More on Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: More on Batteries

While it is undoubtedly not be nearly as accurate as using a hydrometer, I find that this small inexpensive monitor works well for me to check the relative state of charge of our dual 6v system. http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Bat...8&sr=8-1-spell

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Gerda,

I bought one of these at Amazon based on reviews there. It has worked very well for me at a very reasonable price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharms
I started shopping around for a decent 3-stage battery charger for deep cycle batteries myself, and got curious as there is a lot on the market. I have, same as Paul, 2 6V batteries on Cafe Egg. Which brand would you recommend? And of the brand, which model would you get? Furthermore, would you go with one made for 6V or 12V? This is still confusing to me.

Now this weekend I will be entirely off-grid, I prohibited myself to bring any computer to this camping trip. I will pick up my kid at daycare after I get off of work, and off we go. So I will only Sunday get a chance and read any answers.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: All... I find batteries of any kind to be one of lifes little mysterys!!! No matter what they're in they will fail at the worst possible moment. Taking pictures at a wedding...poof. Traveling on a holiday...poof. Boondocking in the deep woods...poof. YMMV. Thank goodness there are lots of places to get a new one or two. One problem we have with the 5.0 is the battery is located in the rear storage bin/ vented to the outside. It requires a wrench and screwdriver to remove the sealed case lid.
I just keep the trailer plugged in frequently and use the monitor. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA

fudge_brownie

Flooded cell deep cycle batteries are made to be discharged. A 20% to 30% depth of discharge or 80% to 70% state of charge is good for the battery. This cycling of discharge and recharge keeps the plates & acid in good condition. The general practice is to discharge the battery to 50% or use half the battery's amp hours. A 200AH battery would produce 100AH, be recharged fully, and do this many times over many years. This does not mean you have to discharge to 50% level every time before charging. The worst thing you can do is discharge the battery 2 to 3% and then recharge it, and do this over and over again.

I am unsure what type of inverter(converter)/charger your camper is installed in it. You should first read the owners manual and determine if the charger is designed to charge the type of battery you have. Smart chargers do not do the job differently than other chargers they just allow you to leave the batteries hooked all the time with no worry of over charging.
If you intend to use solar then the solar charge controller can become your smart charger and isolate or disconnect you camper's converter/charger. Your batteries should still be supplying 12V to the camper with the batteries being charged from the sun.

gharms

Two 6v batteries in series are treated as a 12v when charging. You have to 6v because with one 6v battery design a manufacture can offer a wide assortment of voltage levels by simply connecting the batteries in series to multiply voltage, or parallel to multiply amp hour capacity.

I would first make sure my converter/charger is designed for the batteries I have and that it is functioning correctly and then move on to a better charger. The best brand is the one you have researched, and assured the operation matches your needs.

Batteries should not be a hassle that takes you away from the trip, with a little study, and preventive maintenance you can move on to more fun stuff.

strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

You are correct, Lead acid batteries develop a memory. And if you only use 2 or 3% and then recharge every time the next time you use say 20 or 40 % it will tell you it has a low charge or in fact is dead.

You need to exercise a lead acid battery down to at least 50% 2 or 3 times a year to keep it reliable. Some modern day chargers have a cycle option on them. It will bring a batteries charge down to a specific voltage and then bring it up to a full charge.

Mike
Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #16

This is a very extensive source of battery information: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Eric

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Thanks for the great link, lots of good useful information.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #18

Another Battery Question:

What is the proper use of the DC switch inside the trailer? I have been turning off the DC when plugging into a 120V outlet. The other day I measured the batteries [2 6volt in series] and the Specific Gravity was 1.210. I turned off the DC switch and plugged in the 120V AC. 48 hours later I tested the batteries - no change from previous readings?? Looked in the Escape Owners Manual didn't find anything on the use of this switch. I understand the Converter is the proper three stage type of Converter. Should this switch be on for charging from AC?

Thanks

Ronliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I believe the switch is a battery disconnect. The only time mine goes off is for long term storage, so nothing can possibly put a drain on the batteries.

I would have thought though, that it would be wired so it could be charged when the trailer is plugged in, regardless of the switch on or off, but it sounds like it might not be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

I don't know if they are all wired the same, but I have the solar option on my 17B. The solar is connected to the batteries no matter which position the disconnect switch is in while the converter & vehicle tow line are disconnected when the switch is off.

Makes sense - the solar panel keeps the batteries charged over the winter. I even had enough solar charge current to keep the batteries full with the Escape supplied cover over the trailer.