Marker/Clearance light lenses - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Marker/Clearance light lenses

Just got back from a couple of 100° days (whew!) camping at Lake Cachuma with our 2015 Escape. During my walk-around prior to rolling out, I noticed a broken marker light lens. When I touched it, the plastic broke into more pieces. Upon inspection at home, I found that all of them have cracks, so I did some on-line research and found that They are KII / Kaper brand. I found replacement lenses in amber and red at bendtrailers.com (in Oregon) for $1.41 each. Can't beat the price so I'll replace them all.

Red: L14-0120R
Amber: L14-0120A
Oh, by the way, I was still legal towing w/out the lens, because the LED's are the same color as the plastic lens.

Checked the upper and lower brake/tail light assemblies, and all are in good shape.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks for the report- checked mine and all ok. Another bad batch @ ETI?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Plastic lens sun damage on the exterior of a 4 year old unit is certainly not a defect, particularly in a southern state location. I always have a spare and I'm not subject to the same sun damage.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Something else I always do with these clearance lights is drill a small hole to allow condensation to escape, Moisture inside is the problem I have experienced.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Plastic lens sun damage on the exterior of a 4 year old unit is certainly not a defect, particularly in a southern state location. I always have a spare and I'm not subject to the same sun damage.

I agree; it's not a product defect. We camp in, and travel through, California and Arizona Mountain and Desert areas with lots of sun, and heat in excess of 100°. We also are frequently at 8,000-10,000 foot elevations, so mean ol' Mr. Sun and the accompanying extra UV radiation gets to do its thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Something else I always do with these clearance lights is drill a small hole to allow condensation to escape, Moisture inside is the problem I have experienced.

I just examined the housing with the broken lens. It is difficult for water to enter the top and sides due to the ridge or lip on the base casting, but there is a tiny amount of water/mud residue at the bottom. There's no evidence of any dirt or moisture deterioration at, or any where near, the LED's, resistor, or protection diode.

I have holes or openings at the porch and other exterior light assemblies, to let water/condensation out.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote