Need information on cords and hoses - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Need information on cords and hoses

My wife and I are picking up our new escape 5.0 on July 3rd........we are not sure what comes standard with the camper for necessary hoses on sewer and gray water as well as power cords for connecting at campgrounds........it does say we have a 12 foot propane connector. Are the other hoses all part of the camper package with the systems installed? Any help appreciated........Michael
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape will provide you with a sewer hose and power cord and offers you a starter kit for $190cn which will have everything you would need to camp. They also have other items available, like a rv mat or plastic blocks for leveling. So between the kit and what they give you plus what they have in their store, you should be well equipped.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
...we are not sure what comes standard with the camper for necessary hoses on sewer and gray water as well as power cords for connecting at campgrounds........it does say we have a 12 foot propane connector. Are the other hoses all part of the camper package with the systems installed?
  • the same common 3" waste dump (sewer) hose is used for both black and gray, which have their own valves but a common outlet; the Escape website's Features list says a 20' hose is included
  • the standard 30-amp power cord is permanently connected to the trailer (and so included); if you get the removable cord option the cord is still included
  • you apparently bought the optional low-pressure propane outlet, so the hose is included to use with that; you need to work out any hardware needed to attach the outlet end (which has a 3/8" female flare fitting) to whatever appliance you are going to use with it
  • the hoses from the propane tanks to the trailer and included and installed on all trailers
  • you need a hose for fresh water, which is just a common garden hose style but you want one that drinking water safe like any RV fresh water hose; one is included with the starter kit if you buy that, but if not get one from Escape for CA$10 (in their Accessories list) or stop at Walmart or whatever
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
List of stuff I brought with me to pick up my trailer:

Sewer hose (the one that comes with the trailer is pretty useless)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rhi...=&wl8=&veh=sem

Sewer hose support (optional but comes in handy)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Sew...8f&athena=true

Water pressure regulator
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bra...4d&athena=true

Water hose
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-25-...86&athena=true

Water Filter
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...1639ec44bca1ab

Water hose elbow (takes strain off plastic water connection at trailer)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-90-...50&athena=true
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Michael, I'd suggest you pick up a cold weather flexible water hose, something like this one.

https://express.google.com/product/1...889509_1699011

I've gotten away with a 25' for for probably 99% of my camping, I do carry another cheap 25'er just in case. I also carry an extra 25' of power cord, that I've yet to use.

The Rhino hose Tex links to is good quality, 15' has worked for me for the last few years. While the one you can get from ETI is pretty cheap quality, I did get 7 years out of the exact same one on my last trailer.

In general, if you pay a little attn to where you park in relation to the hookups before you disconnect the vehicle you can get away without the extra lengths. You can always pick stuff up as you travel, there's a Walmart in every 3rd town.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Michael, I'd suggest you pick up a cold weather flexible water hose, something like this one.

https://express.google.com/product/1...889509_1699011
When I saw the writeup on this hose, I thought Great!, I need one of these. Then I went to Amazon and read the reviews. The hoses develop black mold? From review: "begins to develop mold within 3-4 months after installation"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9OCWJO...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
When I saw the writeup on this hose, I thought Great!, I need one of these. Then I went to Amazon and read the reviews. The hoses develop black mold? From review: "begins to develop mold within 3-4 months after installation"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9OCWJO...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Can you just run a little bleach solution through the hose every so often to knock out the mold? My dad used to do that; he'd put some bleach solution in his water hoses and then screw the ends together, move things around so the solution would circulate, and after a time (don't know how long), he'd dump and flush the hoses. His vocation was as water sanitation engineer, so I assume it was a safe practice (and effective).
Old 05-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Electrical adapter

As noted above, your trailer will come with an extension cord built in - it has a 30 amp male plug, the type available at many/most campgrounds.

We have found it helpful to bring along an adapter, however; specifically a "15 Amp Male to 30 Amp Female". Attached are two pictures of them from Amazon (sorry, no links on the pictures). We especially appreciate the 'dog bone' adapter, because it relieves some stress on the 30 amp that you plug into it from your camper.

Enjoy your camping adventures!

David A
Pittsburgh
Attached Thumbnails
Adapt 1.JPG   Adapt2.JPG  
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Power at ON Prov Park sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
. I also carry an extra 25' of power cord, that I've yet to use.
Rest assured Bob that you will need that cord if you decide to camp at an Ontario Provincial park with power. They now put one connection post by the road between two sites. Last fall not only did I have to use my spare cord but had to put the trailer further forward than I wanted it
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
They now put one connection post by the road between two sites.
Really? Wow, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Apparently the cost of copper wire has affected campground design. The 30 to 15 adapter and the 50 to 30 adapter are handy and we use one or both more than once a season.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Just noticed where you are starting your drive from. Calais, ME. That is one long drive to Chilliwack. How many days are you planning for the drive?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Or they put one post in the middle between two camp sites. My brother in law refused to purchase a 30 amp extension cord for our cross Canada trip last year. Here is a picture of him using all of our 15 amp cords so he could at least run some fans.
I found Walmart to be one of the best prices in Canada for the cord.
Attached Thumbnails
4D4302FE-25BB-4A20-A1CF-88055A6CBB75.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
Site Team

I had no idea there were so many places up north where the power pole is a distance from the campsite. Is this really common?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #15

Hi Robert
We stayed at the very nice provincial park called The Pinery last summer. The power Bush was right at 45 feet from the camper through some pretty impressive poison ivy. I am not allergic and hooked our camper up and my daughter and son in law too. They had to endure a few choruses of the Coasters classic Poison Ivy as I tended camp. Enlightened camp management, restrooms and showers were cleaned very well by 6:15 AM. Nice park with lots of wildlife and a nice beach.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Well, I'll take that as an indication that it is common Dave.

We've camped all over the lower 48, and at places with hookups, have never once had to use an extension.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #17

Once in a while you’ll stay in a fairgrounds camp where you could set up close enough to the bush but there’s a more level or desireable location with shade, sun, water or whatever that puts electric just out of reach. Some of those fairgrounds sites are pretty big and can be stinky a week or so after the fair.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well, I'll take that as an indication that it is common Dave.

We've camped all over the lower 48, and at places with hookups, have never once had to use an extension.
I've found the problem of wanting one or more 30 amp extension cords at quite a few provincial campgrounds. The photo below is at the Chutes Provincial Park which took some creative parking to reach with the trailer's 30' cord. Since I often dry camp, I've never added a 30 amp extension, but if I'm paying for hookups, I'd like to use them.

There are a few in the US that have had the problem - Not all sites, but in the ones listed below I had to do more creative parking to hook up the trailer with it's 30' cord. I don't remember the campground, but I hit at least one that required adding a couple of #12 extension cords & running on 20 amps...

Moundville Archaeological Park, Moundsville, AL
Stony Brook Recreation, Hanover, ME
Fair Haven Beach State Park, NY

There are quite a few campgrounds in the US that have sites that appear designed for Class C & B RVs, with the hookups on the wrong side, and often at the entrance to the site, requiring you to park towards the front of the site.
Attached Thumbnails
ASD_6654.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
Site Team

Well, I'll give them this Jon - their power poles are nicer than ours.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Once in a while you’ll stay in a fairgrounds camp where you could set up close enough to the bush but there’s a more level or desireable location with shade, sun, water or whatever that puts electric just out of reach.

That's what I find too. The worst example this trip was a pull through site where the sewer was at the curb and out of reach of a my 15' Valterra. Yes I could have jockeyed the trailer on departure for a dump, but I just drove off.

For electric in the West, I have been on the edge of the 30' electric cord reach several times and now carry a 12 gauge extension. In the muddy season, the extension gets used to avoid having to clean the trailer cord.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote