My compost toilet installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Just curious. Would escape install the toilet for a price, including drilling the hole for the ventilation? I will be using a composting toilet in my future 5.0 as well and it would be great if they would could do the drilling at least, or even the full install? I think I would ask them to 'convert' the black tank to freshwater, thereby doubling my freshwater capacity for extended boondocking!

Also is the hose provided by airhead long enough to reach the ceiling for ventilation? Would you have to shift the toilet forward if you did decide to attach the hose for ventilation?

ETI didn't want to install the composting toilet for us, so I specified that the platform not have the conventional toilet flange. If I do install the exhaust hose I won't have to move the toilet and it will go through the side. I sent ETI a picture of where I would install the hose and they stated I would not drill through any wires, hoses, etc. If you wanted to install the hose through the ceiling, you'd have to order a longer hose from Airhead.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
If you were to take a shower do you need to put a cover over the toilet to keep shower water from filling the urine tank or is the seat lid sufficient?
Old 07-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
If you were to take a shower do you need to put a cover over the toilet to keep shower water from filling the urine tank or is the seat lid sufficient?

No. the composting toilet has gaskets that seal it.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #24

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
HI jkordzi,

In another post you mentioned you were keeping the black tank to divert liquids tank to. I couldn't find your description of that part of the installation. Could you elaborate please? I too am installing a composting toilet in my 5.0. I had asked eti to replace the black water tank with a fresh water tank, to double my freshwater capacity, but it seems that may not be possible. My second best option I think would be to keep the black tank and divert the liquid tank to it.

thanks!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #25

Our primary reason for retaining the black tank was the ability to install a conventional toilet for resale. I've seen other posts about how to install a diverter to run the grey water into the black tank as well, but we haven't done that yet. So far, as you imply, fresh water is the limiting factor on how long we can stay out and so increasing grey water storage is not a priority, especially since the options for discharging grey water are much greater than black. Our strategy is to bring along three 6 gallon jerry cans for fresh water that we carry in the back of our truck, more than doubling our fresh water capacity.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are talking about the 5.0TA, the fresh tank holds 28 gallons.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you are talking about the 5.0TA, the fresh tank holds 28 gallons.
You're right - I checked the specs and that's what is stated. Odd. When the fresh water gauge above the refrigerator gets down to almost empty, the three 6 gallon jerry cans more than fill it up, so I assumed it was 15 gallons. Guess that gauge is not very accurate.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
When the fresh water gauge above the refrigerator gets down to almost empty, the three 6 gallon jerry cans more than fill it up, so I assumed it was 15 gallons. Guess that gauge is not very accurate.
That gauge has a sensor corresponding to each level, so the corresponding volumes correspond to heights at which the sensors are installed. Those installation heights are unlikely to be precisely determined, so I would consider this type of display (in any brand of RV) to be "near empty/low/medium/high" rather than actual thirds of the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #29

Trailer: Future 5.0 owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynStride View Post
You got an airhead. Why that one? In my research I am pretty sure I would want a Natures Head toilet.
You installed in a 5 TA - I wish I had better specs on the sizes of bathrooms because a composting toilet needs also to be able to be opened to remove the solid waste container as well as the urine container. Those stock toilets are on a riser - I would prefer a flatter shower base..
And I plan to live f/t in my Escape, often boondocking. So a larger grey tank would be preferable to an unused black tank. A lot to think about.....

I had these same thoughts. I'm going to ask if Escape can combine the tanks and redirect the urine to the grey tank.
TexanAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #30

Trailer: TBD
Sorry to contribute to the drift of this thread but I think this PDF is a good guide for pet waste disposal, at least in the state of Washington.
https://snohomishcountywa.gov/Docume...each_FAQs_2018

Here's another article:
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/li...ter-your-pets/
Old 10-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Installation was easy, and only took about 30 minutes, using a drill, a countersink for the screws, and a screwdriver. Attached are pics of the brackets (with the needed countersink), and the finished installation. The screws get run through the fiberglass and into the wood framework underneath.
What length screws for the brackets? This would be critical as to not go through into the black tank below with 8 holes (if it were ever going to be used in the future).
Old 07-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19
See what some people in the sanitation industry have to say:

https://www.insidescience.org/news/i...osting-toilets
DanielK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
No. the composting toilet has gaskets that seal it.
Hello jkordzi, I know you did not want to get into a conversation about the pros and cons of this type of waste desposal and I read the references others included links to so that makes snse. The question I have is simply how do you get rid of solid waste. Is it in a bag that you dump in the trash? Do you shovel it out? does it fall into a plastic container that you dump? Just trying t undestand how this works.
Thank You
Barry
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Hello jkordzi, I know you did not want to get into a conversation about the pros and cons of this type of waste desposal and I read the references others included links to so that makes snse. The question I have is simply how do you get rid of solid waste. Is it in a bag that you dump in the trash? Do you shovel it out? does it fall into a plastic container that you dump? Just trying t undestand how this works.
Thank You
Barry
Just read this morning what a Airstream owner does , dumped his bag in the dumpster . And the liquid in the bushes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just read this morning what a Airstream owner does , dumped his bag in the dumpster . And the liquid in the bushes . Pat
Thank You Pat
I suppose we could dump the liquid at the dump station as well
Old 07-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Thank You Pat
I suppose we could dump the liquid at the dump station as well

...at the same time as you dump the "solids". What could be easier? And then it goes through a septic system instead of into a landfill.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
...at the same time as you dump the "solids". What could be easier? And then it goes through a septic system instead of into a landfill.
This is what I would be worried about gbaglo. Does the medium in the toilet Coco or Spghnum plug up a septic system? or become a problem when pumping out the black water holding tank at a dump station. I think it might so the only option is throwing the solids in the waste?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm suggesting that you not use a composting toilet ( which doesn't compost instantly ) and that you use the supplied toilet and black tank. That is the best option.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
This is what I would be worried about gbaglo. Does the medium in the toilet Coco or Spghnum plug up a septic system? or become a problem when pumping out the black water holding tank at a dump station. I think it might so the only option is throwing the solids in the waste?
You could always convert your toilet back to a flush toilet, and not have to worry about adding coco or sphagnum and how to dispose of it afterwards.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm suggesting that you not use a composting toilet ( which doesn't compost instantly ) and that you use the supplied toilet and black tank. That is the best option.
Yes we have the supplied toilet in our 19