New battery: OUCH - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #71

Trailer: 2008 Weiscraft Little Joe Tug '14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's true. It's really hard to tell. There are only four larger companies that make most batteries. East Penn Deka, Johnson controls, AC Delco and Exide. Exide is going bankrupt and Johnson Controls (Kirkland, Optima and Interstate) moved production to Mexico and their product quality has suffered because of it. Duralast from Autozone and Sears Die Hard are essentially the same battery, since their made in the same plants.

Then you have the smaller independent battery manufacturers like Trojan, which make excellent batteries, and don't make them for other labels. I'd go with something like the latter, but it's strictly a personal preference.
Actually, ACDelco batteries are made by Johnson Controls as well. Though Johnson does have production in Mexico, the plant in St. Joe Missouri and maybe some of is still in production.

Also, same plant does not mean same product. Johnson Cotrols, Exide, and East Penn all make batteries for other companies. Some companies buy the off the shelf products and relabel them. Other companies have the manufacturer build to spec and do random line testing to maintain quality.

The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Actually, ACDelco batteries are made by Johnson Controls as well. Though Johnson does have production in Mexico, the plant in St. Joe Missouri and maybe some of is still in production.

Also, same plant does not mean same product. Johnson Cotrols, Exide, and East Penn all make batteries for other companies. Some companies buy the off the shelf products and relabel them. Other companies have the manufacturer build to spec and do random line testing to maintain quality.
All true. My point was that I personally prefer a battery where I know who made it, i.e., smaller company. But, not always true I admit. I've had really good luck with Deka AGM batteries in my vehicles, and they are of course made by East Penn.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #73

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Does anyone know what a "normal" discharge rate for deep cycle batteries with no load would be? Mine seem to lose charge faster than I would think with the disconnect off and I'm wondering if there is still some drain. But then I haven't been able to find any info on how fast they discharge on their own - just sitting unconnected. I suppose I should use my meter and see if it shows any current draw from the batteries with the switch off.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Give us an example of the discharge rate. You shouldn't see much difference in, say, a week or two or even more.

Also, is your reference starting point a number like 12.6v or a higher number shown after charging?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ron, I have only been monitoring it for a few days. With the dual 6v Interstate Batteries (which mine are), Interstate says these are the "State of Charge":

100% 12.84
90% 12.72
80% 12.64
70% 12.56
60% 12.48
50% 12.20

I waited the 2 hours after charging and had 13.03v, then 5 hours later 12.82 - both of which seem very good. But then after another 17 hours it was 12.74 - about 90% charged. Then after another 24 hours it was essentially the same 12.72. All with the disconnect off.

Perhaps it is very normal to drop that 10%, as it alway seems like that last 10% from 90% to 100% is very hard to get into and keep in any batteries? I notice it with my laptop computer too - that first 10% drop is much faster than any further ones. Maybe this is quite normal with batteries as they age also. I have been very careful to never draw below about 60%, but even then they are still aging.

(FYI my digital handheld multi-meter is rated at 0.8% accuracy )

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Well, the battery experts might chime in and correct me but I don't consider those first two readings to be "real" because I've always believed after charging there's a surface charge that give an extra high reading. I've found that you can dissipate it by turning on a small load for a few minutes. After that the reading you get is your usable voltage.

The fact that is stabilized over the 24 hour reading seems pretty good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #77

Ron, thanks for that input. I have read that you are exactly right, that a small load needs to be applied, and then I have also read to let it sit 2 hours and another that says 12 hours. You'd think with a technology as old as lead-acid batteries that scientific testing would have provided some very precise answers by now, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Every "expert" site seems to have slightly different methods for most everything about batteries.

I think I'm going to just conclude that these Interstates are still doing pretty well for being over 4 years old. (But my curiosity will drive me back down to the shed with meter in hand I am sure.)

Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #78

After a week with the disconnect switch off, the combined 6v battery voltages drain at 0.01v per day.