Need help understanding the power systems in the trailer please - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
skiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jeromesville, Ohio
Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Posts: 589
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think we're going to get an inverter. (Our 21' build date is Sept 14, 2015.) We have a small inverter (Kensington) for charging my laptop; 12V adaptors will take care of our smaller electronics. Watching t.v. isn't a priority, and neither is using a microwave. (We sometimes use both when we're camped with hookups, but not even very much then.) We ARE going to spring for a couple of extra 12v outlets. (We already have a 12v Endless Breeze fan, which I want to be able to plug in outside, under the awning.) It'd be different if we needed a CPAP machine - I mean, I get that. But we boil water on the stove and make coffee with a Melitta, don't use a hair dryer at home, so don't need one at a campground, etc. And it uses power to invert 12v to 110, ya know?

At least, this is my thinking on this so far - for our camping style/needs. YMMV.
Your thinking is right on the money!

We got extra 12 volt outlets based on Cpaharley's recommendation. Even doubled at the nightstand for the TV. Really glad we did.

How does your Endless Breeze work out?
__________________

__________________
Carl,

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I'm with Mary - 12 volts all the way. But I do have one weakness - an electric blanket is so nice on those cold nights. No noise and the electrical drain is manageable, especially if the blanket is on the smaller size.

--
Alan
Be careful running a 120V electric blanket on an inverter. Most electric blankets do not mix well with modified sine wave inverters (the type usually installed in trailers & motorhomes), and will be damaged if run on one. Pure sine wave inverters are OK, but more expensive and less common. The Perfect Fit low voltage blanket is one of the few 120V blankets that will survive on a MSW inverter.

One other consideration - even though they draw fairly low amounts of power, it does add up. Since the inverter inputs draws 10X the amps of the output, even small current draws over long periods can pull down your battery. Some users have used the electric blanket to pre warm the bed, then shutting it off for the night...
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 980
When I was considering options for the Skylark, I puzzled over the inverter question. Someone on the board suggested that if I wanted the inverter, I should "go all the way" or not at all. As I thought about it, the only things we run that need AC are the Air conditioner and the microwave, neither of which are essential (well the Air conditioner is essential some days, but when it is really hot we are probably in a camp ground). We have 12 volt sources for everything else, including charging the laptop. I found a 12 volt charger for my macbook pro on Amazon for less than $30.00 -- much better than an inverter since there isn't any overhead. So far really pleased and pretty sure we could be boon docking for as long as the tanks will hold out.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #54
Member
 
Dave Whiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kamloops, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think we're going to get an inverter. (Our 21' build date is Sept 14, 2015.) We have a small inverter (Kensington) for charging my laptop; 12V adaptors will take care of our smaller electronics. Watching t.v. isn't a priority, and neither is using a microwave. (We sometimes use both when we're camped with hookups, but not even very much then.) We ARE going to spring for a couple of extra 12v outlets. (We already have a 12v Endless Breeze fan, which I want to be able to plug in outside, under the awning.) It'd be different if we needed a CPAP machine - I mean, I get that. But we boil water on the stove and make coffee with a Melitta, don't use a hair dryer at home, so don't need one at a campground, etc. And it uses power to invert 12v to 110, ya know?

At least, this is my thinking on this so far - for our camping style/needs. YMMV.
My thinking exactly. And I have a CPAP machine that I was able to get a 12 volt power cord from the same manufacturer (ResMed) for so I do not need an inverter.

Dave W
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Be careful running a 120V electric blanket on an inverter. Most electric blankets do not mix well with modified sine wave inverters (the type usually installed in trailers & motorhomes), and will be damaged if run on one. Pure sine wave inverters are OK, but more expensive and less common. The Perfect Fit low voltage blanket is one of the few 120V blankets that will survive on a MSW inverter.

One other consideration - even though they draw fairly low amounts of power, it does add up. Since the inverter inputs draws 10X the amps of the output, even small current draws over long periods can pull down your battery. Some users have used the electric blanket to pre warm the bed, then shutting it off for the night...
Sigh...
A good example of how "new and improved" has made things more difficult.

Back in the old days - my inverter was a simple modified square wave with a horrible waveform when viewed on an oscilloscope. But it worked fine with my ancient electric - non-smart - blanket. Which was basically a bunch of resistance wires and a thermal on-off switch.

Now - my electric blanket has its own power supply and smart cold-sensing zones. And my inverter is an expensive pure sine wave design. But I've gotten older and colder.

Maybe it's time for a 12v blanket to simplify my life?



And yes, its a good idea to pay attention to the wattage of your chosen blanket and add about 10 - 15% for efficiency losses to the total.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD (Sold) 2017 21' Escape on Jan. 16th
Posts: 709
Great reading resource... Thanks!

Fred M.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I'm with Mary - 12 volts all the way. But I do have one weakness - an electric blanket is so nice on those cold nights. No noise and the electrical drain is manageable, especially if the blanket is on the smaller size.

--
Alan
A hot water bottle in a fleece envelope placed under the covers at the foot of the bed - or elsewhere - will do as well as an electric blanket....
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
A hot water bottle in a fleece envelope placed under the covers at the foot of the bed - or elsewhere - will do as well as an electric blanket....
Or snuggling. Nothing beats some good cuddling to warm up a bed.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
FMLNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sandia Park, New Mexico
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or snuggling. Nothing beats some good cuddling to warm up a bed.
Employs a different kind of electricity and battery....
__________________
Fran & Dave
2008 Escape 5.0
2011 Frontier Crew Cab Short Bed Pro4x
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Employs a different kind of electricity and battery....
Yes, but a renewable resource, it is.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.