Microwave on an Inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Microwave on an Inverter

Is anyone using the ETI installed MW off an inverter? if so how's it working out for you? Do you find it sucks too much power so you don't use it?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Any inverter falls into that category. Yes, it sucks power big time and to make it worse most have a display that shows you just how many amps its' using.

So I think it's a comfort level thing. I don't like seeing big amps going out of the batteries but I've had inverters for 30 years and I know it's only a short term situation. A few minutes of inverter use shouldn't be a problem if the batteries are in good shape. And the trade off, a nice bowl of hot soup on a cold day and no pot to wash.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
See:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-a-3835-2.html post #15
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ar-3898-2.html post #12
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...well-2223.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Any inverter falls into that category. Yes, it sucks power big time and to make it worse most have a display that shows you just how many amps its' using.

So I think it's a comfort level thing. I don't like seeing big amps going out of the batteries but I've had inverters for 30 years and I know it's only a short term situation. A few minutes of inverter use shouldn't be a problem if the batteries are in good shape. And the trade off, a nice bowl of hot soup on a cold day and no pot to wash.

Ron
Not to suggest adding another "toy" to your Escape, but installing a battery monitor such as the Bogart Industries Trimetric 2030 will let you keep track of exactly how many amp hours go into & out of your batteries. Far more accurate than the built in trailer monitor or even the GoPower panel if you have solar. It lets you know if it is a good time to use the inverter, or hold off until you recharge the batteries...
Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #5

I installed a 1500 w invertor and switched my power to the microwave to full time invertor. Problem was the battery jumper beteen the 2 6 volts was too thin. Needed 4 gauge or larger. And my needs are for warm latte milk for Mrs. Nothing much more...
Nice to have options.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks folks, think I'll go with the Prowatt SW 2000 (why do they call an 1800W unit a 2000?). Want to get the 120v plugs in the loft on inverter as well as the MW, got lucky in the fifth wheel and they are both on the same circuit. If I put in a big enough inverter I can redirect the output of the breaker panel to a small auto xfer switch and have both the MW and the loft 120v on the inverter.

I have the 2030 battery monitor so keeping an eye on the power use is no big deal. Really great toy for those who like to over analyse things.

Already figured I had to bump up the existing battery cables, Xantrex manual says0awg, think that'll be the hardest part.

Hadn't thought of it, but does the chassis ground cable need to be brought up to 0awg too? I haven't traced it yet but have the feeling it's buried in the under carriage insulation.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... (why do they call an 1800W unit a 2000?). ...

Hadn't thought of it, but does the chassis ground cable need to be brought up to 0awg too? I haven't traced it yet but have the feeling it's buried in the under carriage insulation.
Marketing.

Not if you direct wire both wires (+ and -) between the inverter and the battery.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote