hole he had, so that is a valid use case.

For circulation, can use a very quiet fan. Plus, I still use the factory furnace. It does work great and is, what, 15,000BTU? The Wave 3 is only 3000 BTU, so not enough in cold climates. And when just overnighting somewhere, not worth the hassle to hook up the Wave 3. The Wave 3 gives me a lower output, low consumption heat source option for boondocking in chilly climates or shoulder seasons.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I like the notion that any temporary/QC propane connections are outdoors. Only permanent, tightened connections indoors. And less connections overall, the better, less things that can fail/need attention. I actually would prefer the ETI QC to have been nearer the rear, rather than the front, but they did not offer alternate locations and discussion on the forum here hinted that ETI would encounter certification difficulties with moving propane connections around.
The QC would not be any more prone to leaking that any valve on other propane appliances. I believe they are even approved for installation inside, as long as there is no other connection inside in the line the feed in on. You are using the connection inside when the heater is in use anyway. Just a thought is all.

Not preferring the location that Escape uses, I chose to install my own in a nice hatch.