Marshall Excelsior propane regulator changeover valve troubleshooting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Marshall Excelsior propane regulator changeover valve troubleshooting

Our 2018 19' Escape has two propane tanks with changeover valve that is supposed to switch from green to red when primary tank is empty and regulator switches to reserve tank. (As you all know) the red signals owner to switch black lever to point to reserve tank which causes indicator to go green indicating previous reserve tank has become primary.

Ours is stuck on green, so I receive no visual signal when primary tank is empty. Once both are empty the furnace stops and/or the cooking flame dies and I take both tanks to get filled.

I am not surprised because in my previous two trailers the red-green indicators did not work; and the propane tech who fills my tanks says changeover indicators generally do not work.

Should I just forget about the red-green indicator and use a manual way of estimating when first tank is empty? Or try to fix it? Or.....?

Any advice welcome!

(Elisabeth's husband John)
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
You're still under warranty. Call ETI and they will send you a new regulator. It's very easy to swap the regulator.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
It's very easy to swap the regulator.
That's true. I'm on the third regulator in four years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But, I don't think it's the regulator that's a problem. It's the automatic changeover mechanism.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
But, I don't think it's the regulator that's a problem. It's the automatic changeover mechanism.
I agree, but since the automatic changeover mechanism is part of the regulator assembly, the distinction doesn't matter. You discard the non-working thing and replace it with a working (for now) thing. When you buy the new thing, it will be called a "regulator".
Marshall MEGR-253 2 Stage Excela-Flo Auto Change Over Regulator
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #6

I thought they were separate, but they're not. No wonder it cost so much to have it replaced when the fridge was serviced.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Very timely post and thread …

My propane regulator has started to whine when I have both the furnace and something else operating. It can be pretty loud on the outside of my trailer. I figured that my regulator was failing (doesn't make a sound with one appliance operating). I ordered a new regulator from Amazon
($43.90 US) and it came pretty quick - happy about that. The model I ordered was the MEGR253H from Marshal Excell … this seems to be the model that several from this forum have preferred.

When I opened the box I found the regulator without protective packaging and all ports open without 'plugs' to protect from getting foreign debris inside the regulator. My package was poorly packed and its obvious that the regulator had beat up the inside of the box during shipment - I found about a teaspoon of very fine cardboard "dust" inside the shipping box. I'm concerned that potentially some of this 'dust' could have made it inside my regulator and upon hooking it up this 'dust' could make it to my appliance orifices and plug them up. I guess my plan is to return to Amazon and buy one off the shelf at some store …. hopefully, it will come in a blister pack to keep it clean.

Any thoughts? I do have an air compressor that I could use to blow it out but …. not sure. I am thinking about running my trailer from Western Washington to Juneau by road in March. Potentially a very cold trip up through interior BC, Canada and if I do that trip …. likely will appreciate some heat. Still thinking about that one.

Looking for comments on two things 1) what to do about the regulator 2) Am I off my nut thinking about a run North at that time of year? 1600 miles or so ...
Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

My propane regulator has started to whine when I have both the furnace and something else operating. It can be pretty loud on the outside of my trailer. I figured that my regulator was failing (doesn't make a sound with one appliance operating). I ordered a new regulator from Amazon
($53 US plus change) and it came pretty quick - happy about that. The model I ordered was the MEGR253H from Marshal Excell … this seems to be the model that several from this forum have preferred.

When I opened the box I found the regulator without protective packaging and all ports open without 'plugs' to protect from getting foreign debris inside the regulator. My package was poorly packed and its obvious that the regulator had beat up the inside of the box during shipment - I found about a teaspoon of very fine cardboard "dust" inside the shipping box. I'm concerned that potentially some of this 'dust' could have made it inside my regulator and upon hooking it up this 'dust' could make it to my appliance orifices and plug them up. I guess my plan is to return to Amazon and buy one off the shelf at some store …. hopefully, it will come in a blister pack to keep it clean.

Any thoughts? I do have an air compressor that I could use to blow it out but …. not sure. I am thinking about running my trailer from Western Washington to Juneau by road in March. Potentially a very cold trip up through interior BC, Canada and if I do that trip …. likely will appreciate some heat. Still thinking about that one.

Looking for comments on two things 1) what to do about the regulator 2) Am I off my nut thinking about a run North at that time of year? 1600 miles or so ...
I would return it . I have had to do that too. You shouldn't of received the regulator in that condition . We replaced our regulator with Amazon and it should be packaged . They will send you another and sometimes that works . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Thanks Pat … that is my intention.
Tom
Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Pat … that is my intention.
Tom
Tom they will give you a shipping label and pay for shipping . Hit return and reason in your order on Amazon . Hopefully if you get a replacement it is what you are paying for . Pat
Old 01-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My replacement has been working fine. Costco sells 20 pound tanks that each have their own capacity gauge. A nice hedge.
Attached Thumbnails
PropaneReg.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

($43.90 US) and it came pretty quick - happy about that. The model I ordered was the MEGR253H from Marshal Excell … this seems to be the model that several from this forum have preferred.

It sounds like you received a return. I would send it back and let Amazon pass it on to someone else. I try to only buy "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" - third party vendors on Amazon are bad about recycling returns.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It sounds like you received a return. I would send it back and let Amazon pass it on to someone else. I try to only buy "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" - third party vendors on Amazon are bad about recycling returns.
Was the first thought I had too but didn't understand about the third party selling on Amazon . Learned something today . Have also had problems with items not manufacturer packaged and looking pristine . In fact some items I gave them 2 chances to make right and didn't improve . Ending up not using Amazon for those products and ordering from different vendors on my own . Those expensive items came from different vendors manufacturer packaged and protected well for shipping . Not much more in price and felt a lot better considering they were electronics and pricey . My replacement regulator from Amazon , I didn't have a problem with . So.......Pat
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19'
Getting back to my original question: has anyone found, or created, a method for determining how much propane remains in a tank?
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #15

You weigh the tank. I use a luggage scale. Subtract the "tare" weight ( which is stamped on the tank ) to get the weight of the propane.

Don't buy this useless gauge ( purchased at Costco ). My buddy and I tried these for BBQ tanks and found they messed up the flow.
Attached Thumbnails
propane gas gauge.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I bought the tank. This works for me...
Attached Thumbnails
propaneGauge.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
You weigh the tank. I use a luggage scale. Subtract the "tare" weight ( which is stamped on the tank ) to get the weight of the propane.

Don't buy this useless gauge ( purchased at Costco ). My buddy and I tried these for BBQ tanks and found they messed up the flow.
Also found that to be true . You are correct Sir ! Pat
You could pour very hot water down the side of the tank , it will give you a little indication if you can't weigh it . The temp differences on the tank ,no propane vs, propane will give you a idea . Pat
Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
For those not familiar with these things (which are sold just about anywhere that has propane accessories)...
Since this is a pressure gauge, it does not provide any level indication; it only tells you that you're about to run out when the pressure drops due to extreme chilling of a small remaining liquid volume.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 19'
After having bearings repacked for long trip, left les swab’s exit which is angled badly. Bent the tongue jack badly. $117.00 later new jack but while waiting saw this. Wondered if anyone has experience w device? Wilson’s rv uses it to monitor their big tank outside & recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
4A78C26A-3EA6-441E-A9C5-7108EC45065E.jpg  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
Getting back to my original question: has anyone found, or created, a method for determining how much propane remains in a tank?
Not real scientific just kinda experience, but I hit mine with the car keys. The ring tone tells me about where it is. If it rings a certain tone I then unbolt and lift it which the weight gives me a closer estimate. Fails both the ring test and the weight check, I flip the supply over and remove that tank to refill. Also, know approx time each tank will last based on what I've been using.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane