Need help understanding the power systems in the trailer please - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We were thinking of getting the TV ready option but try watching TV from our laptop first. Laptops run on 12V for recharging right? What if we plug in a better monitor - do you know if that would be 12V or 120?
A lot of monitors or tvs run on 120v where u plug in and then are stepped down to around 12v before entering the appliance.

u can also buy 12v only but selectuon is limited. So go for inverter and u can sop for either.

ken

KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Probably 120. We take a flat screen tv & dvd player. Use it maybe 1 in 10 days, so I wouldn't want one staring me in the face all the time mounted. When we want to set it up we use one of the filler boards and set it up on the bed and watch it from the dinette. Could also use the KT counter.

Was at Henry Coe SP last night and saw the huge TV transmitter out in the valley. Dang- with an antenna we coulda watched some Network commercials instead of seeing that great crescent moon(-;

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Laptops run on 12V for recharging right?
The laptop power cord is A/C to D/C. You'll need a travel adapter with a 12v plug that fits your laptop if you want to run or charge it with 12v. With an inverter, you'd just plug the laptop into the A/C outlet.

By "better monitor" do you mean a TV? If so, I'd recommend one that can run on 12v or 120v (dual power). That way you can use any power source.

Regarding the air conditioning, I would not think of getting the inverter so that in the future you could power it. The biggest inverter ETI offers is 1500 watts, and that's not enough output to power an air conditioner.

Also, if you get an inverter, be aware that its wired to a single A/C outlet, unless you also get the transfer switch and have it wired to all A/C outlets your trailer may have.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Most tv and computers are dc current and the is the reason for the little charger you carry around. You can find a nice dvd/tv combo that operates off 12v on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=12v+tv
In addition you can also find the correct 12v adapter for your computer. Seems illogical to convert 12v DC to 120v AC back to 12vDC Check the back of your new LED tv and look for the voltage, it will read DC
My Escape is all 12v except for a/c and I had 4 extra 12v outlets installed for that reason.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Might be more then you care to know but you can try reading "The 12 Volt Side of Life", 2 parts.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Very helpful link, in language I can understand. I feel a lot better about knowing all this stuff. There's so much to learn, but that too is another reason why we decided to get a trailer. Thank you for sharing.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Solar AC

Quote:
Given that technology changes so quickly, there's a good chance that solar power technology could some day soon be sufficient to power the air conditioner right? And if that's the case we would want the inverter. I think we will get it for now, because "we" are not handy enough to add something like that.
Solar powered AC is unlikely in our lifetime for an Escape. I would plan on AC only when hooked up in a campground or get a generator.

The standard 12 volt fan does do a nice job running on battery. Not so good when it gets really hot out.

The 1500 watt inverter will not run the AC. Even if it did the batteries would be depleted in a few minutes. It is practical for the microwave or television. We chose rely on propane stove, oven, 12 volt television, 12 volt stereo DVD. Only thing we can't do is run the microwave.

I did try out our home bluray player with a cheap $30 plug in inverter and it worked fine. Standard DVD look fine on small TV so not sure if I will bother taking it along. Otherwise standard ETI 12 volt stereo DVD works fine.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
...By "better monitor" do you mean a TV? If so, I'd recommend one that can run on 12v or 120v (dual power). That way you can use any power source...
of course, if your Escape is plugged into 120V power, then all of your 12V outlets will work anyway. So a 12V only tv would be just fine.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
This all comes down to how you plan on using your camper. If you plan on using the microwave for cooking and need a/c for comfort, you will probably need to camp where you have electric. If on the other hand you like camping away from it all, then solar and the use of 12v items is adequate.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: Jill... With our 5.0TA on a sunny day towing we put the 6.7 fridge on battery. The recharge for it is then supplied by the solar panel.
So far the fridge is working as expected...Great!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
"Solar powered AC is unlikely in our lifetime for an Escape. I would plan on AC only when hooked up in a campground or get a generator. "

I don't know what A/C ETI installs but the A/C on my previous 3 trailers all required 30 amps. To get 30 amps you will need either a really big generator or 2 Honda 2000 generators coupled together.

Grant

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote