Marshall Excelsior propane regulator changeover valve troubleshooting - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
After having bearings repacked for long trip, left les swab’s exit which is angled badly. Bent the tongue jack badly. $117.00 later new jack but while waiting saw this. Wondered if anyone has experience w device? Wilson’s rv uses it to monitor their big tank outside & recommend.
huh, I wonder how those work? could be ultrasonic, I suppose?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... saw this. Wondered if anyone has experience w device? Wilson’s rv uses it to monitor their big tank outside & recommend.
That appears to be Tank Check from Mopeka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
huh, I wonder how those work? could be ultrasonic, I suppose?
Yes, that's what the sensor manual says. Given that the sensor is stuck to the bottom of the (vertical) cylinder, and that there are comments in their FAQ about the liquid surface, and a rubber pad and coupling grease, I think that would have been a safe assumption. Basically it echo-ranges the distance from the tank bottom to the liquid surface in the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
The model I ordered was the MEGR253H from Marshal Excell … this seems to be the model that several from this forum have preferred.
It will likely work just fine but you don’t need the high flow “H” model with the maximum propane flowrate of an Escape.

This one is shipped and sold by Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/MARSH-EXCEL-ME.../dp/B00KPR9Q30
Old 01-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It will likely work just fine but you don’t need the high flow “H” model with the maximum propane flowrate of an Escape.

This one is shipped and sold by Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/MARSH-EXCEL-ME.../dp/B00KPR9Q30
That was the same regulator from Amazon we replaced ours with .Didn't need the "H" model . Has been working fine now 4 years . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
5 trailers in 3 years, I think your ahead of Jim.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
My auto changeover never really worked. It always stayed green even on an empty tank. After reading reviews here and elsewhere I decided not to buy another one. I weigh the tanks periodically and write the date and weight on a piece of painters tape and place it on the tank. I bought a fish scale at a local bait and tackle store. Works for me!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
After having bearings repacked for long trip, left les swab’s exit which is angled badly. Bent the tongue jack badly. $117.00 later new jack but while waiting saw this. Wondered if anyone has experience w device? Wilson’s rv uses it to monitor their big tank outside & recommend.
I use those on both tanks on my 21 and also my grill at home. Nice to view your level or % on a phone! Only caveat is you need to be fairly close to the tanks for a reliable communication.

https://mopeka.com/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use those on both tanks on my 21 and also my grill at home. Nice to view your level or % on a phone! Only caveat is you need to be fairly close to the tanks for a reliable communication.

https://mopeka.com/
Thanks much Charlie.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i've never gotten the auto-changeover indicators to work on either my casita or escape, either. they seem to switch over, when the tank the lever is pointing to empties, it then drains the other tank, but the indicators are always green. the two trailers have two different styles of changeover valves, too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve never had issues with regulators on either of our Escapes. They’ve always worked for us as designed. I did have to replace the hose pigtails on our 17B when they started leaking through cracks. They were six or seven years old at the time.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to reread the instructions for the switch-over every time I want to check my tank levels. It can be confusing.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 19'
The Mopek seems interesting, but have not tried it.

I use the Truma LevelCheck. Not as handy as the Mopek, but I got it at Quartzsite for $50usd
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Very timely post and thread …

My propane regulator has started to whine when I have both the furnace and something else operating. It can be pretty loud on the outside of my trailer. I figured that my regulator was failing (doesn't make a sound with one appliance operating). I ordered a new regulator from Amazon
($43.90 US) and it came pretty quick - happy about that. The model I ordered was the MEGR253H from Marshal Excell … this seems to be the model that several from this forum have preferred.

When I opened the box I found the regulator without protective packaging and all ports open without 'plugs' to protect from getting foreign debris inside the regulator. My package was poorly packed and its obvious that the regulator had beat up the inside of the box during shipment - I found about a teaspoon of very fine cardboard "dust" inside the shipping box. I'm concerned that potentially some of this 'dust' could have made it inside my regulator and upon hooking it up this 'dust' could make it to my appliance orifices and plug them up. I guess my plan is to return to Amazon and buy one off the shelf at some store …. hopefully, it will come in a blister pack to keep it clean.

Any thoughts? I do have an air compressor that I could use to blow it out but …. not sure. I am thinking about running my trailer from Western Washington to Juneau by road in March. Potentially a very cold trip up through interior BC, Canada and if I do that trip …. likely will appreciate some heat. Still thinking about that one.

Looking for comments on two things 1) what to do about the regulator 2) Am I off my nut thinking about a run North at that time of year? 1600 miles or so ...
I just received mine from Amazon and it was shipped the same way. It was tossed loose in large box along with several other items. No bubble wrap. It had beat up the inside of the box.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane