Mystery solved - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Mystery solved

Ever since we picked up our camper I have been annoyed that the grey water indicater did not work. It almost never read more than half full even when water was backing up in the shower.
Yesterday both the tanks were reading full for once so I went out to drain. Joanne told me to drain the grey tank first--when I did the black tank indicator went right to the bottom.
AHA! I guess the leads are switched. Now I can either remember which is which, or fix it.
When I was getting inspected I asked the tech to find out why my cable had never worked. He told me that all of the connectors were shorted out. Fixed it and we have cable.
Now I just have to fix the Maxx fan and refrigerator light.
Dick

Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Ever since we picked up our camper I have been annoyed that the grey water indicater did not work. It almost never read more than half full even when water was backing up in the shower.
Yesterday both the tanks were reading full for once so I went out to drain. Joanne told me to drain the grey tank first--when I did the black tank indicator went right to the bottom.
AHA! I guess the leads are switched...
Congratulations on the diagnostic success!

By the way, normal practice is to dump the black tank first, so that the relatively less icky grey water can flush out the sewer hose.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Congratulations on the diagnostic success!

By the way, normal practice is to dump the black tank first, so that the relatively less icky grey water can flush out the sewer hose.
I usually do,but Joanne had a "feeling".
Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
My goodness ... that's a whole basket full of issues. I would hope that their QA isn't dropping off.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'd definitely send feedback to ETI along with the receipts from the tech who fixed things. Include your VIN so they can trace records to who built what.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd definitely send feedback to ETI along with the receipts from the tech who fixed things. Include your VIN so they can trace records to who built what.
Yeah and it still should be under warranty, so they should be reimbursing you for your repair costs. They really need to know about that and if they can figure out who messed it up, even better.

Was the cable connection shorted out from the beginning? Not good!

I don't know how you could test the tank probes ahead of time, but you'd think they'd hook up a cable connection as part of their testing before the trailer was released to you.

Glad you figured out the tank situation - that would be awfully frustrating.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Wondering how they found out the coax was shorted out.
I have antenna service in the loft, but not in the dinette, very frustrating! I will have a chance to connect to cable in a couple of weeks, guess I'll see what happens.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #8

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't know how you could test the tank probes ahead of time, but you'd think they'd hook up a cable connection as part of their testing before the trailer was released to you.
5.0TA
28 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
28 Gal Grey Tank
30 Gal Black Tank
Just guessing about a tank sensor/wiring test since I don't actually have a trailer yet. Possibly something like this would work with whatever the accuracy of the sensors and indicators is. The important thing being the level indicators increase and decrease linearly for the appropriate tank.
1. Empty Grey, Fresh, black water tanks
2. All water outlets off, all sensors level indicators off (0%)
3. While filling Fresh water tank, watch fresh water sensor level indicator increase linearly 0 to 100% while other level indicators off ..if ok then sensors/wires on fresh water tank are ok and in correct order.
4. Turn on kitchen faucet to drain fresh water into grey water tank and watch grey water level indicator increase linearly 0 to 100% while fresh water tank indicators decrease linearly 100% to 0% and black level indicator remains off....if ok then sensors/wires on grey water tank are ok and in correct order.
5. Assuming you can apply water to toilet to fill the black water tank, fill slowly and watch black water level indicators increase linearly 0 to 100% ..if ok then black water sensors/wiring ok and in correct order.

If you wanted to check the accuracy of the sensors/indicators then using an inline flow meter set for gallons (or quarts) could be used when filling the tanks in the previous steps or gallon containers.

With regard to cable, a simple short and continuity test could be a minimal test.
happy testing....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:54 AM   #9

Trailer: None
They make simulators for testing level probes . You can run a test on the probe and wiring for continuity and accuracy . There is no need to fill any of the tanks in order to test the probes . In my experience shorted coax cables are usually the product of improperly installed F connectors .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21
We have always bought previously owned RV's and never had an issue. Could it be the previous owners worked all those issues out before they sold it? We picked up our Escape Tuesday and our first two days were spent traveling and fixing plumbing. First we could not get water out of the kitchen or bathroom faucet, but water did leak out the connections for the shower head. Fortunately, after checking the forum, someone suggested removing the aerator. Worked - except for the hot water in the bathroom. We needed to remove the entire faucet for that (needed to fix the shower head anyway). Look at what we pulled from the hot water side! Don't think I want to drink the water!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.2 KB, 27 views)

Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote