More Solar!!! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My 100 watt portable un-folded solar panels also served me (dual 6v batteries) well at the Q-Rally but we are also not big power consumers. Can you find Solar-Wally?
Attached Thumbnails
Qz048.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One consideration for additional solar panels (other than camping in the shade) is the time of year. I have 195 watts of panels on the roof of my 17 & it is plenty in the summer. During the winter I need the addition of a portable panel - I have a 160 watt panel from Solar blvd. I've wired it so that I can use it with the built in controller or feed directly from the panels to the input of my GoPower controller built into the trailer. I monitor the usage with a Bogart 2025 battery monitor.

I do use quite a bit of electricity - I use an inverter to make a pot of coffee each morning, and also often make toast. That, along with lots of computer, camera & cell phone recharging, a cell phone amplifier & the furnace at 58°F had me averaging 30 amp hours during December & January, sometimes as high as 40 amp hours. As the sun angle improved, the need for the portable panel dropped.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Good info Jon

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I'm guessing, On Top of The Camper Shell?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I run off the solar on sunny days.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I finished my solar project over the weekend. I have a 120 watt portable solar suitcase that runs to a Xantrex c35 inside the trailer. The hardest part was deciding what connectors to use, and how to run the wires.

What I did was make a waterproof junction box that mounts on the trailer frame underneath the propane tanks. I have 10 gauge cables that run from the junction box to the charge controller, through the hole where the battery ground connects to the chassis. For the solar connections I used 1/4" stereo cables. Here why:

1) I already have a bunch of beefy stereo cables with different lengths. They are very flexible and I love the single input.
2) The female stereo connector fit perfectly into the hole of the junction box, as did the 30A toggle switch.

I metered the output at the solar panels and where the wires connect to the charge controller. No loss. No holes. A cheap DIY portable solution that works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0048.jpg   IMG_0051.jpg  
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Daubsy,
You may want to check your propane platform for water retention, a lot of rust appears in the picture. I drilled several holes tallow water to drain out, also keep those hole open.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Daubsy,

What solar panels are you using? I've been looking for a suitcase without a controller.

I'm guessing you used the tip and ring on that 1/4" connector...not the sleeve? (Looks like a metal barrel on the plug which is probably connected to the sleeve.) Nice solution,

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Daubsy,

What solar panels are you using? I've been looking for a suitcase without a controller.

I'm guessing you used the tip and ring on that 1/4" connector...not the sleeve? (Looks like a metal barrel on the plug which is probably connected to the sleeve.) Nice solution,

Glenn
I got mine from SolarBlvd a while back but it looks like they don't sell them anymore, or are out of stock.

It makes sense to use the ring but the other female connector that I used for the panel end only had two leads, tip and sleeve. I will probably finish them off with some plasti-dip.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote