My compost toilet installation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
My compost toilet installation

Warning: I'll be discussing the nitty gritty details about composting toilets.

When we recently purchased our 5.0TA, we specified no toilet be installed, because we wanted to use composting toilet. We did get the black tank installed in case a future owner wanted to go back to a conventional setup.

In my mind, the benefits of a modern composting toilet are that you're not tied to your black tank, and you don't use your up your fresh water to flush, so you can stay out longer. By "modern," I mean a urine diverting composting toilet, in which the urine goes into a removable tank and the solids go into another. Separating the urine from the solids prevents odors and allows the composting process to occur. The solids gets mixed with the composting medium, which in our case is coconut coir, which is first mixed with a little water. After each use, the crank on the side is spun a few times. After a few days, the urine tank get emptied. The soilds tanks can accommodate about 3 weeks of use from 2 adults.

I installed an Airhead composting toilet at the first place we stopped. Airhead offers several models (https://airheadtoilet.com/the-air-he...ls-dimensions/). We got the marine seat with the flat back. Installation was easy, and only took about 30 minutes, using a drill, a countersink for the screws, and a screwdriver. Attached are pics of the brackets (with the needed countersink), and the finished installation. The screws get run through the fiberglass and into the wood framework underneath. Because the composting toilet sits up higher to accommodate the soilds tank, a stool is needed.

The toilet came with a small fan, like the ones used in a desktop computer, that fits into a housing and is connected to the toilet via a flexible hose. The purpose of this fan is to draw air through the toilet and route it to the outside, which removes any musty smell from the compost and aids in the composting. After watching a couple of videos of similar installations that didn't use it, I left it out because I couldn't quite bring myself to drill a 2" hole in our new trailer. After 3 weeks of continuous use, we didn't have any issues with odors, so for now I'm leaving it out. Were I to install it, I would drill the hole through the bathroom wall and mount the fan and housing to the wall and cover the outside opening with a marine stainless grill I got from West Marine. The hose connects from the housing to the toilet. I would have to run the 12 volt line through the other wall behind the toilet and connect to the 12V lug and ground wire that runs through the storage compartment where the landing gear switches are located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet2.jpg (84.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg toilet1.jpg (107.5 KB, 80 views)

jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 ft
Simple and clean install

I hope you get many years of trouble free service from it

TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Nice job. Where do you dispose of the urine? How do you know when the compost is done? Does it reach the required 160 degrees F for 3 days to get proper pathogen destruction? If not how do you dispose of it safely? In my mind if there is no pathogen destruction a dumpster is NOT safe or proper. Have you thought about one of those solar powered vents often used on boats?

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great idea but as a Drinking Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant operator it is important to me to dispose of my waste properly. Urine is a great source of nitrogen (a great advantage used properly or a powerful pollutant if not) and feces not properly composted can be a real hazard. Composting is a great way to turn our waste into a resource but it can also lull people into thinking they are doing a good thing when if not done properly can really be a bigger problem than other disposal methods.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Were I to install a solar powered fan, I'm assuming I would also have to cut a hole (presumably in the ceiling). If I really needed to ventilate the toilet, I could simply open the lid, pull open the lever to the solids tank, and operate the overhead fan in the bathroom. But I haven't needed to do that so far. Regarding the disposal issue, there are a number of references from composting toilet manufacturers that you can find on the Internet that cover this. I'm going to decline to start a long protracted debate on this forum concerning the subject.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
Were I to install a solar powered fan, I'm assuming I would also have to cut a hole (presumably in the ceiling). If I really needed to ventilate the toilet, I could simply open the lid, pull open the lever to the solids tank, and operate the overhead fan in the bathroom. But I haven't needed to do that so far. Regarding the disposal issue, there are a number of references from composting toilet manufacturers that you can find on the Internet that cover this. I'm going to decline to start a long protracted debate on this forum concerning the subject.
I am truly interested in the process for an RV. I have seen and understand the composting process on a larger scale and know that if well tended it can work very well but am a bit baffled by the smaller scale unit and how it inactivates pathogens. I have looked on a number of websites for these type of units and am not able to find good technical references to answer my questions. Can you help? I am not interested in a debate either I am just looking for good info to satisfy my technical background
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 - Salish "See"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I am truly interested in the process for an RV. I have seen and understand the composting process on a larger scale and know that if well tended it can work very well but am a bit baffled by the smaller scale unit and how it inactivates pathogens. I have looked on a number of websites for these type of units and am not able to find good technical references to answer my questions. Can you help? I am not interested in a debate either I am just looking for good info to satisfy my technical background
The web site "Gone with the Wynns" covers the topic in several videos. They set up their motor home for living off the grid and shared their experiences, everything from Solar, Composting toilets, to boon docking tips. They have since moved on to sailing the world in a Catamaran (where they use composting toilets!) but their RV videos are still on their web site. Here is a link to one of them.

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/com...-big-questions
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Another way to look at this is that a great amount of baby diapers, used cat box litter, dog refuse, etc. is legally disposed of in the trash every day. Of course, none of this is composted and no thought is given to the destruction of pathogens.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
Another way to look at this is that a great amount of baby diapers, used cat box litter, dog refuse, etc. is legally disposed of in the trash every day. Of course, none of this is composted and no thought is given to the destruction of pathogens.

There are bylaws prohibiting such disposal. Just because people are ignorant doesn't make it legal.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
where else would you put dog poop and cat litter and baby diapers? its usually double bagged but it has to go somewhere.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
where else would you put dog poop and cat litter and baby diapers? its usually double bagged but it has to go somewhere.

The contents go into the toilet to be treated.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote